www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Watain/Shining Feature in #207
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Watain/Shining Feature in #207 
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Post Watain/Shining Feature in #207
Maybe I'm getting old, but this feature reads more like something that would appear in Kerrang or MH or even a tabloid newspaper.

I like both band's music but the interview reads like it was conducted with two 15 year old goth/emo's. "Cutting yourself is cool", "blood is cool" etc.

Terrorizer was always a magazine that cut through the bullshit and got behind the crap that so many other mags focussed on as a quote/unquote controversial feature to sell more copies. I've no doubt that Erik and Niklas are sincere in thier beliefs, but such a feature does nothing to help them, in my opinion. It may gain them a few more 14 year old 'nihilists' who hate their parents, but any serious fans will feel like...

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:21 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Watain/Shining Feature in #207
I doubt that you are alone in your viewpoint though.

Very doubt it.

But then our age group hasn't got disposible income so what do we know?

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:39 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I've just read the Watain and Shining article and I think it's the best interview I've read in any music mag for years. Recently black metal has gotten soft and has become socially acceptable. Black metal is supposed to be something that is frightening and offensive to the norm. These guys (Watain and Shining) are no joke. They are the real deal.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

^You really think that Termoid? I thought they both just came across as stupid. I know they'd say I was shocked by their outrageous viewpoints or whatever, but I'm not really, I just thought they sounded silly. "I want to convince kids that cutting themselves is cool." Dimwit. And look at Erik's response to the question about doing the Nazi salute:

"We mistook the metal world for being one where the morals and rules of Western society were not only distant, but frowned on [...] a Nazi salute was a way to piss off the moral-loving cunts and conformist sheep we see as our enemy [...] you are nothing but the tame, law-abiding sheep as the common prostitutes that gave birth to you. Do you hear that, cunts? I proudly piss on your self-righteous hypocrisy."

Lord. What are you, 15? MC5 were badass and dangerous. Sticking your arm in the air just to try to cause offence is stupid, biligerant and childish. Anyway, as has been discussed before, it wouldn't matter if Watain's music sounded half as dangerous and scary as they claim it does.
This has nothing to do with editorial control either, it's daft to blame the maagzine, as if they were putting words into the interviewees' mouths. But yeah, what a pair of divs.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:09 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Haven't read it yet. Will do when I get home, there isn't much in this issue I'm interested in though.

Sylosis? Pssshhh
Devildriver? Pffft
Watain? Yeah, alright, what am I? 18?
Shining? Actually don't mind him.
Cauldron? Fuck off already.

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yet I bet Watain abide by the law as well. They're from Sweden or wherever after all, a place where there's very little crime, poverty or anything worth getting upset about.

They quite literally are basement dwellers though if earlier interviews are anything to go by. I think they're just pissed off they can't get women being all BM and Spooky.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:17 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Lugzan wrote:
Haven't read it yet. Will do when I get home, there isn't much in this issue I'm interested in though.

Sylosis? Pssshhh
Devildriver? Pffft
Watain? Yeah, alright, what am I? 18?
Shining? Actually don't mind him.
Cauldron? Fuck off already.

The Devildriver feature is quite funny I thought because it seems to start by saying, "Why do people constantly act as if Dez Fafafafafafafafa needs to prove himself?", and then the rest of the article is devoted to, er, convincing us that he is, like, well into metal and stuff. He even shares his "five favourite brutal cuts" with us. It also starts "Love him or hate him, you'd be a fool not to respect him." No you wouldn't.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:38 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I think Watain just bum about and get pissed all the time and smoke a lot fags and sniff coke/speed when they can get it. But in Sweden that's pure devilry.

MALIBUMAN wrote:

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Wolf Bender wrote:
It also starts "Love him or hate him, you'd be a fool not to respect him." No you wouldn't.

