www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Is Turbo Lover A Good Track?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Is Turbo Lover A Good Track? 

Yea 82%  82%  [ 14 ]
Nay 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
What's 'Judas Priest'? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Is Turbo Lover A Good Track?
I ask the question of this forum because I genuinely wonder if people do dislike it along with the rest of the album. I don't think anyone will disagree that Turbo was a very lacklustre record; a huge step- down from Defenders. Despite my similar feelings on the matter though, I've always found the title track to be on par with some of their best work of the 80s. I'm wondering if this opinion is shared around here?

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:32 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Is Turbo Lover A Good Track?
The short version is a great pop rock song.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:35 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Good question- but stick this in the 'polls' forum

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:55 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

It rightly won the Tez Survivor for that album and it's the only one off it which has lasted in their set - if either of those facts make a difference for you. The only ones on Turbo that are up there anywhere near it are "Reckless" and "Out in the cold" or maybe "Locked in".

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:27 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Oh, good point Mark. Totally forgot that was made. I'll let a mod move it whenever one spots it.

Robit: Was expecting you to dislike it given the vitriolic stance you have on Somewhere In Time due to the use of synth.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:04 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Both the albums have a lot in common actually. Both step-downs from previous good form & both slicker, poppier and somewhat de-fanged versions of the respective bands. But Priest's change was a blatant attempt to cash in whereas Maiden's just sounded like a worn-out, out of ideas band trying something trendy.

Priest tried to frame Turbo as "experimental" and just trying out new ideas when they re-released it recently, which is patent bullshit. They were clearly just going for the money and it largely failed.

I do like Turbo - same as almost everything Priest. I got into both Turbo and Priest...Live! at the time - that's partly why. But the problem with SIT was that I had heard all the top notch Maiden stuff before I heard it, so it always sounded extremely lame to me - until I reappraised it more recently.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:39 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

robitusson wrote:
They were clearly just going for the money and it largely failed.

Oh they definitely were. Have you seen the television advertisements they had for the album? A little entertaining, but also a little sad.

- Edit: Now that I rewatch this one, I would say it's more sad than anything else.

- Mortiis, 1995

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:50 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I had to research the making of Turbo for the podcast I recorded 3 years ago, and as far as I could tell the band were quite open about what their goals were with that album. It wasn't a covert operation. They wanted to keep growing their audience in the US, which was easily their largest market, far bigger than the UK. The band were watching themselves get eclipsed in the sales department by many hair metal bands (who they influenced) and synth rock crossovers, so they were determined to compete on the new playing field that had been redefined since around the time they released Defenders.

The main problem I have with Turbo is that the songwriting on the whole just isn't that great. It isn't bad or anything, but most of the songs are just OK and nothing more.

Judging by the quality of some the throwaway tracks from those recording sessions (e.g Prisoner of Your Eyes), it's very possible that the best songs may have ended up on the cutting room floor.

Overall it's a difficult album to assess. It's not good enough to praise, but it's not bad enough to outright dismiss or enjoy on an 'ironic' level. It's just a case of a big band trying to get even bigger without fully knowing how to go about it and stumbling along the way.

Whether it had a negative impact on their career or not is debatable. It's true that they never had a platinum record again in the US, but interest in the old guard was waning there anyway, and Priest were still bigger than Maiden in America then. They probably never managed to win back old fans in the US like Maiden did because they took far too long to get their act together again. Maiden always had the global market on lock in a way that Priest never did though, and that was as true in 1987 as it is now.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:08 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

RainbowPrince wrote:

:lol: The global warming hand-wringers would have a fit nowadays.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:58 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Without Turbo we never would have got Painkiller - so overall a worthwhile experiment

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:19 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

No. In fact, I'd go as far to say as Priest's general output is very underwhelming, with the exception of Painkiller.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:01 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

doomrider wrote:
No. In fact, I'd go as far to say as Priest's general output is very underwhelming, with the exception of Painkiller.

false....

fake news... :D

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:23 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

The album on the whole was a blatant sell-out cash grab, and the 'designer' leather gear was a bit embarrassing for all concerned... but Turbo sold a lot of albums (2,5m apparently), I think people sometimes forget that a band is a career as well as 'art'.

But really, KK was way too old for a perm and they must have known that they weren't going to be able to compete with bands like Motley Crue. But back then it was entirely feasible that Priest were nearing the end of their career, if you'd have told me in 1986 that Priest would still be around in 2017 I would have laughed in your face. So maybe they figured they would take a risk and it might pay off massively or it might not.

Of course in hindsight, it looks like a massive 'betrayal' of the fanbase, but that's a rather bad comment on the narrow mindedness of metal fans unfortunately. Yes, the Turbo album is weak, but I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered much if it had been Ram It Down, those costumes and KKs hair would've made the band a laughing stock anyway.

