www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - What makes a good review?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 What makes a good review? 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: What makes a good review?
Korn were big enough to do the 'Family Values' tour every year, their attempt at a version of Warped/Ozzfest etc.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:54 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The last Korn record was quite good imo. easily the best thing they have done in years.

seemed kind of weird hearing them make a quasi-throwback record though after all these years, esp as that style is now way out of fashion.

it was either brave or stupid, depending on your perspective.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:03 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

There's a lot of nostalgia for nu-metal again partly due to bands like Emmure and Suicide Silence repping them hard and guesting on KoRn albums and such. Jonathan Davis and Frank Mullen of all people guested on the latest Suicide Silence album for example.

The SS album was really fucking disappointing though apart from those two tracks. Lost what makes them unique.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:33 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Duckstyle wrote:
I've noticed a more than occasional tendency for Tez get a bit too gooey over UK bands in general. Not so much that they want to promote them more or give them higher marks, but that they tend to mention that they are British, or that they hold a new hope for Britain or any given writers pride that they are actually British. Seems lacking in impartiality.

British music press right there. Most UK music magazines (from Q to Metal Hammer to NME) will do an issue once every two years or so with four or five mediocre bands on the cover with a UK flag in the background and the slogan "THE BRITPACK ARE COMING - Meet Britain's most exciting new bands!" The Britpack are not, and never were, coming.

Oh god, this is something I always say as well, the British thinking they are the most wonderful producers of rock'n'roll in the world because of something that happened 40 years ago - exactly the same attitude we seem to have towards football.

"Britain's most exciting new band" are almost never Britain's most exciting new band. I love reading their "we're going to conquer America" interviews and then a few months later, regular as clockwork, their "we pretty much had a nervous breakdown" interviews, when it transpired, in the interim, that America didn't give two fucks about them, and the American press, shockingly, weren't sycophantic to their every utterenace.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:57 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Satellite_Radio wrote:
The last Korn record was quite good imo. easily the best thing they have done in years.

seemed kind of weird hearing them make a quasi-throwback record though after all these years, esp as that style is now way out of fashion.

it was either brave or stupid, depending on your perspective.

Hmmm.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:10 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^hmm what? ;)

Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:13 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Dear God Sat Rad, you can educate an ocker but they are still an ocker.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:52 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Delectable Dr Dee wrote:
Dear God Sat Rad, you can educate an ocker but they are still an ocker.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:08 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Tom Of The Wode wrote:
They played arenas in america and they've definitely played big venues over here too.

Aye, arenas. Arenas aren't stadiums. Saw them at Wembley Arena and they were bloody good. Issues tour, I think.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:20 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Shakin' Steev-unz wrote:
Arenas aren't stadiums.

And elbows aren't aircraft.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:12 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Clint Ruin wrote:

"Britain's most exciting new band" are almost never Britain's most exciting new band. I love reading their "we're going to conquer America" interviews and then a few months later, regular as clockwork, their "we pretty much had a nervous breakdown" interviews, when it transpired, in the interim, that America didn't give two fucks about them, and the American press, shockingly, weren't sycophantic to their every utterenace.

Cf Kasabian on the front cover of NME and Q this week, presmably.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:20 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I suppose I get where the provincial pride comes from, but does it REALLY matter? I'm a bit of an idealist when it come to this kind of thing. Not to say, why are we building up these kinds of barriers based on location? Can't we all just unify and be proud/happy for one another? If it's your best mate from school's band that hits it big, that's a little different, but this segregation of sounds is really an iceberg apex of a "Me against you" mentality. It crosses all of my wires.

The size of the US makes it even more so. I mean, people from NYC give a FUCK about METALLICA being huge so they might "counter" with KISS or DREAM THEATER. Makes no sense to me.

End hippy rant on us all being one.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:31 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I have never understood that whole national or regional pride thing. One thing you get a lot in this country is people complaining about how others don't 'support' local music, but why should anyone when this country lacks so much and follows too often when it comes to artistic endeavours. If I'm going to listen to something it better be darn good, not something just because it is from my own backyard.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:58 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Tom Of The Wode wrote:
There's a lot of nostalgia for nu-metal

Really? Fucking hell I'm old.

Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:16 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Is it genuine nostalgia, or is it just 'ironic' pisstaking like so many throw backs these days?

Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:31 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I saw KoRn on the Untouchables tour. Was excellently crushing. The setlist was pretty much every tune I wanted. For the record...

Self-titled > issues > life > untouchables > leader... i haven't heard the rest.

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
Is it genuine nostalgia, or is it just 'ironic' pisstaking like so many throw backs these days?

Well I genuinely love Nu-Metal. Red likes Limp Bizkit and I assume it's not the only Nu Metal band he loves and I know a lot of folk who grew up with it who still do. So I would assume so.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:44 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Nu metal should have been better than it was.

Combining punishing loops of Helmet/Prong style riffing with the darkest and most dangerous '90s gangsta rap (Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, Onyx) is a bloody good idea, the reality of it was another whiny watering-down of both sides of the equation. Godflesh's 'Songs Of Love And Hate' distilled this, and then, crucially, they moved on.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:01 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

You never know. It could still be done. Not too late.

Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:14 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Tom Of The Wode wrote:
You never know. It could still be done. Not too late.

I was always curious as to what Candiria might have been able to do, but rarely did they incorperate both elements into the same song - their hip hop tracks tended to stick to simply being a hip hop track amongst a bunch of metallic tracks, but at least they weren't completely horrible on the hip hop tracks.

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next