www.Terrorizer.com
http://forum.terrorizer.com/

211
http://forum.terrorizer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2562
Page 5 of 7

Author:  thrash gordon [ Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

Richie H-R wrote:
Termoid wrote:
Terrorizer can only report on what is happening.Is the magazine the problem or is the scene the problem?


A well-written magazine can be engaging even if there's nothing to be report on. I know either myself or Gene always mention this whenever the topic turns to magazines, but Amiga Power in its last couple of years was brilliant, despite having absolutely nothing to write about. There were about five developers still making games for the Amiga, and three of them had stopped sending them copies because they'd pissed them off, so whole issues would go by with about ten pages worth of actual content - they filled the rest with features about the JFK assassination, stories they'd written and anything they thought was cool, and it was so good that I kept reading long after I'd put my Amiga in a box in the hope that girls would have sex with me.

I'm not saying Terrorizer should do that, or that they'd be allowed to get away with it (I think Amiga Power were given a ludicrous amount of freedom), but it shows that a magazine is not just a slave to the scene it reports, and that quality writing and imaginative solutions can make for something worth reading even if there's a shortage of things to report on.


Just had to shout out as another avid AP reader, I've still got all my copies and was proper gutted when it closed down. I even wrote them a letter saying so and I got a personal reply saying thanks and everything. I take it you saw the AP2 website by Stu Campbell / Jonathan Nash? I don't know if it's still online but it gave a good insight into things that were going on behind the scenes over the years.

Author:  robitusson [ Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

I bought it today. Quite a dramatic change alright.

Author:  bás [ Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

It's a decent magazine and only about €6.50. You get free tunes, get some good recommendations of new bands, learn how to make metal bagels etc. Hard of hearing and the mix tape section are always good. Interviews are so so but not because of the journalist. Musicians can only really talk about their latest release or their drink and drug hell so what can you do.

Author:  robitusson [ Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

That's about my summation. I don't mind it. I guess I never thought it was that stellar in the past. Just seemed right to buy every month. They've ALWAYS been epically wrong about some bands and reviews. Right lots of times too of course. I don't see any difference in that regard between now and back then.

Author:  rethab [ Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Personally, I still think there's a lot to be said for trusting a particular writer's expert opinion too (Glasper, Chantler or James Hoare for example), but I appreciate this is probably not a view many people share any more, due to new ways to discover bands, and just being able to listen to the album yourself before deciding whether or not it's worth buying.


Definitely second your point!

I also noticed a slight drift away from discussions being made about music itself to "if you show me god, i'll believe in it" (amon amarth), "i dont trust anybody" (slipknot), "i ate human flesh" (shining) and the likes.. really annoying.

Making the these reviews shorter but do more of them (not counted though) doesn't really deliver more good content what eventually makes me reading it all. It does, however, certainly appeal more to some.

Disappointed.. pretty much

Author:  Lugzan [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

I've yet to see this month's issue. I might pick up a copy tomorrow, I've got a few bits and pieces in there I believe.

Author:  Painkiller [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

rethab wrote:
"if you show me god, i'll believe in it" (amon amarth)


I know I've been playing the RS card on here a little hard the last few days, but why the fuck would anyone want to read what someone from fucking Amon Amarth has to say about epistemology or the nature of the Universe? We've got philosophers to debate the value of empirical evidence in determining the objective nature of reality, cheers mate, go and record the same song about Thor fucking twelve more times.

Author:  Ed Blackadder [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

To be fair RHR, you could say something very like that about most things most bands say in most interviews.

Author:  Painkiller [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

True, I suppose. I don't mind if they're someone interesting or give the impression that they've read something or had an original thought even once in their lives, but Amon Amarth... I suppose the question is what do you actually ask a band like that about that will lead to something more interesting than "first we recorded the guitar tracks, and then we had some beers... and then we recorded the drum tracks...".

Author:  Tomomi Itano [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

Richie H-R wrote:
rethab wrote:
"if you show me god, i'll believe in it" (amon amarth)


I know I've been playing the RS card on here a little hard the last few days, but why the fuck would anyone want to read what someone from fucking Amon Amarth has to say about epistemology or the nature of the Universe? We've got philosophers to debate the value of empirical evidence in determining the objective nature of reality, cheers mate, go and record the same song about Thor fucking twelve more times.


You're right, the RS card has been well and truly worn out. The ones who read it will be fourteen year olds who love AE and AA and think that God doesn't exist because Amon Amarth say so rather than that cunt Dawkins.

Author:  Painkiller [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

Kaylee & Rosie wrote:
You're right, the RS card has been well and truly worn out.


Yeah, only talking about one thing is awful, sorry.

Seen any good porn/hated traditional Heavy Metal recently?

Author:  Tomomi Itano [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

Touche. it seems that a number of threads I looked at today are filled with your RS rants, that's all.

Author:  Painkiller [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

They started it.

Author:  bás [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

If I hadn't bought this months terrorizer I never would have known that black metal lives in Joey Jordison's heart.

Author:  Stevil [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

You'd think! Unless clicks are used, which they shouldn't!

Author:  Painkiller [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

You know them, Was - always innovating and rebelling against convention.

Author:  Stevil [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

I don't think clicks shoudl never be used, but nowadays I think a lot of bands click track an entire song before recording anything.

It's useful for doing any interludes where there's no drums, but when there are drums, it loses a natural flow IMO....

Author:  Stevil [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

Oh there's no doubt if you put a click over some drums that were recorded without a click, that the tempo would be all over the show, but I think that liveliness gives a more organic feeling. Unless of course you can notice it drastically. Especially with blasts this applies but as you say, to each their own!

Author:  Solaris [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

Do 'big' bands ever use click tracks when playing live? I can't see why but I can imagine someone like Fear Factory doing it. Maybe if they're recording the show?

Author:  Solaris [ Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 211

I thought if they were recording it with a view to releasing it at some point, they might want it to sound as slick as possible. I'd imagine it might reduce the inevitable overdub workload if it was in time throughout. The reason I mentioned Fear Factory was for the same reasons you gave for Rush doing it.

Personally I agree with you, just go for it, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Page 5 of 7 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/