www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - 211
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: 211
The Wretch wrote:
HEAVY METAL Lars. No wonder you can't play it anymore, you can't even say it. Cunt.

I laughed.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:25 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Jesus Christ. I read that Joey interview earlier, it's the most vacuous angsty piece of shite I've ever read, not even Metal Hammer has ever printed something that empty. So fucking what mate. I find it hard to believe you're that miserable when you play in one of the biggest metal bands in the world at this current time, hates everyone but music and his family. What a crock, you're 36 stop pretending you're a young Varg/Satyr and go out and have fun. Prick.

I'm actually quite a big fan of Slipknot too but this just made me rage.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I just got my copy in the mail and..oh dear.

Not to be dramatic or anything but if this is the trajectory Tez is on I won't be renewing my sub.

1. Review system is horrific - the word count and rating system leave no room for nuance...the amount of 4/5 reviews is very suspicious...

2. The layout is designed to maximise visuals instead of content. I understand why but it does make me look at each page and think there's nothing worth reading...

3. Dominion - ok I get why Tez does this but surely there's a market for Goth stuff on its own...all it does is ruin a perfectly good metal mag

4. On the positive side, Hard of Hearing and the live reviews are excellent as always. In fact the one thing Decibel mag lacks that Tez does have is a decent live review section .....

I'm not going to pick on the team for their choice of content - I understand that the Slipknots of the world are needed for simple viability in the current magazine market. I do suspect though that once e-book technology gets more affordable/available paper mags will give way to digital editions downloaded straight onto i-pad/kindle etc...

Anyway speaking as someone who started reading Tez at issue 90 something - and then hunted down pretty much all the issues before then off ebay - I'm starting to lose the faith a little.....

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:19 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Layout is more Rock Sound than MH.

Basically, there need to be less reviews, so they can be longer. As Mark said, there is no space to say anything worth saying. I'm sure the Malibus of the world are rejoicing in the loss of the "shifting tectonic plates" stuff, but I don't see that a tiny wordblurt not that far removed from a press release (in fact, possibly shorter than the average press release) is any sort of improvement.

Interviews appear to be shorter as well.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:31 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Clint Ruin wrote:
Layout is more Rock Sound than MH.

Basically, there need to be less reviews, so they can be longer. As Mark said, there is no space to say anything worth saying. I'm sure the Malibus of the world are rejoicing in the loss of the "shifting tectonic plates" stuff, but I don't see that a tiny wordblurt not that far removed from a press release (in fact, possibly shorter than the average press release) is any sort of improvement.

Interviews appear to be shorter as well.

Except that Rock Sound kind of bridged the gap between MH and Terrorizer as far as content was concerned, journalism was always pretty okay there.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:47 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Are the Devin Townsend & Jesu articles any use? About all that interest me, from the sound of it.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:59 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Are the Devin Townsend & Jesu articles any use? About all that interest me, from the sound of it.

Jesu article is brief. Justin's going to be a father. Devin Townsend talks about sobriety. Good bedtime reading if you're an insomniac.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:03 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Still no free cheese cake.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Why don't we all stop pissing about and just admit that Terrorizer is shit.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Termoid wrote:
Why don't we all stop pissing about and just admit that Terrorizer is shit.

It's not though. Granted, the reviews are shorter (and the 5 bar rating isn't great) but to me it's still the same mag.

I do wish Dominion would disappear - that way the reviews section could go back to the way it used to be.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:53 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The Dominion thing is a complete waste of paper.It's not my thing but by the sounds of it it's no one elses either.A better idea would be to run some kind of monthly comic strip or just print pictures of large breasted females.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I prefer reviews out of 5, simpler, less fannying around with half marks etc, the problem for me is the word count. There's enough space for a witty opener and a soundbite and the review is done...

I know some of you will scoff, but these days I do think, particularly with Subterranea and the fact that they both cover pretty much exactly the same bands all in Metal Hammer does it better at the moment, but you do have to put up with several pages of Tom-core shit each month...

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:11 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

well, luckily there is still zero tolerance for some decent reviews and interviews.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I haven't bought a Heavy Metal magazine for two years (apart from an issue of Terrorizer once for a train journey, of which I read less than half and enjoyed less than that), and I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out, or am less informed about forthcoming releases than when I read at least one a month.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:16 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

The only reason I bought Tez in the first place was because of the quality of the mag in regards to its writing and direction.

I wish the powers that be actually understand this fact (and that it's probably the same for most of the 'haterz') and then compare how things are now compared to then.

Guys, sorry, but it doesn't even compare. This isn't trolling, this is an intervention!

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:35 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I'm with Gene, the layout is annoying and the increase various "core" genres covered is bad, but the worst problem is the poor quality and low quantity of writing and all the teen-orientated sidebars and schtick. My subs ran out last autumn and I had decided not to renew long before it expired.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:52 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Terrorizer can only report on what is happening.Is the magazine the problem or is the scene the problem?

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

It can choose what it reports on though, so the choice is that of the magazine (or the labels who pay for the articles to be put in them from what I gather)

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

On a whole Terrorizer isn't really that bad, it just needs to stop printing shit like Sarcastic Existance and Dominion.More pages dedicated to graphic novels and films would be nice.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Termoid wrote:
Terrorizer can only report on what is happening.Is the magazine the problem or is the scene the problem?

A well-written magazine can be engaging even if there's nothing to be report on. I know either myself or Gene always mention this whenever the topic turns to magazines, but Amiga Power in its last couple of years was brilliant, despite having absolutely nothing to write about. There were about five developers still making games for the Amiga, and three of them had stopped sending them copies because they'd pissed them off, so whole issues would go by with about ten pages worth of actual content - they filled the rest with features about the JFK assassination, stories they'd written and anything they thought was cool, and it was so good that I kept reading long after I'd put my Amiga in a box in the hope that girls would have sex with me.

I'm not saying Terrorizer should do that, or that they'd be allowed to get away with it (I think Amiga Power were given a ludicrous amount of freedom), but it shows that a magazine is not just a slave to the scene it reports, and that quality writing and imaginative solutions can make for something worth reading even if there's a shortage of things to report on.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next