www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Mag 212
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Mag 212 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Mag 212
Crap beer again.
Mr Warrior looks funny.
Allot of moody faces, don't people smile any more?
No Bass tab.
Decapitated in a shower?
Nice Python.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Post Re: Mag 212
Is that David Vincent's waxwork doppelganger in the Bloodstock preview?

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Maybe thats who played on the new album.

Toxic Holocaust, Wino and a Slayer poster. That's about all I enjoyed really. All respect to Mr Warrior, but the interview is a bit "the black!". I'd rather they stuck him in Sick Sounds and talked about his riffs or something. Still no Fast Eddie Clarke interview or Motorhead special. Surely with losing Wurzel they could do something on the bands guitarists at least.

Also, speaking of Sick Sounds, how fucking hideous is Amotts Dean V?

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:47 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I felt the new Twisted Tower Dire was rated too low.

I felt Loss' Despond was rated too high. It's not a bad album... if your in the mood. But generally, it doesn't half drag at times. And I feel the production let it down compared to some of the demo tracks I've heard. I think a 3 would be a more accurate reflection. As I think a good album should be constantly good, not just when your in the mood.

I also don't think there was a single bands interview that struck me as something I'd want to read out of being a fan.
But I guess there's one or two that seem interesting who I've yet to listen to.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Annihislater wrote:

That review is a miniature fucking scandal. Firstly, suggesting that because Tony Taylor died in a motorbike accident he was somehow "dying for metal"... Extraordinarily crass childish patronising bullshit. Then "in a world where... bands like Enforcer exist, are these 'second gen' bands still necessary". What the fuck is a "second gen" band, and why would they no longer be necessary? Because "aping Priest" is fashionable at the moment and there are so many little kids doing it now with more commercial success? Also which other 'second gen' bands are no longer necessary, then? And what other "bands like Enforcer" are so amazing they render anyone who was doing this sort of music in the 90s "unnecessary"? I assume this "Dee Traven" doesn't really exist and is a nom de plume for someone who doesn't want to put their real name under such a crock of shit.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:42 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chris Chantler wrote:
TWhat the fuck is a "second gen" band, and why would they no longer be necessary? Because "aping Priest" is fashionable at the moment and there are so many little kids doing it now with more commercial success? Also which other 'second gen' bands are no longer necessary, then? And what other "bands like Enforcer" are so amazing they render anyone who was doing this sort of music in the 90s "unnecessary"?

Good questions. I'd too like to know what qualifies as a 'second generation band' and why the bands that were so crucial in returning this style back to its rightful place and no longer 'relevant' anymore.

what a load of shit.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:46 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Chris Chantler wrote:

Firstly, suggesting that because Tony Taylor died in a motorbike accident he was somehow "dying for metal"... Extraordinarily crass childish patronising bullshit. Then "in a world where... bands like Enforcer exist, are these 'second gen' bands still necessary".

What the fuck is a "second gen" band, and why would they no longer be necessary? Because "aping Priest" is fashionable at the moment and there are so many little kids doing it now with more commercial success?

Also which other 'second gen' bands are no longer necessary, then?

And what other "bands like Enforcer" are so amazing they render anyone who was doing this sort of music in the 90s "unnecessary"?

Good opening point. And good goddam questions. Surely Enforcer are a "second gen" band themselves anyway. At least! Baffling review, baffling score. Silliness.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:01 pm
Gimp
Gimp

Can I weigh in here because I actually listened to the TTD again after subbing the reviews and I actually agree with the comments made in Terrorizer. They were a band that everyone rated 4 or 5 years ago, probably because Rich Walker was so up their ass, but with really hardcore retrospection I had to agree that the truth about the second mouse getting the cheese (in this case the third) is probably true. That album is half-assed and no way as exciting as some of the great heavy metal (used in its real sense) coming out right now a la Enforcer, Ram, Volture et al

Glad we're getting some controversy out of it though - get peeps talking

But then again I don't get Asomvel either

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:30 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chris Chantler wrote:
Annihislater wrote:

