www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Dance music vs Rap
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Dance music vs Rap 

Techno/House vs Hip hop
Techno/ House 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Hip hop/Rap 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 10

Dance music vs Rap 
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Post Dance music vs Rap
I've noticed specifically here in New York that closed minded "metal heads" generally have an aversion toward rap, but tend to enjoy dance music (house/techno). What are all your thoughts? Any preference?

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:35 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Dance music vs Rap
If they were really 'close minded' they wouldn't like either.

I prefer rap, but dance is OK I suppose, especially if I'm in the right mood and had a few drinks.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:15 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Not a fan of either in general but there are alwqys exceptions. I've listened to dance stuff in the past, even 'danced' to it - usually with chemical assistance TBF - so if I was forced to pick one, I'd go for that.

Actually, I'm a big Orbital fan, so yeah: dance.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:11 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I'm just as big a fan of EDM as I am metal to be honest. Techno is my style of preference. I quite like hardcore hip hop however there's no comparison really.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:18 am
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Stat_Rad wrote:
If they were really 'close minded' they wouldn't like either.

This.

Although that probably means that I'm close minded. Or you know, they just don't appeal to me.

If I had to choose one, it would be house/techno. But personally, I'd be happy if I never heard either style again.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:16 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Hip hop has definitely lasted much longer for me, but dance was massively exciting in the early 90s, especially cos metal ran out of steam at the same time.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:30 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

No thank you.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:31 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Hip hop has definitely lasted much longer for me, but dance was massively exciting in the early 90s, especially cos metal ran out of steam at the same time.

At what point in the 90's did metal 'run out of steam' exactly? The 90's was a damn good decade for the genre. So many new sub-genres emerged. It was an exciting time.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:47 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

91/92 was probably the beginning of the end. By 94/ 95 metal had seriously splintered and things were very c onfused and directionless.

Illegal raves and their evolving electronic music and chemical refreshment were 10 times more exciting than Burn My Eyes type of shite, baggie trousers, grunge, Norwegian silliness, dry & nerdy tech-death and plain average kind of stuff like Sentenced, Iced Earth, In Flames, Nevermore, etc. There were individual albums here and there but as a movement metuLz was on its arse. Itdid survive all that as time went on - but largely by just imitating the past, relying on classic acts to return to form and by sheer weight of the number of bands.

Dance music itself got domesticated surprisingly quickly. By 95/ 96 it was ubiquitous and had lost any kind of edge. By then they were using it as a backdrop in clothes shops. Rap had more creative mileage in the long run -but hip-hop's game has basically been up for a very long time now too.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

There's no way metal ran out of steam that early rob. 1997 was when it started to taper off a bit but the first half of the 90's was extremely strong in my opinion.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:00 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
robitusson wrote:

At what point in the 90's did metal 'run out of steam' exactly? The 90's was a damn good decade for the genre. So many new sub-genres emerged. It was an exciting time.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The exact nadir is very hard to pin down, but it's very tempting to point to the release of Nevermind or the black album as readily identifiable beginning-of-the-end moments.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:46 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

robitusson wrote:
The exact nadir is very hard to pin down, but it's very tempting to point to the release of Nevermind or the black album as readily identifiable beginning-of-the-end moments.

Korn's first album springs to mind, or Sepultura's Roots..

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

More broadly I often thought it was the moment in Terminator 2 when Arnold opens up with the mini-gun on the cop cars and then it says 'human casualties 0.0'. That was the moment when the burdizzo squeezed shut on mainstream pop culture.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:53 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

opaline wrote:
There's no way metal ran out of steam that early rob. 1997 was when it started to taper off a bit but the first half of the 90's was extremely strong in my opinion.

Yeh but 97 was a pretty strong year, so was 98. 99 wasn't bad either. I didn't really start to notice things going slightly 'wrong' until around 2000/2001.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:05 pm

There were some crackin Norse BM and BM related albums up until the early part of the 00's IMO. But then, if you aren't a fan of that stuff...

There have been some storming death and doom albums (and black metal, to a lesser extent, if your idea of black metal is as admittedly narrow as mine) in modern times, but very little that wasn't directly drawing from the early classics. I suppose that is the bigger issue.

The vast majority of what passed for mainstream metal from the mid 90's onwards was fucking gash obviously, and the same is true today really. Soft hearted rubbish, or wacky, kooky novelty shite.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:59 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I've been through phases of both, and tend to like specific niches of both.

I feel like dance wise I'm more into uplifting/ethereal trace stuff. Stuff that when you break it down isn't too dissimilar to some atmospheric black metal in it's structure, driving beat and melodic passages.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

House. Easily.

That said, rap led to trip-hop so there's that too.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

House, deffo. Fuck hip-hop and all that shite.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]