www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - New Metal Hammer is 85% shit, but...
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New Metal Hammer is 85% shit, but... 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post New Metal Hammer is 85% shit, but...
The cover is hilarious. It comes in a cardboard box with a gatefold cover which has one of those 'birthday card' speakers in it... Dimmu Borgir must've sponsored it or something. Fucking hilarious, and a Dimmu badge too! :P

Apart from that this is the worst issue of Metal Hammer I've ever bought, and not cos it's full of Steel Panther and shit like that, it's just every album review seems to be hardcore bands, and there's just very little of interest in there this month. Hey ho.

One thing which did catch my eye though and which I really wish I'd known before is that there is a band called Twilight of the Gods around doing Bathory covers! Fucking hell. That would be awesome if they are any good..

Anyone seen them?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:45 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: New Metal Hammer is 85% shit, but...

And they played in London a few weeks ago.

FUCK.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:09 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Still subscribing to it MM? Or did you buy it off the shelf?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:44 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Subscribing, usually MH is a great place to find new bands. Not this month though....

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:01 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

They played in London and about 125 watched them, the other half the audience walked out after Ensiferum! Kids these days.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:09 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

This will doubtless turn into either an anti-Tez or anti-nu-thrash diatribe very soon.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:24 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

kutulu666 wrote:
They played in London and about 125 watched them, the other half the audience walked out after Ensiferum! Kids these days.

What sort of fuckwit would watch Ensiferum and leave before a Bathory tribute???? :evil:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:40 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Someone who'd buy Metal Hammer?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:18 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Because they're a Bathory cover band? Who the fuck cares. It's not real Bathory. Tribute bands are gay and should die.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:43 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Angry Mob Justice wrote:
Because they're a Bathory cover band? Who the fuck cares. It's not real Bathory. Tribute bands are gay and should die.

Except that there is and never was ANY CHANCE OF SEEING BATHORY LIVE!!!!

And these guys seem to be doing a good job of honouring Quorthon's memory.
I would LOVE the chance to hear those songs played live by a band who obviously cares and who have the talent to do them justice. This is not some bedroom band who are dressing up and making a close proximation of their heroes, this is some very respected musicians performing some awesome songs. The more I think about it the more I'm pissed that I missed it.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:58 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Of course there wasn't. And I don't think Bathory would have worked live anyway, and it's better that the mystery is kept that way, I'd rather not have Bathory tampered with, respected musicians or not.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:18 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Angry Mob Justice wrote:
Of course there wasn't. And I don't think Bathory would have worked live anyway, and it's better that the mystery is kept that way, I'd rather not have Bathory tampered with, respected musicians or not.

Fair enough, I can see your point of view.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:53 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I won't be rushing to see them, but I don't see anything wrong with it in principal, its no different than Abbath doing his Motorhead thing, its not like its the only string to their bow, they are just having a bit of craic doing music they love. Don't know much about Lindgren or the other fella, but Blasphemer and Nick Barker are top metal musicians, and Alan is a totally obsessive fan of Bathory so its treated with reverence at least. They don't seem to be into doing stuff from the first few albums though, which is a bit stupid if you ask me.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:21 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Bathory would have worked just fine live, absolutely no reason why it shouldn't, it's heavy metal innit. I'm assuming Quorthon just couldn't be arsed, which is entirely fair and I respect that enormously. I mean why are Darkthrone still not playing live? Their music nowadays would make more sense in a sweaty dive than through headphones at home.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:28 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

wretched_metal wrote:
I won't be rushing to see them, but I don't see anything wrong with it in principal, its no different than Abbath doing his Motorhead thing, its not like its the only string to their bow, they are just having a bit of craic doing music they love. Don't know much about Lindgren or the other fella, but Blasphemer and Nick Barker are top metal musicians, and Alan is a totally obsessive fan of Bathory so its treated with reverence at least. They don't seem to be into doing stuff from the first few albums though, which is a bit stupid if you ask me.

I think they perhaps felt that so many BM bands had covered all the old songs and that epic albums were a bit overlooked. Personally I like the epic stuff better so I can totally see where they are coming from. Plus the BFD era - TOTG stuff is so immense and unique, and lets not forget influential, it deserves to be celebrated. Also I don't think mixing the two styles would work all that well.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Angry Mob Justice wrote:

Tampered with KTD? How so?

Personally I'd love to go and see these guys belt through some Bathory choons. They'd more than likely actually improve on them I reckon.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:54 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Angry Mob Justice wrote:

Tampered with KTD? How so?

Personally I'd love to go and see these guys belt through some Bathory choons. They'd more than likely actually improve on them I reckon.

I just don't like cover/tribute bands at all and Quorthorn always struck me as someone who was a loner, I just don't imagine their music being played live and don't really think it works!

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:39 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Thanks for telling us about this Mali.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:18 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

i was there at the heidenfest, yes half the crowd left before TOTG, but it was the 16 year olds who had school the next day i guess (twas a monday night). Twilight were very good, Alan is an excellent Quorthon replacement, but you kinda felt a bit like it was pointless, in some ways...timeless music though.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

mgh wrote:
i was there at the heidenfest, yes half the crowd left before TOTG, but it was the 16 year olds who had school the next day i guess (twas a monday night). Twilight were very good, Alan is an excellent Quorthon replacement, but you kinda felt a bit like it was pointless, in some ways...timeless music though.

I can see that. But if I could hear those songs played well at concert volume, that would be awesome. Did they play the song 'Twilight of the Gods'? That song is fucking amazing, and if they did did they play the acoustic bit at the end, I fucking love that, but it's so quiet on the CD.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next