www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What makes a good review?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 What makes a good review? 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: What makes a good review?
Duckstyle wrote:
Satellite_Radio wrote:

Can't say i've heard a bass sound quite like that on a metal album before.

This. It's what really drew me in. Well, the rhythm section in general. They really had something going until they simplified it. I've never actually heard the "Kill I Oughtta" stuff, but I think they had a different bass player at the time.

different bassist, yeah. It wasn't even just the fact that they simplified it Duck--which they obviously did--the bass just never had the same presence in the mix again. By the time they got to 'Lost and Found' and 'The New Game' it was barely even audible most of the time. and it wasn't like it was just following the guitar most of the time either, but it certainly wasn't functioning as counterpoint like it did on LD 50.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:50 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Terrorizer's reviews have always been shite - album AND live. And after buying the newest issue I see nothing's changed. Just have a look at the reports from the festivals - it's impossible to tell whether most of the bands were any good or even any of the songs they might have played.

I remember that Mithras review posted in the thread earlier, it was one of the reasons I stopped buying the magazine. I assumed they had been paid to write that review by the record company, because it's a fucking rubbish album. I didn't see much point in the reviews section after that.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:59 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Diocletian wrote:
I remember that Mithras review posted in the thread earlier, it was one of the reasons I stopped buying the magazine. I assumed they had been paid to write that review by the record company, because it's a fucking rubbish album. I didn't see much point in the reviews section after that.

It's worse than that, one of the band members was involved with the editor of Tez at that time. Then this one time reviewer appears with the hyperbolic gushing review.

They must have thought us idiots. And we were, I wasn't alone in buying the album based on that review but it was pure abuse of Tez's reputation at the time for decent journalism.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:15 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Diocletian wrote:
Terrorizer's reviews have always been shite - album AND live.

Well that's bollocks. Circa 1996-2000 there was more enlightening, witty, passionate, articulate writing at Tegs than I've seen in any metal mag before or since. Granted it went downhill when I joined.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:45 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Chantler wrote:
Diocletian wrote:

Well that's bollocks. Circa 1996-2000 there was more enlightening, witty, passionate, articulate writing at Tegs than I've seen in any metal mag before or since. Granted it went downhill when I joined.

Okay, possibly I'm remembering it wrong - I'm not sure if I even bought the magazine 1996-2000 so I could be being unfair with my comments. I do always remember thinking the reviews were pointless since they rarely talked about the MUSIC but who knows when I started reading? It's a long time ago :mrgreen:

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:04 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Tomochin wrote:
It's worse than that, one of the band members was involved with the editor of Tez at that time. Then this one time reviewer appears with the hyperbolic gushing review.

They must have thought us idiots. And we were, I wasn't alone in buying the album based on that review but it was pure abuse of Tez's reputation at the time for decent journalism.

One time reviewer? Seriously? I never even knew any of that, I just knew when I bought the album it was garbage, despite the fact I'm a huge Morbid Angel fan. I had some suspicions but not like what you're saying, that's outrageous! :evil:

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:13 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

> > I had some suspicions but not like what you're saying, that's outrageous!

It was. The reviewer did other things in the mag but he'd been brought in by the editor who was indeed stepping out with the member of the band who got the ludicrous "best album by a British band ever" review. With hindsight it almost seems like he was leaned on to give them a good review so went sarcastically over the top with it.

To be fair Mithras were at least better than Limp Biscuit, who were getting 10/10 reviews in rival publications around that time without even needing to exchange body fluids.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:23 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Have you ever been leaned on, Chris (bodily fluids involved, or no) or is the anus of your journalistic integrity unpummelled?

I was lent on a couple of times, but usually to trash things rather than big them up. And I more often than not willingly offered... then ended up liking them and giving them good reviews! (Korn - Follow The Leader, Raging Speedhorn debut, among others)

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:00 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Chantler wrote:

It was. The reviewer did other things in the mag but he'd been brought in by the editor who was indeed stepping out with the member of the band who got the ludicrous "best album by a British band ever" review. With hindsight it almost seems like he was leaned on to give them a good review so went sarcastically over the top with it.

To be fair Mithras were at least better than Limp Biscuit, who were getting 10/10 reviews in rival publications around that time without even needing to exchange body fluids.

Seriously - Chocolate Starfish was a better album, it at least had some good riffs on it.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:41 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Chantler wrote:

'Stuart banks' existed? I only saw his name twice - that infamous review and an earlier one for a Mithras EP (I think)

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:39 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Chantler wrote:
Diocletian wrote:

What was the word-length of the reviews back then?

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:56 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I remember them varying hugely from 12 words to about 500! Can't remember the average downpager length but around 220 seems right. Steev, I've never been 'leaned on' to give a good or a bad review, I can't imagine what the incentive would have to be to go along with that sort of thing - unless it was cold hard cash in used notes, in which case I'd jump at it obviously.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:17 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

It's about 110 words now I think. Not much more than a hundred anyway. Which is just too damn short to say anything with any kind of insight.

The reviews were always the backbone of the mag for me. Features of no interest to me meant little, because you could always go to the reviews and tuck right in. Now, they're just too damn skimpy. :( Seems weird that space would be saved in this section of all places. Surely there are plenty of other things that could be cut down to ensure 140+ word reviews. :?:

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:28 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chantler wrote:

Terrorizer has an unbelievably gushing review of a Limp Biscuit album in about 2000 or 2001. I'll find it, scan it and post it.

I thought she looked like the head of the English department at a high school, though perhaps that says more about the school I went to than her..

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:54 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

robitusson wrote:
It's about 110 words now I think.

120. Every review has a picture of the album cover next to it, and some of the longer reviews have a band photo and a 'sidebar' too.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:04 am
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

robitusson wrote:
It's about 110 words now I think. Not much more than a hundred anyway. Which is just too damn short to say anything with any kind of insight.

The reviews were always the backbone of the mag for me. Features of no interest to me meant little, because you could always go to the reviews and tuck right in. Now, they're just too damn skimpy. :( Seems weird that space would be saved in this section of all places. Surely there are plenty of other things that could be cut down to ensure 140+ word reviews. :?:

I don't think there's any need for the half assed gear reviews to be honest. Or at least cut them down - a full page for a Rob Flynn guitar and a Slipknot amp?

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Diocletian wrote:
robitusson wrote:

I don't think there's any need for the half assed gear reviews to be honest. Or at least cut them down - a full page for a Rob Flynn guitar and a Slipknot amp?

Very much agreed. I thought there was the sick sounds spin off magazine for that sort of stuff

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:03 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

miranda wrote:
Chantler wrote:

Terrorizer has an unbelievably gushing review of a Limp Biscuit album in about 2000 or 2001. I'll find it, scan it and post it.

Really?! I remember a kind review for their debut in '97, probably by Andrew Carter, I can't recall a Tegs review for Significant Other (maybe I blocked it out!), but am sure Selzer gave Chocolate Starfish 3/10.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:00 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Annihislater wrote:
I thought there was the sick sounds spin off magazine for that sort of stuff

It lasted two issues before being collapsed down into Terrorizer itself. A shame, since I'd be far more inclined to read that.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:24 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Shallowthing wrote:
Annihislater wrote:
I thought there was the sick sounds spin off magazine for that sort of stuff

It lasted two issues before being collapsed down into Terrorizer itself. A shame, since I'd be far more inclined to read that.

I don't know how gear magazines survive TBH. I love reading guitar mags, but a fiver or whatever it is a time, to read a review of gear I'll never buy is a waste of cash. And I really don't need tab to be able to play "Back In Black" FFS. :lol:

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next