www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - MOTORHEAD 'The World Is Yours' review
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 MOTORHEAD 'The World Is Yours' review 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: MOTORHEAD 'The World Is Yours' review
Dark times for the magazine indeed, if you ask me. It might seem like a small thing to some, but to me it isn't.

This is the sort of thing 'Q' has been pulling in recent years, with the net result being that 'Q' moved from being shit to being really appallingly shit.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:25 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Quite - I really only buy it for the reviews as I don't care who is "really stoked" about thier new album. An altered review could give a false impression.

I know they should be looked at in the light of who's done them but you are one whose opinion is valued.

Maybe they're trying to appeal to a younger audience,

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:38 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Clint Ruin wrote:
Dark times for the magazine indeed, if you ask me. It might seem like a small thing to some, but to me it isn't.

Explain.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:05 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Editing for space reasons is par for the course, likewise being asked to change inaccuracies or remove comments or asides that might be considered potentially libellous (though I doubt this last happens very often), but this is needless tinkering which itself bafflingly alters an accuracy to an inaccuracy. But that's not the half of it.

I know fuck all about the ins and outs of editing I realise, but it seems to me less like any sort of necessary desicion and more like a writer's style being deliberately albeit fairly subtly dumbed down to project some sort of 'bloke in the pub' vibe. As though there was an unofficial in-house writing style which is being steered towards (I'm sure there's an official one, as well, but again, that's to be expected.)

"You know what?" adds nothing to the review except a slightly misguided pseudo-conversational aspect which it does not require, and telling readers to check out an obituary for someone if they've never heard of him is the sort of thing that you'd expect to find in Kerrang!, to be honest, whose readers might actually need to be told. And while I'm sure Chris regularly despairs at people who've never heard of X, Y and Z because they're the MTV generation with ten-second memories at best, it's not the kind of thing he'd ever write, as he has said. Maybe it was intended to be one of those editorial interjections you get in magazine articles sometimes - the usual one is (You're fired - Ed) - and they forgot to include the italics or the brackets or the "Ed". But that's reaching, frankly.

It's hard not to see it as dumbing down, and ignoring a request from the writer as to why isn't cricket, either.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:56 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Ach, I'm over it, as long as the original review is available for comparison, alongside the information that what was attributed to me in print wasn't what I wrote, that's an end to it. I think it's just a bit of over-zealous tinkering, nothing sinister - I mean most of my reviews have a pseudo-conversational tone already, the rewrite just flicks between two different modes of conversation. Odd.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:08 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

JUSTICE FOR CHANTLER!

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:46 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Morf wrote:
FREE THE NEW FOREST ONE!

:mrgreen:

Dear old Mr Green!

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:43 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I do remember noticing that your name next to that review and thinking it seemed a bit different from your usual style, Chris.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Wolf Bender wrote:
I do remember noticing that your name next to that review and thinking it seemed a bit different from your usual style, Chris.

Like going to see Moss and them doing a Chic cover.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:24 am

Chris Chantler wrote:
Ach, I'm over it, as long as the original review is available for komparison, alongside the information that what was attributed to me in print wasn't what I wrote, that's an end to it. I think it's just a bit of over-zealous tinkering, nothing sinister - I mean most of my reviews have a pseudo-konversational tone already, the rewrite just flicks between two different modes of konversation. Odd.

Edited for 80's Kerrang readers.
Like me.

we fall to rise

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:46 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ribbons69 wrote:
Chris Chantler wrote:
Ach, I'm over it, as long as the original review is available for komparison, alongside the information that what was attributed to me in print wasn't what I wrote, that's an end to it. I think it's just a bit of over-zealous tinkering, nothing sinister - I mean most of my reviews have a pseudo-konversational tone already, the rewrite just flicks between two different modes of konversation. Odd.

Edited for 80's Kerrang readers.
Like me.

:D

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:37 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

That was only ever Xavier Russell! Son of Ken, fact fans.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:45 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:04 am
Gimp
Gimp

Quote:
Aye, caused a bit of a political shitstorm all round with Earache and Morbid if I remember right, as did a couple of other edits that got done to the piece, just turning lines where I'd been diplomatic (we all knew it was a shit Morbid album and i didn't pull punches, there's just ways of putting things...) into the wrong side of insulting... I remember Catherine Yates phoning me to apologize for any problems but after that Tucker wouldn't return my call and didn't respond to emails.

