www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Mastodon
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Mastodon 

Best album?
Call of the Mastodon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Remission 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
Leviathan 30%  30%  [ 14 ]
Blood Mountain 28%  28%  [ 13 ]
Crack the Skye 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
Crack the Skye Live 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Hunter 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 46

Mastodon 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Mastodon
I wanted to comment about Mastodon, did a search and they are in no topic titles, nor was The Hunter. This has a poll anyway.

Listening to them recently I can't feel that they are something of a missed opportunity, I understand their success and critical acclaim but the songwriting is just too inconsistent for me. As good as Leviathan is I can't help but feel there's something missing, I can appreciate it on a clinical level but I don't actually enjoy it that much. I prefer some of the tracks on BM and Remission but they are more inconsistent overall. I like how they mix, melodic, "classic" Metal with Sludge and Noisecore, they are exemplary musicians, Brann Dailor in particular, it's just that, a lot of the time, all that stuff is going on to little avial for me .

I thought CTS was utterly beige and the band were playing to their weaknesses - simpler, quieter tracks and attempts at "singing" that are laughable, The Hunter is more of the same and I'll take little or no interest in what they do from now on.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:02 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Mastodon
The Hunter changed my mind about Mastodon and gave me the incentive to check out their earlier albums. I don't get all the complaints about the vocals. They seem fine to me.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:04 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Oh, so you don't like them anyway Dee? :lol:

They've never ever put out anything I don't like. The Hunter was quite a big disappointment for me, it has to be said. I never really understood why everyone loved that album SO much. I liked it, but I just couldn't get with the hype machine on it.

Anyway, Leviathan all the way for me. They are in my feeble opinion perhaps the most competent musicians in the game at the moment (although perhaps not quite as good as Meshuggah). The way these guys play together is just... mind blowing. The way everything interlocks and sounds like they're just feeding off each other... It's fucking amazing. I don't have any complaints about the vocals.

But yeah, most of their albums are 4 fists, Leviathan is 5 fists, The Hunter is 3.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

There's a direct link to the quality of a Mastodon album and how much room they give Brann to go crazy with his drumming.

This is why Remission and Blood Mountain are their best. I went for Blood Mountain because their songwriting had progressed from Remission but that's the only reason.

Today Is The Day's In The Eyes Of God (which has half of Mastodon on there and is how the band got started) is their best material of course. ;)

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:10 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^^Austin must have been right pissed about that!! his ex-band mates form a band that ends up becoming far more popular AND acclaimed than T.I.T.D!!! and for good reason too, because T.I.T.D went down the toilet following their departure.

Mastodon started to bore me around the time Blood Mountain came out.

'The Hunter' was a grower though.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:34 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Stat_Rad wrote:
^^^Austin must have been right pissed about that!! his ex-band mates form a band that ends up becoming far more popular AND acclaimed than T.I.T.D!!! and for good reason too, because T.I.T.D went down the toilet following their departure.

After they left he made Sadness Will Prevail.

This shows you need to get a grip. Because that was a shit-scary double album!

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:39 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Comrade Gene wrote:
After they left he made Sadness Will Prevail.

This shows you need to get a grip. Because that was a shit-scary double album!

Sadness was a step down from the previous record. I liked the sprawl of it, and there was some great material on it, but it just too much really.

Kiss The Pig was just a waste of everybody's time.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:43 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

KTP was a bit shite, aye.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:44 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

There was too really good songs on it. One was called This Machine Kills Fascists or something along those lines, but overall it was just so fucking boring. i couldn't believe how dull it was really.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:45 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I've still not heard Remission or The Hunter, shamefully, but I change my mind about which is my favourite of the other three every time I listen to them. I think they're all very good in slightly different ways. I plumped for Leviathan in the poll, first one I had heard and really has the wow factor.

Still, as Dee said, I think there is something slightly 'missed opportunity' about them. When Leviathan came out the press kept using the "next Metallica" tag, which is daft obviously, but I dunno... amybe they just could have got *slightly* bigger than they are or something? Dunno. The Hunter seems to doing brisk business and got them on Later With Jools Holland, so who knows where they'll go yet.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:21 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I like Crack the Skye the most

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

'Blood Mountain' is my favourite.

I like them a lot overall despite their flaws; they are one of the few metal groups who seem to have an innate understanding of psychedelia. And it isn't the same as Tool or Meshuggah's bludgeoning over and over until the third eye cracks; Mastodon aren't about hypnosis, they're about disorientation. It makes sense their most well known album is nautical in theme, they've made a fetish of pitching, yawing, seasick rhythms.

'The Hunter' sure had its moments ('Curl Of The Burl' splicing QOTSA with Tad) but it was a bit too straightforward overall I guess. I know everyone slates their vocals but I'd rather have that eerie wavering bleat than yet more RAARGH RAARGH RAARGH stuff.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:50 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Powersteev wrote:
I like Crack the Skye the most

Same here.
In fact it's the only thing by them I would say I liked at all.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

No "Mastodon are shit and can safely be ignored" option? One-fist poll. Limp and scented of leek.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:11 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I voted for Blood Mountain, but it was a close one between that and Crack The Skye. I hated Crack The Skye when it came out, thought it was dull as dishwater and a proggy mess, frankly. As has been the case with all of their albums (except for The Hunter, which I immediately liked), I've hated them on release, only to have them grow on me by the time the next one's released but if you put the time in, CTS is well worth the effort when it finally 'clicks'. Blood Mountain is my favourite, though. If it wasn't for Bladecatcher it'd be perfect.

Call Of The Mastodon and Live At The Aragon (to give it its proper name) have no place in the poll, as compilations and live albums don't count. Should have put Lifesblood there, maybe.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Clint Ruin wrote:
'Blood Mountain' is my favourite.

I like them a lot overall despite their flaws; they are one of the few metal groups who seem to have an innate understanding of psychedelia. And it isn't the same as Tool or Meshuggah's bludgeoning over and over until the third eye cracks; Mastodon aren't about hypnosis, they're about disorientation. It makes sense their most well known album is nautical in theme, they've made a fetish of pitching, yawing, seasick rhythms.

'The Hunter' sure had its moments ('Curl Of The Burl' splicing QOTSA with Tad) but it was a bit too straightforward overall I guess. I know everyone slates their vocals but I'd rather have that eerie wavering bleat than yet more RAARGH RAARGH RAARGH stuff.

Interesting comments - I agree. Also voted Blood Mountain.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:17 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:

Listening to them recently I can't feel that they are something of a missed opportunity, I understand their success and critical acclaim but the songwriting is just too inconsistent for me. As good as Leviathan is I can't help but feel there's something missing, I can appreciate it on a clinical level but I don't actually enjoy it that much. I prefer some of the tracks on BM and Remission but they are more inconsistent overall. I like how they mix, melodic, "classic" Metal with Sludge and Noisecore, they are exemplary musicians, Brann Dailor in particular, it's just that, a lot of the time, all that stuff is going on to little avial for me .

Agreed. A band that never quite deliver. Remission was their best imo, not least because what came afterwards should have really maximised their potential and never did. Saw them live as a three piece 3 or so years ago and again it was "less than". A 4 fist band at their very best.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:19 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I liked Mastodon upto Leviathan, I thought Blood Mountain was hit and miss, then completely lost interest after Crack The Skye.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I'd like to purchase it myself, I only have a CDR.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:17 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Sound. I was holding out for the original digipak (with the live DVD) for ages but I doubt I'll get my hands on one of those now.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next