www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The debutants, massive THRASHTASTIC debuts!
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 1:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The debutants, massive THRASHTASTIC debuts! 

Debut's of Destruction!
METALLICA - Kill em All 31%  31%  [ 16 ]
SLAYER - Show no Mercy 29%  29%  [ 15 ]
MEGADETH - Killing is my Business 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
ANTHRAX - Fistful of Metal 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
KREATOR - Endless Pain 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
DARK ANGEL - We Have Arrived 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
DESTRUCTION - Infernal Overkill 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
SODOM - Obsessed By Cruelty 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
EXODUS - Bonded by Blood 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
OVERKILL - Feel the Fire 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 52

The debutants, massive THRASHTASTIC debuts! 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: The debutants, massive THRASHTASTIC debuts!
opaline wrote:
I've always thought of "War & Pain" & "The Day Of Wrath" as predominantly speed metal records. I hear very little actual thrash metal on either so I've always found it strange that they are still considered as such. "Metal Church" has one or two thrash metal songs but it's clearly a heavy metal album overall.

Unlike today, in the 80s 'Thrash' was a broad label that covered an awful lot of ground. I can well imagine that today, in a music world where every band has to fit in a very specific box, the idea that Metal Church, Voivod and Dark Angel should all fit under the same umbrella seems a bit mad. But one of the best things about thrash was that it didn't all sound the same, which is why all those fucktard nu-thrash bands got it so very wrong.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:39 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I see that written a lot on this forum but I've gotta be honest & say that I always understood a distinction between heavy metal, speed metal & thrash metal & I got into metal in 1987/88. Perhaps earlier than that there was no distinction but there certainly was in the late 80's. Black metal & death metal weren't exactly well defined yet though & were often interchangeable.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:53 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

opaline wrote:
I see that written a lot on this forum but I've gotta be honest & say that I always understood a distinction between heavy metal, speed metal & thrash metal & I got into metal in 1987/88. Perhaps earlier than that there was no distinction but there certainly was in the late 80's. Black metal & death metal weren't exactly well defined yet though & were often interchangeable.

Yes probably by then because of the sheer number of bands there were distinctions being drawn, but you only have to look at the 1985 Speed Kills album: Megadeth, Celtic Frost, Hallow's Eve, Voivod, Exciter, Metallica, Slayer, Bulldozer, Venom, Destrution, Exodus, Possessed... all flying the 'Speed Metal / Thrash' banner.

I think the main distinction came in about 1986/7 when bands like Agent Steel and Metal Church released their second albums, they were toning down the speed and increasing the melodic content (but still with an essentially 'thrash' guitar sound) and it was clear they weren't really the same as bands like Kreator, that's when the Speed Metal thing really started, as opposed to Thrash which suggested more 'aggression' mixed with the speed.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:26 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Mali wrote:
opaline wrote:
Unlike today, in the 80s 'Thrash' was a broad label that covered an awful lot of ground. I can well imagine that today, in a music world where every band has to fit in a very specific box, the idea that Metal Church, Voivod and Dark Angel should all fit under the same umbrella seems a bit mad. But one of the best things about thrash was that it didn't all sound the same, which is why all those fucktard nu-thrash bands got it so very wrong.

Very true. Mali hits the nail on the head. This applied equally to other genres too, such as death metal and black metal. They was much more variety initially. One factor in this was always the focus changing to technique instead of the idea making the genres become more stylised and eventually completely cliched.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:31 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

You can say the same about the Death Metal genre as well actually, to a slightly lesser extent. Deicide, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Death all had significantly different sounds, but all were 'Death Metal'.
Maybe that's what annoys about today's new metal movements, they are not in and off themselves anything original. Djent is seemingly a shit load of bands who all want to play variations of Meshuggah. And I say that as someone who really likes Mnemic (and The Interbeing, even though they really, really sound like Mnemic. Incidentally I noticed towards the end Mnemic were trying to distance themselves from Djent the same way Metallica tried to distance themselves from 'Thrash).
Thrash and Death were not movements based on the blueprint of one band, they were more individual and while Death was principally based on the extreme end of Thrash, perhaps because Kreator, Voivod and C/Frost didn't all sound the same... that's why the early Death metal bands were more distinct.
Apart from the Swedish ones who all sounded like Entombed. Obviously. :lol:

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:52 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I feel obliged to point out that 'djent' isn't a thing. Let's never let that change, eh?

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:24 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Slayer, Metallica, and Exodus

Very narrowly voted Kreator or Overkill but I'd edge Exodus's only decent album as its got the better mixture of intensity, catchy songs, and memorability over Kreator's thrashing madness.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:06 am
Profile YIM
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

RTC wrote:
Slayer, Metallica, and Exodus

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2