www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What makes a good review?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 What makes a good review? 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: What makes a good review?
Chinese Whispers wrote:
Tom Of The Wode wrote:
You never know. It could still be done. Not too late.

I was always curious as to what Candiria might have been able to do, but rarely did they incorperate both elements into the same song - their hip hop tracks tended to stick to simply being a hip hop track amongst a bunch of metallic tracks, but at least they weren't completely horrible on the hip hop tracks.

They were fairly substandard when compared with their ability and many of the better tunes i.e; ALL of "300% Density"

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:36 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Clint Ruin wrote:
Nu metal should have been better than it was.

Combining punishing loops of Helmet/Prong style riffing with the darkest and most dangerous '90s gangsta rap (Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, Onyx) is a bloody good idea, the reality of it was another whiny watering-down of both sides of the equation. Godflesh's 'Songs Of Love And Hate' distilled this, and then, crucially, they moved on.

Like with most genres, it became watered down with crap. Primer 55, Dope, Slaves On Dope, Crossbreed, Ill Nino, Hed (PE), Skillet, 36 Crazyfists, Puya, Nonpoint, Spineshank, Flaw, Skindread, Crazytown, Dry Kill Logic, Clawfinger, Skrape, Deadsy, 40 Below Summer, shit tons more- working at a radio station that played 'extreme music', I got promos from all these bands. Some of them were a lot better than others, but it was all so derivative and tedious. It got old reeaaally fast.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:53 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Clawfinger totally had all the best lyrics though.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Do this, do that, come here, you twat!

Genius!

I might have to DL Deafdumbblind again. I never hated it, it was too funny for that. And Rosegrove was a belter of a track

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:29 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Exactly the lyric I had in mind, old boy. And you're right about 'Rosegrove', too.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:23 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I may have to work into general conversation "I've had it up to here with your shit and your piss!"

Absolute genius!

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:22 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

deadthyme wrote:
Like with most genres, it became watered down with crap. Primer 55, Dope, Slaves On Dope, Crossbreed, Ill Nino, Hed (PE), Skillet, 36 Crazyfists, Puya, Nonpoint, Spineshank, Flaw, Skindread, Crazytown, Dry Kill Logic, Clawfinger, Skrape, Deadsy, 40 Below Summer, shit tons more- working at a radio station that played 'extreme music', I got promos from all these bands. Some of them were a lot better than others, but it was all so derivative and tedious. It got old reeaaally fast.

that's a rollcall of shit right there.

I hated nu-metal but I was part of the grumpy generation who could never view it as anything other than the worst thing to happen to metal ever.

I was openminded just enough to accept Deftones, SOAD and Slipknot.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:30 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Well Deftones are quality, they don't deserve to be lumped in with Nu Metal in general, and SOAD are good at what they do, even if I'd like to sew the singers mouth shut.

I liked the first few Korn, although they never really went anywhere interesting after that for me, and the early albums haven't aged that well IMO.

I never got why Slipknot were more highly regarded than other bands of the era. I remember seeing them and Disturbed at Ozzfest, and both were genuinely laughably bad on every level. And its not even a case of them not being to my taste, I'm happy to give credit where its due for a good live performance at least, but both of them horrible in every conceivable way, sound, performance, songs, really terrible. Charmless and without any content whatsoever. One of the guys who went with us was a big Slipknot fan, and he went primarily to see them, and even he was gobsmacked at how terrible they were. Maybe it was an off night, but I really thought it was a bad joke.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:39 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Kaylee and Rosie wrote:
deadthyme wrote:

that's a rollcall of shit right there.

I hated nu-metal but I was part of the grumpy generation who could never view it as anything other than the worst thing to happen to metal ever.

36 Crazyfists were never really a Nu-Metal band they just got lumped with them unfortunately. Ill Nino, Hed (PE) and Spineshank were also the tits. Less of the grumpy guts.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:25 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Kaylee and Rosie wrote:

I wasn't. Complete shite.

I do have a soft spot for Spineshank's Height of Callousness, however.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:44 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Shallowthing wrote:
Clawfinger totally had all the best lyrics though.

The truth- the truth mothafucka
the truth- the truth you sucka!

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

You're the real nigger!

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:55 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Do Rage Against The Machine fall in with that group? 'Cause they were quite good at what they did, Public Enemy-esque rapping with big heavy riffs.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Big fan of CLAWFINGER over here. "Are you Man Enough", "Wrong State of Mind", "Recipe for Hate" and plenty more. Good shit.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:37 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Fhil wrote:
Do Rage Against The Machine fall in with that group? 'Cause they were quite good at what they did, Public Enemy-esque rapping with big heavy riffs.

I'm not sure they were that good, though. I used to really love them, but now I can't help but think they had some good ideas but only got it right on their first album. Tom Morello is a really great guitarist, but a lot of his actual riffs (rather than effects pedal noodling) actually sound pretty similar. Zach was a terrible rapper too.
EDIT: The first album is really bloody good, though.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:10 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
I used to really love them, but now I can't help but think they had some good ideas but only got it right on their first album.

This, completely.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:22 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Fhil wrote:

I'm not sure they were that good, though. I used to really love them, but now I can't help but think they had some good ideas but only got it right on their first album. Tom Morello is a really great guitarist, but a lot of his actual riffs (rather than effects pedal noodling) actually sound pretty similar. Zach was a terrible rapper too.
EDIT: The first album is really bloody good, though.

They slayed Download 2010...it was magical and Zach still had some real spit to his voice.

I used to like a lot of nu-metal, Height Of Callousness was a decent album at what it did. As was Static X's stuff. Slaves On Dope and Dry Kill Logic were good because they didn't pussy out with shit choruses. 5 Point O were also good.

Deftones and Slipknot aren't really nu-metal but unfortunately got lumped in to the era. And both bands are genuinely good bands I think.

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I saw RATM at Leeds festival and they weren't very good. The only time there was any crowd interaction was to say, "can you stop jumping around so much, please? Security have told us you have to be quieter."

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:51 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Fhil wrote:

I'm not sure they were that good, though.

No, and I remember being actively excited in the run-up to the release of the RATM debut cos some lying rag said it sounded like Anthrax and Public Enemy had collaborated on an album. So I eagerly push the tape into the walkman on the bus home from town and there's this funky riffing and a singer who yelps like a little kid. Pfff, I thought.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:58 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

He made an alright hardcore vocalist- it's those typical gruff throat punch straight edge vocals, but it sounded good with the music. I got his old band's 7" back 'in the day' (cheesy, I know) and liked them pretty good- used to love that song "Discrepancy".

I just recently found out he was their vocalist, it kind of surprised me.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next