www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - New site skin
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New site skin 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: New site skin
From a business perspective I know why they want to integrate it into the main site. I think they should go ahead and do it if it's more successful and easy to look at than the last time they tried it. This skin is essentially a borrowed one after all with the Terrorizer logo stuffed at the top. Nice as it is, I preferred the speed of the ugly one earlier.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:58 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

JCC wrote:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Can't put it any better than that.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:02 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

They could easily use this scheme as the basis for the new skin, that would be alright. The main issue for me was just how painful it was to look at (plus I really didn't like the save/post/cancel options when posting treads). To me it looked like it had been knocked up on an existing template, that's cool but it would be better if they could make it more similar to the current forum. Not only is this layout/colour scheme pleasant to use it's not so "blimey!" when it first loads up.

If they're going to start playing around with this forum in order to make it tie in with the Tez brand they need to make sure it's actually an improvement on what already exists rather than just slapping another skin over the top. My suggestions would be...

- Get rid of the less used parts of the forum. For example; Sick Sounds, The Hovel, Grindhouse and maybe merge the trading post and shameless plugs section.

- Get some customised smilies. On the TBB forum we use these 'zombie' ones - Image They're nothing particularity flash or exciting but they're a bit different from the default :) ones.

- Look at the sort of people that are using the site. Most people on here are in their 30s, or near enough. It doesn't need to be made flashy and 'metulzzz' like something like UKMU in order to keep the kids happy. Everyone is saying they like this colour scheme so work with that.

- Make sure that the board has at least the same features this one has. Personally I don't think it needs any more, but any less would be a real pain in the arse (the quotes button is a great example).

- Don't over design. Those skulls were just naff, keep it tasteful and relatively simple and it will load better and won't 'go out of date' too quickly.

- Look into the server. I think that's where the issues with speed are.

WarrenSchofield wrote:
FULL OF HARD COCKS!

Zagreus wrote:
I'd do Barbara Windsor.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Perhaps they want to attract a younger crowd? Regfardless, this is the only point that matters:

Enos wrote:
If they're going to start playing around with this forum in order to make it tie in with the Tez brand they need to make sure it's actually an improvement on what already exists rather than just slapping another skin over the top.

Thing is, though, it's their forum, so regardless of how much notice they take of us, and how much they accomodate us (and I'm quite grateful for the forum in the first place, and that they listen at all, don't get me wrong), if they want to bring it into line with the main site/blog, they will. Which, of course, they're entitled to do. I just hope it works, TBH.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Perhaps they want to attract a younger crowd? Regfardless, this is the only point that matters:

Enos wrote:
If they're going to start playing around with this forum in order to make it tie in with the Tez brand they need to make sure it's actually an improvement on what already exists rather than just slapping another skin over the top.

Thing is, though, it's their forum, so regardless of how much notice they take of us, and how much they accomodate us (and I'm quite grateful for the forum in the first place, and that they listen at all, don't get me wrong), if they want to bring it into line with the main site/blog, they will. Which, of course, they're entitled to do. I just hope it works, TBH.

I've always thought of Tez as having slightly older readers, MH seems to be the one for the kids now (that's a whole other discussion though). Personally I think it's a great idea to make all the various aspects as integrated as possible, it's just common sense from a marketing/branding point of view. Forums are a tricky one though. Since social networking has become so ubiquitous forums have taken a knock in popularity. In my opinion they have to be as streamlined and easy to use as possible. Branding is essential but it's useless without the return traffic and an over complicated and/or slow site will put people off.

I've been proper lazy with TBB recently but this is all stuff that I really put a lot of thought into when we were setting it up. I should get back on the case as without constant nursing online communities/zines quickly die. Again, just look at UKMU to see what I mean.

WarrenSchofield wrote:
FULL OF HARD COCKS!

Zagreus wrote:
I'd do Barbara Windsor.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Whatever Mr designer does, two things:

Make sure it gets tested to fuck before you even think about putting it up live.

Take criticisms on the chin and make sure you know what the fuck that you are doing.

Mr Power from the previous forum taught us that. You need to speak to Miranda about him, Mr IT buddy, before you start playing around again - look at the reaction on here due to you changing a skin?

Worst comes to the worst, we'll just hi-tail it back to Blackmoth. Because of that reason alone I think that things will go a little smoothly this time.

Oh yeah, Enos has listed a lot of things for you to keep in mind. Also, keep an option for us to use this current skin/design if we want to.

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:24 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

______ wrote:
I vote NO. Do what you want to the main site, keep the forum the same.

Stop being so stuck in the past!

Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:28 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

A Gnome skin. Just think how cheery that would be.
Anyway, never mind a new skin. When is someone going to fix that bloody Dominion forum?.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:50 am
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

This is new, isn't it? I just noticed it now.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:44 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:

This is new, isn't it? I just noticed it now.

It probably just to make sure that we know this is actually a forum. It's easy to forget sometimes, what with the sites complex and many layered uses.

WarrenSchofield wrote:
FULL OF HARD COCKS!

Zagreus wrote:
I'd do Barbara Windsor.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2