www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Watain/Shining Feature in #207
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Watain/Shining Feature in #207 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Watain/Shining Feature in #207
Richie H-R wrote:
Wolf Bender wrote:
Lord. What are you, 15? MC5 were badass and dangerous. Sticking your arm in the air just to try to cause offence is stupid, biligerant and childish. Anyway, as has been discussed before, it wouldn't matter if Watain's music sounded half as dangerous and scary as they claim it does.

Absolutely this. Lawless Darkness is a decent album for what it is, and I do like their image in a silly Metal way, but it's very anthemic and nice sounding, and musically has no sense of threat at all. Gnaw Their Tongues make Watain sound like Blink 182, even though everyone knows that it's just a Belgian guy in his bedroom with no mystery or pretence.

I can't think of any black metal bands who sound disturbing.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:22 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Iron Maiden are better than Watain.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Shit Eagle wrote:
I can't think of any black metal bands who sound disturbing.

"Disturbing" is such a personal and subjective thing, and really hard to pin down. What does it take for music to be "disturbing", anyway - it's unlikely to shake your views on morality or how the world works. I definitely felt genuinely creeped out the first time I heard Freezing Moon, and some of Gnaw Their Tongues' stuff (which is broadly Black Metal, I think) makes me genuinely uncomfortable.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:26 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Oh right, I've never classed Gnaw Their Tongues as BM. I love it though, it always makes me feel disassociated, chilled, depressed, etc. I don't really get that with your average BM band. If I find it difficult to listen to, it's because it's crap and giving me a bloody headache. You're right though, it's subjective. I could be singing along, pumping fists and trying not to break in to 2 step at a BM gig while others look angry and constipated.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:54 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Watain may act like silly beggars, and they certainly aren't the truer than thou saviours of black metal they seem to think they are, but clearly they piss all over Blink 182 (who aren't even a passable pop band, despite the fact that their drummer is far better than he has any right to be) Possibly literally. They are a very good, if not entirely original mash up of Mayhem and Dissection.

They do come across as total numptys in that interview, but not as much as yer man from Shining, who has always seemed like a complete pillock.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:44 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

wretched_metal wrote:
Watain... clearly they piss all over Blink 182

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:00 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

wretched_metal wrote:
Watain may act like silly beggars, and they certainly aren't the truer than thou saviours of black metal they seem to think they are, but clearly they piss all over Blink 182 (who aren't even a passable pop band, despite the fact that their drummer is far better than he has any right to be) Possibly literally. They are a very good, if not entirely original mash up of Mayhem and Dissection.

They do come across as total numptys in that interview, but not as much as yer man from Shining, who has always seemed like a complete pillock.

Get fucked. Blink were fantastic.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:00 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Shit Eagle wrote:
Oh right, I've never classed Gnaw Their Tongues as BM. I love it though, it always makes me feel disassociated, chilled, depressed, etc. I don't really get that with your average BM band. If I find it difficult to listen to, it's because it's crap and giving me a bloody headache. You're right though, it's subjective. I could be singing along, pumping fists and trying not to break in to 2 step at a BM gig while others look angry and constipated.

I wouldn't really call GTT a BM band either, to be honest, but there are enough elements in there for me to use them as an example here.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't really call any music "disturbing", really. Learning about the Rape of Nanking, or watching an undercover documentary about child-prostitution, or hearing an 11 year old kid tell you that they don't need to learn about other cultures because the Pakis should all go home are disturbing. The best/worst you can hope for from music is a bit of discomfort and maybe some mild claustrophobia. Don't get me wrong, I love spooky/harrowing music, but I've never felt my morality or view of human nature challenged by it.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:48 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Angry Mob Justice wrote:

'Blink' were an appalling pile of shit, and if you hadn't had the misfortune of being a little boy in the late 90s you'd know that. As it is, you were exposed to some of the worst music ever made in your childhood and inevitably view it fondly in retrospect. It's not your fault, poor thing.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:38 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

So who in London is going to see Watain and Shining tomorrow and who is going to X Factor Live, unfortunately Blink 182 are not in town!

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:50 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

People who like Blink 182 don't deserve to live.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Angry Mob Justice wrote:
wretched_metal wrote:

They were like some marketing mans wet dream of a band, take a bit of inoffensive boy band fluff, a bit of pop - punk cheekiness, without the skill, commitment or songs to pull off either style. I have more respect for The Backstreet Boys than Blink 182. The drummer is undoubtedly skilled, despite being the most punchable cunt on the planet, but their music, and especially that vocal style makes me want to tear my own ears off.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:56 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Good pop-punk: stuff of the Huskers/Sugar/Therapy?/Leatherface type. Bad pop-punk: virtually everything else, except I'd argue that Weezer are even worse than Blink 182. The musical equivalent of crab lice.

I read the interview in full. What an absolutely whacking great pair of dillweeds. I know roughly where they're coming from - pissing off conservatives is fish in a barrel; it's much more fun to piss off woolly liberals. I understand this stance, and I approve of it at least in principle. But for god's sake, do it with a bit of fun and humour, a la Revolting Cocks or Agoraphobic Nosebleed to pick two examples, don't piss on everyone's chips by bringing this solemn self-serious sense of mission to something that should be rowdily fun.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:01 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Shit is shit.You can't polish a turd.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I was the proper age to be a Blink fan when they were at their peak. I still thought they were shit.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Fhil wrote:
I was the proper age to be a Blink fan when they were at their peak. I still thought they were shit.

Yeah but you don't like fun either. Same goes for Chantler and Wretched.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Morf wrote:
You took photos of yourself in the woods with arse-length hair at that age, Fhil.

Nah, that was after the Blink craze among my schoolmates.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Heck no.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

:?:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I had a bevvie with that DeLonge guy from Blink 182. He was staying at the same hotel as we were and someone in his band thought we were the Arctic Monkeys. He's a multi-millionaire, and yet here was I buying the rums at ten pounds a pop. That's back when I could claim expenses. He wasn't much chat, a bit of a miserable fellow. As was I the next day; I lost the receipts.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next