It was my swansong piece as well, my last article, and with a guy I got on really well with prior to that

But, odd, cos I know they don't normally edit things (though, obviously I don't know the current regime and if it's a newer habit?) - you got any idea as to why it may have been done? If you were a newbie, or it made a lot more sense to do it, I could understand, but T's normally good at letting the writers have their own voices?!

I remember this too, and I seem to remember being told something about faxed copy being unclear, then OCRed without enough checking done or something. As if it'd be changed to 'Sod' on purpose.

My memory is failing a bit, but I think this anecdote makes you... Steve Tovey?

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:02 pm
Aargh... busted...

Do I know you (out of interest?) PM is fine to reply if anonymity is being sought...

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:14 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

XIII wrote:
Aye, caused a bit of a political shitstorm all round with Earache and Morbid if I remember right, as did a couple of other edits that got done to the piece, just turning lines where I'd been diplomatic (we all knew it was a shit Morbid album and i didn't pull punches, there's just ways of putting things...) into the wrong side of insulting... I remember Catherine Yates phoning me to apologize for any problems but after that Tucker wouldn't return my call and didn't respond to emails.

Nick Terry posted on the old forum that the majority of Terrorizer's contributors were disappointed with the new Morbid Angel and Deicide albums, before they were officially released, complaining they were too slow and or/dull. The review for 'Gateways To Annihilation' sounded _extremely_ compromised to me, diplomatic in the extreme, and i remember thinking at the time that it was probably the nicest review it would have got from any of the writers at that mag and i guess i was right ;)

I liked G.T.A, but it was really nothing special.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:26 pm
The thing was, there was a long established policy, and I imagine it's one that's still in place - the interviews would be positive in tone pretty much regardless of the product (with the exception of when I interviewed Blaze when he was in Maiden, being antagonistic to band members usually means either a shit and very short interview,no interview at all or no more in the future...) but it would be the reviews that were honest. The length of the interview would be determined by the size of the band and/or the quality of the product they were releasing.

I can understand the fallout of pissing off a label that provides material and bands for the magazine, but the naivity in me says there shouldn't be anything personal in it, and that a band like Morbid are going to get their 'air time' in terms of 3 pages to put across their point of view (if it'd had been a shit hot album it'd have got 4 and the cover story), so as long as that's the case, the review should be honest, and if it's a 5 or 6, give it a 5 or a 6, not a diplomatic 7; there shouldn't be a breakdown between the mag and a label.

(I didn't do the review BTW lol)

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:32 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

It's funny they add in the conversational aspect in your reviews but they remove them from mine. lol. I read something you wrote in that issue (or the last) which hasn't been mentioned and i thought it was one of the best reviews in the issue.

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Gimp
Gimp

Quote:
Aargh... busted...

Do I know you (out of interest?) PM is fine to reply if anonymity is being sought...

Haha, er, sorry, didn't think. James "Harry" Hinchliffe, we crossed over at Terrorizer for a bit in the early 2000s but I don't think we ever met. I remember talking to Catherine "not to be called Cat" Yates about "a sod amongst men", and she was either a brilliant actress or it was an honest and rather shameful fuck-up that everybody was pretty bashful about! Can't believe the label would fly off the handle about it, I mean it's just so obviously a big balls-up. Do you remember if you did fax the copy in? (I may be confusing the fax/OCR thing with another story... I spent most of 2000-2003 drunk, Alice Cooper-style.)

The Russian spam above by the way is advertising holidays in the Crimea. So, at long last, a big fuck you to everyone who said that doing GCSE Russian was pointless.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:10 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

H-BOMB wrote:
Can't believe the label would fly off the handle about it, I mean it's just so obviously a big balls-up.

And furthermore might I say for everyone not directly involved, an obviously brilliantly hilarious one. Proto-'Beloved Cunt'! The typo itself is a belly laugh, but then when you hear the label got all arsey it becomes epically amusing. All these disgruntled Americans saying "How dare you call the singer in Morbid Angel a 'sod', he's not a sod at all."

Very gracious of you to say so Lugz, can't think what review that would have been though!

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next