www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:52 am



Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown! 

Fifth album Meltdown
SLAYER - Seasons in the Abyss 80%  80%  [ 24 ]
MEGADETH - Countdown to Extinction 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
METALLICA - Metallica 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
ANTHRAX - Persistence of Time 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 30

 It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown! 
Author Message
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:58 am
Posts: 433
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
I don't have one. Force of Habit I haven't really listened to. I saw the video on headbanger's ball (good day to die or something?), it was quite good but I never got round to buying it. I was already very much disappointed with Impact is Imminent (which I did buy at the time), which was a very uninspired album with barely 3 good tracks and nothing exciting whatsoever. So Force of Habit suffered from that more than the change in direction.

I should download it for completist purposes. I have a friend who was always in the heretic stuff (funk metal, rap metal, grunge, alternative, whatever challenged true metalheads) and he tells me that Force of Habit is a very good album for what it is. But I wouldn't know.


Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm
Posts: 8338
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
Vic wrote:
I don't have one. Force of Habit I haven't really listened to. I saw the video on headbanger's ball (good day to die or something?), it was quite good but I never got round to buying it. I was already very much disappointed with Impact is Imminent (which I did buy at the time), which was a very uninspired album with barely 3 good tracks and nothing exciting whatsoever. So Force of Habit suffered from that more than the change in direction.

I should download it for completist purposes. I have a friend who was always in the heretic stuff (funk metal, rap metal, grunge, alternative, whatever challenged true metalheads) and he tells me that Force of Habit is a very good album for what it is. But I wouldn't know.


Hmm, you disappoint me. I have tried to love it so many times... I like Impact is Imminent and it really is nothing like that, I can assure you. It's as blatant an attempt to mimic the Black album as they could have made. And all the worse, because at least Countdown was a decent album. It has a Elvis Costello cover and a Rolling Stones cover, it's downtuned and slowed down (except for the throwaway Thrash song at the end). It's massively overlong and bloated as well.

I was really hoping you could enthuse me with at least a 9/10 review...

_________________
Why was the Christmas thread unlocked and then locked again??? Completely without justification.


Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:04 pm
Profile
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:58 am
Posts: 433
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
Oh, I remember it is their Black Album and I remember very vividly Gary Holt's interview at the time, where he was saying that he listens to all kinds of music (this was the time where a lot of metal musicians made similar statements), including Madonna and Prince!


Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm
Posts: 8338
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
Vic wrote:
Oh, I remember it is their Black Album and I remember very vividly Gary Holt's interview at the time, where he was saying that he listens to all kinds of music (this was the time where a lot of metal musicians made similar statements), including Madonna and Prince!


Yes.... this cello cover of 'Architect of Pain' is hilariously SHIT


_________________
Why was the Christmas thread unlocked and then locked again??? Completely without justification.


Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:20 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:46 pm
Posts: 9528
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
I like the way Seasons walks this!


Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:21 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:16 am
Posts: 8699
Location: Parker, AZ/Lake Charles, LA
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
Slayer win with their last essential album.

_________________
Cuchulainn wrote:
Schaffer is a fucking imbecile and should just hang up his guitar and then hang himself.


Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:38 am
Profile YIM
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21606
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
Vic wrote:
I feel the complete opposite way about the songwriting. I never skip anything on Youthanasia, minus Elysian Fields, which the chorus gets on my nerves (kinda like Sweating Bullets' does - although the rest of SB is AWESOME), the songwriting is unbelievably addictive. I've spun that album ENDLESSLY.


Youthanasia was a step down in every way except for the production and Mustaine's vocals. The guitar work is more standard, the songs have predictable structures and there is less musical variety (similar tempos etc) etc. It's a very good, but claiming it's a lot better than Countdown is just nuts.

I also disagree about Countdown's production. It's not thick, it has a pancake mix. it's flat as a tack!

The guitars do sound good on Symphony Of Destruction though.

_________________
Image


Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:37 am
Profile
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:58 am
Posts: 433
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
The guitar work is more standard: No, it's actually one of Friedman's most substantial works, by his own admission too, even though most people didn't get it. But it's way more subtle than say Rust in Peace. See on almost every song how many guitar licks are throughout the song, accentuating phrases, being part of the hook, enriching the overall result, introducing choruses or following them, while not being flashy, in your face fireworks. Fucking BRILLIANT.

The same goes for Dave's riffs. They range from simple, catchy muthas like Reckoning Day or Family Tree to that crazy, funky awesomeness that is Train of Consequences or that doom heaviness of Youthanasia or the classic Megadeth-y Blood of Heroes.

On top of that, you get easily Mustaine's best vocal lines (apart from performance), those make half the songs, the melodies he wrote. At the end of the day, Youthanasia has overall BETTER songs than Countdown, they are just schizophrenically CATCHY.

No, no, no, we are very much in disagreement here, Youthanasia is Mustaine's Black Album in the sense of getting everything RIGHT at the right time, in sense of sound, playing, structure, catchiness. Only I think it's an even better album than TBA.


Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm
Posts: 8338
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
The guitars on Youthanasia are lame. Just listen to the start of Killing Road, it needs some balls, but there are no balls. Dave was more interested in wearing nice shirts in 1994 than writing good music.

_________________
Why was the Christmas thread unlocked and then locked again??? Completely without justification.


Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:27 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:46 pm
Posts: 9528
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
I think the cover art was more important on that one than the music.


Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:50 pm
Profile
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:58 am
Posts: 433
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
Really? That's the argument? The intro to Killing Road? Come on, listen to the s/t, Train of Consequences, Blood of Heroes, the guitar sound is PERFECT for the songs, with so much character.

Pfft! :P


Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm
Posts: 8338
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
Vic wrote:
Really? That's the argument? The intro to Killing Road? Come on, listen to the s/t, Train of Consequences, Blood of Heroes, the guitar sound is PERFECT for the songs, with so much character.

Pfft! :P


Youthanasia is the effeminate cousin of Countdown to Extinction. The one thing I will say is that Megadeth were amazing on the Youthanasia tour. One of the best times I've seen them. Better than Titans or RIP tour. Mainly cos Dave didn't open his mouth to speak for the first seven songs. :lol:

_________________
Why was the Christmas thread unlocked and then locked again??? Completely without justification.


Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:49 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21606
Post Re: It's ON: Fifth Album Smackdown!
Vic wrote:
The guitar work is more standard: No, it's actually one of Friedman's most substantial works, by his own admission too, even though most people didn't get it. But it's way more subtle than say Rust in Peace. See on almost every song how many guitar licks are throughout the song, accentuating phrases, being part of the hook, enriching the overall result, introducing choruses or following them, while not being flashy, in your face fireworks. Fucking BRILLIANT..


The leads are good, I'll agree with that, and I've already said that Mustaine's vocals are some of the best he ever did.

His singing is also quite good on Cryptic Writings but the songwriting was really uneven on that record, it doesn't flow like Countdown or Youthanasia.

_________________
Image


Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:37 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.