As for lasting damage, I don't think it did them any harm. Ram It Down was a crap album and didn't deserve to sell well, and Painkiller put them back on the map and is a landmark album. I wish they'd split up then to be honest, it would have been a fitting high to go out on, but there you are..

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:36 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Mali wrote:
Ram It Down was a crap album

Piffle! Absolute piffle. Hard as Iron, Ram it Down and Blood Red Skies are absolute monster Priest tracks. Each better than anything on Turbo and as good as the vast majority from Painkiller - on which they could easily belong. Those 3 songs alone make RID more than worthy. The only thing on RID that can truly be called crap is the Chuck Berry cover and that's it.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:21 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Mali wrote:
As for lasting damage, I don't think it did them any harm. Ram It Down was a crap album and didn't deserve to sell well, and Painkiller put them back on the map and is a landmark album. I wish they'd split up then to be honest, it would have been a fitting high to go out on, but there you are..

Artistically perhaps, but the score board doesn't lie. The last time Priest sold a few million copies of one album was back in the 80s. Even Angel of Retribution failed to put them back on top in the same way that Brave New World did for Maiden.

Maiden have been rewarded for staying in their lane whereas Priest have been punished for diverging on the odd occasion. It didn't help that Halford himself was all over the place creatively in the 1990s either.

Dio once said that metal fans never forget, and he was saying this in relation to Sacret Heart, which the older gen of metal fans on here forget wasn't well received at the time and cost Dio plenty of fans.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:48 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Mali wrote:
Ram It Down was a crap album

Piffle! Absolute piffle. Hard as Iron, Ram it Down and Blood Red Skies are absolute monster Priest tracks. Each better than anything on Turbo and as good as the vast majority from Painkiller - on which they could easily belong. Those 3 songs alone make RID more than worthy. The only thing on RID that can truly be called crap is the Chuck Berry cover and that's it.

Rob speaks truth....

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:57 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ram It Down is best appreciated as follows: 1) as a step in the right direction, and 2)as a warm-up to the main event

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:10 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I've made it well known here on more than one occasion that "Turbo" is a real guilty pleasure for me. In fact I really like it. It was my introduction to Judas priest which obviously contributes that that while "Turbo Lover" & "Out In The Cold" are amongst my favourite heavy metal songs of all time. They genuinely give me chills up my spine. I think some of the other tracks are well worth exploring too. It's always seemed strange to me that "Turbo" is regarded as the moment that Priest genuinely sold out because they'd been including some pretty cheesy material which was obviously intended to gain them more commercial acceptance for years & years by this stage. Look at tracks like "Take On The World" or "Evening Star" from "Killing Machine" or "United" & "Living After Midnight" from "British Steel" for example. Even "Screaming For Vengeance" has some pretty cheesy stuff on it. It just seems like people have a harder time with the fact that "Turbo" includes more synthesizers & Def Leppard sounding arena material rather than the Queen, Van Halen & AC/DC plagiarism they'd been committing in the late 70's/early 80's. But that was the sound of the time so I don't see it as any more of a sin. They were doing exactly the same thing i.e. attempting to incorporate the sound of the pop charts into their sound to create a more accessible product. And that was my time too so I feel fairly comfortable with it.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:47 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Ram It Down is best appreciated as follows: 1) as a step in the right direction, and 2)as a warm-up to the main event

I have my own way of appreciating it. I look at the cover and then play British Steel or Stained Class instead.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:08 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

opaline wrote:
I've made it well known here on more than one occasion that "Turbo" is a real guilty pleasure for me. In fact I really like it. It was my introduction to Judas priest which obviously contributes that that while "Turbo Lover" & "Out In The Cold" are amongst my favourite heavy metal songs of all time. They genuinely give me chills up my spine. I think some of the other tracks are well worth exploring too. It's always seemed strange to me that "Turbo" is regarded as the moment that Priest genuinely sold out because they'd been including some pretty cheesy material which was obviously intended to gain them more commercial acceptance for years & years by this stage. Look at tracks like "Take On The World" or "Evening Star" from "Killing Machine" or "United" & "Living After Midnight" from "British Steel" for example. Even "Screaming For Vengeance" has some pretty cheesy stuff on it. It just seems like people have a harder time with the fact that "Turbo" includes more synthesizers & Def Leppard sounding arena material rather than the Queen, Van Halen & AC/DC plagiarism they'd been committing in the late 70's/early 80's. But that was the sound of the time so I don't see it as any more of a sin. They were doing exactly the same thing i.e. attempting to incorporate the sound of the pop charts into their sound to create a more accessible product. And that was my time too so I feel fairly comfortable with it.

The really disappointing album that people never seem to talk about is Point of Entry. It's got one or two corkers but the rest is horrible. I'll also note here that Screaming..is an album of two groups of songs - one brilliant - the other really sub-par

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next