Yeah that's as far as I got with that one. Nearly threw the mag in the bin at that point. You'd be a fool not to respect Dez Fafafafala?! Fuck the piss off, he is clearly an anus and the music he makes has always been clodhopping bandwagon shite. Respect him?! There are few metal industry hangers-on you should respect less than Des Felafefara. Fucking outrageous statement.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:10 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I like Devildriver, I also respect Dez for what he has achieved as a musician.I know groove metal isn't everyone's cup of tea on here but you have to respect Devildriver for what they are.
Back to Watain and Shining - people found the article offensive (in some shape or form) and the article has caused anger and a reaction.As far as Watain and Shining are concerned it's 'job done'.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Termoid wrote:
I've just read the Watain and Shining article and I think it's the best interview I've read in any music mag for years. Recently black metal has gotten soft and has become socially acceptable. Black metal is supposed to be something that is frightening and offensive to the norm. These guys (Watain and Shining) are no joke. They are the real deal.

I haven't read the article but I am terrified even thinking about it.

To be truly frightening to anyone emotionally adult you would actually have to be insane or criminal, I suppose you could go around endorsing terrorism, racism, rape. muder and so on, but you won't last long. The whole "Metal as transgressive" thing is as dead as the the contemporary live album is to Chantler.

Kvarforth or however you spell it is a pitiful twat, yes, lots of people have mental illness, to some degree he has turned a disability into a strength, but frankly I wish he'd either do himself in or just shut up and act like an adult.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:24 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Watain scare me! They cut themselves, they are HARDCORE. Like all those fat goth girls in high school were...

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I did like that pic of kvarfoth bleeding over a bath though, grainy and grey. Anyway last barbarian wrath they did with him a few issues ago, he was all loved up innit.

MALIBUMAN wrote:

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Termoid wrote:
I like Devildriver, I also respect Dez for what he has achieved as a musician.I know groove metal isn't everyone's cup of tea on here but you have to respect Devildriver for what they are.

I have to say I find Devildriver one of the most frustrating and 'nearly' bands I think I've ever heard. Every track is nearly good, but there's something about it that doesn't quite kick in... they don't really do dynamics, I guess, but there's maelstrom drumming, racing riffage, I think his vocals really suit aggressive metal, but it never quite works.

That said, I do like Hold Back The Day as a track, but I find them frustrating cos they always seem to be one album or one slight change away from being awesome, but manage to stay on the not-quite side of the tracks for me...

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:06 am
Gimp
Gimp

I don't know a lot of Devildriver. I did watch some footage of them at download and it was the funniest thing. 'Let's go down town and meet the wretched.' So funny I shat. Coal Chamber were better.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:08 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Termoid wrote:

I don't think you do. I don't hate him because he's a bandwagon-jumper or cos he's a poseur or whatever - as the article mentions, we all forgave Phil Anselmo (and, er, Slayer) for that. I don't care about namecalling like that. I just don't like Devildriver because I find their music pretty dull. Different people like different things, some people like him, some people don't - and he's hardly at the stage of someone like, I don't know, Madonna, where even if you can't stand her you should say fair play for getting to where she is. Dez isn't that famous or influential that you should give him "respect" whether or not you like his band, and he never will be.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

In the great pantheon of heavy metal people who deserve our respect, Des FaFaetc ranks about infinity million places below The Great Kat, and another few infinities beneath the Page 3 girl on the sleeve of Witchfinder General's 'Death Penalty' LP.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:08 am
Gimp
Gimp

at least wayne static has stuck to his roots. literally.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:15 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Filthy_Wade wrote:
'Let's go down town and meet the wretched.'

I'd walk on and pretend I didn't see him.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:35 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Termoid wrote:
Back to Watain and Shining - people found the article offensive (in some shape or form) and the article has caused anger and a reaction.As far as Watain and Shining are concerned it's 'job done'.

"Groove Metal". Yeah originally they were pretending to be a Black Metal band because he namedropped a couple of albums Phil Anselmo had given him on CD-R's. They just go wherever they percieve the money to be. But hey Rob Flynn's been doing that for a good long while.

In any case. They're shite live. I saw them last year headlining over Behemoth and Suicide Silence of all people and in the first song in the first 12 seconds they fucked up their timing and his vocals were shit, clearly over produced on record and just in general the whole experience was terrible so we left about 3 songs in and went for a beer. The knuckle-dragging apes with Cowboys From Hell tattoos seemed to enjoy it but then I suspect they'd enjoy anything that has people "throwing the horns" like a massive gay pantomime twat.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next