www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What makes a good review?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 What makes a good review? 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: What makes a good review?
Morello writes great riffs.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Lugzan wrote:
Deftones and Slipknot aren't really nu-metal but unfortunately got lumped in to the era. And both bands are genuinely good bands I think.

disagree, i think Slipknot's debut was definitely nu-metal. just a more extreme version of it.

it was produced by Robinson and sounded almost like a heavier, faster version of Roots at times with some death metal influences.

I think by Vol.3 though they were only connected to the genre loosely.

Deftones were more alt-metal than nu-metal.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:11 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Satellite_Radio wrote:
Lugzan wrote:
Deftones and Slipknot aren't really nu-metal but unfortunately got lumped in to the era. And both bands are genuinely good bands I think.

disagree, i think Slipknot's debut was definitely nu-metal. just a more extreme version of it.

it was produced by Robinson and sounded almost like a heavier, faster version of Roots at times with some death metal influences.

Hmmm, whilst I'm hearing your reasoning - it doesn't sit right. They owed more to the METAL before them than any other of the nu-metal acts. I think it was the period they emerged and the fact they had samples/decks that got Slipknot tarnished with that brush. Self-titled is still a great record. 5 fists from me.
It also never sat right with me calling Mudvayne nu-metal. Lazy boxing for the best part.

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Slipknot were definitely nu-metal, as far as I'm concerned. Heavier than a lot ofthe other notable players, maybe, with a lot of DM influence on their sound but I don't think there's any doubt.

Deftones had more to offer, on the surface at least, on their first album (and the second, maybe). I'd have put them under the same umbrella as Tool - metal, certainly but not defined by the term. That said, I thought they became very repetitive and bland by the third album.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:00 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Heavier and also less shit Nu Metal, still Nu Metal though. Like what Sol says.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:28 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Oldz chatting bullshit again.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:45 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

You don't agree that Slipknow were Nu Metal?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:57 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Definitely not, IMO. Nu-metal had a minor influence on their sound, yes, but they were very distinctive and separate from any "nu-metal" movement by miles. They were grungey, they had elements of death metal (particularly by Iowa), they certainly became trendy and very popular, but they weren't what I'd class as 'nu-metal', no...

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:43 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I still think that anything with a 7 string at the time was getting unfairly lumped. Nu influences and Ross' sound on the SLIPKNOT debut for sure, but too metal to be fully categorized.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:17 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Shakin' Steev-unz wrote:
Definitely not, IMO. Nu-metal had a minor influence on their sound, yes, but they were very distinctive and separate from any "nu-metal" movement by miles.

why did they work with Ross Robinson during the height of his nu-metal phase then if they were 'miles away'? Why did they bother seeking him out? Why did they incorporate so many plodding 2-3 note riffs played on a b string? The list goes on.

Slipknot's lyrics were also rather typical of the genre in the early days too imo, Mudvayne even moreso.

Mudvayne's lyrics=whine central. They also employed the same down tuning, repetitive phrases, rhythmic vocal patterns etc etc. The difference is that their music was often more complicated, but it was messing with a common formula. They were just more creative with it than most. Doesn't mean they transcended the genre.

In fact, i'd argue one of the reasons Mudvayne never became the group they could have been is because they let cliche get in the way far more often than it needed to.

I think Slipknot and Mudvayne deserve credit for trying to expand the borders of an incredibly limited genre, but that doesn't make them separate from it.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:37 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

^ True about MUDVAYNE. I think their look ruined their sound, and that's really hard to do.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:42 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Of course Slipknot were Nu-Metal, you big sillies. They differed from the rest by emphasising the actual Metal elements of their sound at a time when you were supposed to be embarrassed of them, but they were definitely Nu-Metal.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Duckstyle wrote:
^ True about MUDVAYNE. I think their look ruined their sound, and that's really hard to do.

their image was atrocious, esp on the debut, and the whole alien concept on the second record didn't appeal to me either, although it was better than the first one.

But what ruined Mudvayne was the cliched, high school poetry and general temper tantrums of vocalist Chad Grey, and their weak attempts to court rock radio.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:10 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Who remembers the Ross Robinson produced Vanilla Ice nu metal album?

Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:06 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I bet Steev likes it.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:48 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I always thought Mudvayne were before their time. The track Dig (which most think of) wasn't exactly representative of the psychedelic progressive edge tracks like 'Death Blooms' had and the conceptual edge that ran through LD50. It was unfortunately their peak though, the album that followed felt too polished, too restrained and I haven't heard a dickie since...tell a lie, i did and it was sub-standard Pantera ripoff - no doubt the transitionary motive for Chad to move towards Hellyeah. Agreed, the image didn't help disperse the accusations of "wagon hoppers" though, in the same way Mushroom Head got tarnished with that brush as well.

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

deadthyme wrote:

I liked it. Listened to it a lot.

Still like it.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:34 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

deadthyme wrote:

certainly do. I own it. got it in a trade. i kept it for shits and giggles. It's a typical Robinson production of the late 90's grafted haphazardly onto Ice's korn/biskit clone worship.

it's most notable for the metal version of Ice Ice Baby:

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:39 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Lugzan wrote:
I always thought Mudvayne were before their time. The track Dig (which most think of) wasn't exactly representative of the psychedelic progressive edge tracks like 'Death Blooms' had and the conceptual edge that ran through LD50. It was unfortunately their peak though, the album that followed felt too polished, too restrained and I haven't heard a dickie since...

agree, 'The End Of All Things To Come' was a more conventional 'song' based record, perhaps in response to the main criticism of LD 50. i.e that it lacked songs. Either way, it was clearly a step in the wrong direction, but it has its moments.

The production on LD 50 was stellar too. one of the best of its time for a metal record imo. it was just a huge wall of sound and noise, but it was highly textured, and somewhat unusual. almost alien.

Can't say i've heard a bass sound quite like that on a metal album before.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:45 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Satellite_Radio wrote:

Can't say i've heard a bass sound quite like that on a metal album before.

This. It's what really drew me in. Well, the rhythm section in general. They really had something going until they simplified it. I've never actually heard the "Kill I Oughtta" stuff, but I think they had a different bass player at the time.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next