www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Fear Candy 98
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fear Candy 98 
Infant-ry
Infant-ry

Post Fear Candy 98
I know I may have said some stuff about how we didnt need the fear candy cd when everyone with an internetconnection, could just check stuff out for themselves. Anyway ive stopped buying albums a month or something ago (im trying to save up money for a bigger/better stereo), and its refreshing to have some new tunes, and the new cd has some really good stuff like Mastodon, Skeletonwitch, Glorior Belli etc. of course theres alot of boring filler but it is what it is, you know? And bear with me here, cause this might sound dumb but then i remembered when i was 13 or something like that and didnt have as much money as i have now (lol) my favorite parts of the music magazines was the free cds. My point is just that the cd might not be for everyone and i have often just tossed into a drawer but i still think it should be there, mainly for the youngsters, even when i start buying music again. Just my 2 cent.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:05 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Fear Candy 98
It gone one play and then went in the bin.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:28 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I thought it was pretty good this month.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:11 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

NEVER STOP THE FREE CD!!!! It will kill the magazine like it's killed many before it!

Bugs me when people give up CDs and want to deny the pleasure from people that still like getting CDs. Not everyone walks around with a hand held Internet device.

An even better idea would be to include a DVD once in a while. Metal Videos rule!

Mon May 07, 2012 4:01 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Metal videos are frequently pretty dire.

Why does having a "hand-held internet device" have anything to do with whether or not you like CDs?

Mon May 07, 2012 11:34 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Shallowthing wrote:

Why does having a "hand-held internet device" have anything to do with whether or not you like CDs?

Just seems the generation who get everything they need from hand-held devices are always threatening to destroy any other physical formats.

But I'm sure there's plenty of people who walk around with hand held devices also buy CDs. It's those that could be stranded in a desert and still have everything that could make them happy if they have nothing but their hand held device (downloaded books, albums, movies, games, etc).

Hey, whatever makes people happy.......just don't do away with the things that make other people happy!

Mon May 07, 2012 12:05 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I don't buy that argument. A lot of people I know still use physical formats, and just use the ipod for being on the move. An Ipod fits in your pocket and has lot's of stuff depending on mood, my CD walkman won't, and is limited to whatever CD I take out of the house,

Mon May 07, 2012 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Annihislater wrote:
I don't buy that argument. A lot of people I know still use physical formats, and just use the ipod for being on the move. An Ipod fits in your pocket and has lot's of stuff depending on mood, my CD walkman won't, and is limited to whatever CD I take out of the house,

I have an MP3 player too. But it's filled mostly with music from CDs I own. I guess the point I'm trying to make is I still prefer the mix CD with the magazine rather than some download or to have to play music off some site.

Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Why?

Mon May 07, 2012 8:07 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Because I'm an old fuck.

Mon May 07, 2012 9:38 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

And you don't call that a "mix cd"?

Okay, whatever you call it. If the bands are paying for the pleasure (pictures a bunch of bands with big smiles on their faces) then shouldn't it be made available in a format that people will be most likely to listen to it? In my case, that would be CD format. I rarely go to playlists on the Internet because I try not to be sitting in front of my computer that long. Yep, CD is more convenient for my lifestyle.

I'm only making a fuss because I've seen other mags scratch the CD and I'd hate to see Terrorizer do that. I'm also psyched because I'm getting free Devin Townsend CDs with my subscription. Keep the freebies coming, I say!

Tue May 08, 2012 12:02 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Green Man wrote:
I rarely go to playlists on the Internet because I try not to be sitting in front of my computer that long.

But sitting in front of a CD player for that long is any better? Why do you even have a CD player? Doesn't your PC have a CD drive?

Green Man wrote:
Yep, CD is more convenient for my lifestyle.

Tue May 08, 2012 1:07 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Green Man wrote:
Just seems the generation who get everything they need from hand-held devices are always threatening to destroy any other physical formats.

I'm 34, and I don't agree with you.

Werther's Original?

Tue May 08, 2012 8:23 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

and CD quality is better - it plays around 1200kbps as opposed to your max 320kbps for mp3, through a decent stereo will be awesome, Richie. Not that I really have CDs these days, but that's more of a question of space/money/wife...

Tue May 08, 2012 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I've got nothing against CDs at all, personally, I just think Green's making some silly assumptions.

Tue May 08, 2012 8:59 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

my main problem with the discs are they are usually mostly rubbish, with the exception being tracks I already have, or at least tracks from albums I have pre ordered.
There was a time I would listen to every track on the free disc, but I soon realised it was less than pleasurable, and felt more like a chore.

I can see why it's there, and that there are those who benefit from it, but it's got to the point where I don't even look at what's on the disc and it usually just goes in the bin.

Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Painkiller wrote:
I've got nothing against CDs at all, personally, I just think Green's making some silly assumptions.

Probably. I do that. :lol:

Wed May 09, 2012 12:22 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Morf wrote:
major-general heavy wrote:
and CD quality is better - it plays around 1200kbps as opposed to your max 320kbps for mp3, through a decent stereo will be awesome, Richie. Not that I really have CDs these days, but that's more of a question of space/money/wife...

The human ear is most sensitive in a certain frequency range and not very sensitive outside of that. Having high sampling rates though the full range of human hearing is just wasteful. That's the idea of mp3s.

yep, somthing like 20HZ to 20KHz ain't it? but actually some sub-bass may not be audible but can be 'felt', and the effect it has on other frequencies (harmonics) does influence how the music sounds, i agree mp3 at 320 is very close to cd quality, enough for most situations, but if you CAN you might as well have the CD...

Wed May 09, 2012 6:17 am
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Morf wrote:

The human ear is most sensitive in a certain frequency range and not very sensitive outside of that. Having high sampling rates though the full range of human hearing is just wasteful. That's the idea of mp3s.

Oh, how interesting. I read another science article about the link between not having a massive record collection and enjoying a hard penis up the bum. Apparently the boffins tell us tolerance to MP3's leads to craving for willie.

Wed May 09, 2012 6:26 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Morf wrote:

yep, somthing like 20HZ to 20KHz ain't it? but actually some sub-bass may not be audible but can be 'felt', and the effect it has on other frequencies (harmonics) does influence how the music sounds, i agree mp3 at 320 is very close to cd quality, enough for most situations, but if you CAN you might as well have the CD...

It's only that when your born, it quickly slides, especially the high end. I think it's generally assumed most adults have up to 15,000/18,000 which is how those 'mosquito' alarms that annoy kids but aren't heard by adults work.
But our perception of frequency isn't flat across the board either. We perceive 3000Hz to be louder than it is for example, and it's thought to be something to do with a baby crying being around that frequency, and it being some sort of primal survival instinct. But if you look up the Fletcher Munson Curve it explains it. And if you have pro tools you can do an experiment with a signal generator to prove it for yourself by getting a test tone at 1k at 0db, and then picking a frequency setting it at -60db and getting someone else to slowly bring up the fader and you tell them to stop when you think your at 0db, and generally you end up going way over for low and high frequencies, but as you approach 3000 you end up guessing below.
The sub bass can indeed be felt, which is what your LFO does if you have 5.1 surround sound. It's not really for sound as such, more low rumbles and effects.

Wed May 09, 2012 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next