That review is a miniature fucking scandal. Firstly, suggesting that because Tony Taylor died in a motorbike accident he was somehow "dying for metal"... Extraordinarily crass childish patronising bullshit. Then "in a world where... bands like Enforcer exist, are these 'second gen' bands still necessary". What the fuck is a "second gen" band, and why would they no longer be necessary? Because "aping Priest" is fashionable at the moment and there are so many little kids doing it now with more commercial success? Also which other 'second gen' bands are no longer necessary, then? And what other "bands like Enforcer" are so amazing they render anyone who was doing this sort of music in the 90s "unnecessary"? I assume this "Dee Traven" doesn't really exist and is a nom de plume for someone who doesn't want to put their real name under such a crock of shit.

Very well said.
As much as a shame Tony's death was, firstly I'm pretty certain he didn't decide to have a motorcycle accident in the name of metal, and if he could have avoided it I'm again pretty sure he would. Secondly, and no disrespect meant, but Tony isn't on this album, (Other than a dedication and the inclusion of Beyond the Gate which was a bonus track on some versions of Isle of the Hydra and Crest of the Matyrs) so why bring it up, especially when you have such a limited word count.

The Suggestion that the album isn't relevant because there are older bands still going (Maiden/Manowar, and newer bands (Enforcer) springing up is ridiculous.
And I'll tell you one thing, looking at the three bands mentioned's latest albums, I'd take Make it Dark over The Final Frontier, Thunder in the Sky and Diamonds (I've not heard the split's they have apparently done). Maiden for me are going downhill, Manowar are too far up their arses with interludes, alternate languages, most perfect sound quality and Enforcer sound like they are trying to be a typical nwobhm styled band, whereas Twisted Tower Dire seem to be releasing consistently good albums, that sound like Twisted Tower Dire, not like some 80's throwback, and not some past their best band either.
The only shade that Enforcer put TTD in is that of amount of money spent on promotion. And I for one don't see that to be of any consequence to the music on the album.

I'm yet to hear a bad word about Make it Dark, other than it's not the best album the band have done, which lets be under no illusion it isn't, but for a band to put out Crest of the Matyrs, topping that is always going to be a massivee challenge. But Just cause it isn't their best, doesn't make it bad, it just means their standards are high.

Also it seems silly to review an album without actually mentioning the music on it. (at least beyond they play similar music to xy&Z bands)

And @ Louise; Other than you being wrong for the most part :P I agree about Asomvel being nothing special. Though they seemingly split up the other night, so you wont have to worry about them any more

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Gimp
Gimp

I was really excited about that new TTD album, and was disappointed - but then again everything pales in insignificance to In Solitude. And yes, I know I'm the brunt of a ton of jokes about my obsession with young Swedes, I can't help it, at least I'm consistent

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:21 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Louise wrote:
Can I weigh in here because I actually listened to the TTD again after subbing the reviews and I actually agree with the comments made in Terrorizer.

You agree that Tony Taylor "died for heavy metal"? You agree that 'second gen' bands are unnecessary as Maiden and Manowar are still touring (as they were 15 years ago when TTD started) and because there are so many younger bands ripping off Priest nowadays?

So does 'second gen' include any traditional metal band who started in the mid-late 90s? Cos THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG, DOOMSWORD, WOLF, OCTOBER 31, CAULDRON BORN, IRONSWORD, METALUCIFER and plenty more piss all over these nu-trad retro tweenies from a great height. I tend to think they deserve a lot more respect for doing it at a time when it was a pariah style - by contrast these nowadays bandwagon-jumpers have a much easier ride.

Fair enough that doesn't excuse any of the 'second gen' bands releasing a shoddy album - but they haven't, and besides there's no actual assessment of the album (not enough space for that), just a fatuous comment questioning the need for 'second gen' bands at all. Ach, this is a new name at the mag and I don't want to go slapping toddlers. Not in public anyway.

Quote:
They were a band that everyone rated 4 or 5 years ago, probably because Rich Walker was so up their ass, but with really hardcore retrospection I had to agree that the truth about the second mouse getting the cheese (in this case the third) is probably true.

Yeah cos Rich Walker was really setting the pace of fashion 4-5 years ago! I certainly don't remember 'Netherworlds' suddenly getting them massive amounts of coverage anywhere, it seemed to come and go without much comment, let alone the sort of hype dished out to similar-sounding bands with more pro-active PR departments. If TTD had a heyday of word-of-mouth success it was in 2001-03, when they had a far busier release schedule, were touring more and playing festivals like Wacken.

Quote:
That album is half-assed and no way as exciting as some of the great heavy metal (used in its real sense) coming out right now a la Enforcer, Ram, Volture

RAM rule of course, as do IN SOLITUDE and PORTRAIT, but ENFORCER are pushing their luck, and as Annihislater says, there's something much more convoluted and contrived about the way these nu-trad bands are in thrall to a very specific, reductive view of early 80s HM. Of course trad metal in the 90s was consciously revivalist, but they'd all come at it from different angles, with their own personalities and priorities, they weren't just slavishly copying a very narrow style of 80s metal, artwork, dress sense etc.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:33 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

This is why you should be doing more than one review every 6 months, Chris...

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Very gracious mgh, but the word counts are against me these days! Same reason I've not taken to Twitter, I can't piddle about with 120 characters, I'm a discursive little bleeder. I did a massive Shining review in Metal Hammer recently which mentioned Reginald Perrin, but I do bemoan the passing of the days when Greg Whalen could spend half a 600 word SODOM review talking about his schooldays.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:20 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chris Chantler wrote:
So does 'second gen' include any traditional metal band who started in the mid-late 90s? Cos THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG, DOOMSWORD, WOLF, OCTOBER 31, CAULDRON BORN, IRONSWORD, METALUCIFER and plenty more piss all over these nu-trad retro tweenies from a great height. I tend to think they deserve a lot more respect for doing it at a time when it was a pariah style - by contrast these nowadays bandwagon-jumpers have a much easier ride.

these kids think they are rebellious for being into metal but by the time most of them discovered it trad was cool again. not just them, but also all those indie fucks too. I had this indie cunt that owns a store tell me recently to check out some hipster black metal band. i was like, dude, don't fucking insult me, i understand you discovered black metal late(3-4 years ago, no less, at the age of 27), but i didn't and can't stand this poser shit.

and while we are ranting, fuck Lady Gaga too and her so called 'love of metal'. yeah, she gets a free pass by metalheads, but it was easy to be into trad metal when you were born in 1986 and discovered it when it became cool again in the early 00's.

Try listening to Maiden in the 90's, when people laughed at you.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:13 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

In this thread Chris makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:12 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Hard to remember a time when wearing an IRON MAIDEN T-shirt to a college of further education in Britain was an act of defiance. Circa 1992-96 Dio patches would've meant people pointing and laughing, unless they assumed you were wearing them ironically. As a result, 90s trad metal was more passionate and eccentric than the glossy-shoot production line they've got now. State of affairs is that members of Municipal Waste have a trad metal side-project, irony being if Municipal Waste just mixed that sort of material in with their dayglo slamcore they might make a vaguely original-sounding album for once.

Quote:

Urgh.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:24 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sounds like Merlin wrote it...he bums Maiden soooo hard. I'm joking Curlpot if you're reading this.

I have no point to make as I find In Solitude boring for the most part as I do Enforcer and most others peddling the retro. Doomsword are alright though.

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chris Chantler wrote:

Quote:

Urgh.

Not in that way Chris. I just appreciate your words old son. :)

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:39 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Morf wrote:
I forgot to add that Enforcer are fucking diabolical.

I would have said mediocre more than diabolical. Their singer is woeful though.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:41 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Enforcer are indeed a bad joke.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next