www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:27 am



Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer? 
Author Message
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:51 pm
Posts: 528
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
Termoid wrote:
Quite a few forum members complain that we rarely get any new faces.What better way than to include the forum in the actual magazine.This would entice new people/victims onto the forum once they read how witty and fun we are by printing quotes and sections of threads.It's my guess that most Terorrizer readers have never even visited the forum. What do you think?


You would not believe how many people say to me "I went on the Terrorizer forum and they were all so unfriendly, they ripped me to shreds".

_________________
Wolf Bender wrote:
Clint Ruin wrote:
Miranda looks like someone's wacky auntie who always has a gin bottle in her handbag for emergencies/brightening up her day.

I thought she looked like the head of the English department at a high school, though perhaps that says more about the school I went to than her..


Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:03 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 10909
Location: Hull
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
miranda wrote:
Termoid wrote:
Quite a few forum members complain that we rarely get any new faces.What better way than to include the forum in the actual magazine.This would entice new people/victims onto the forum once they read how witty and fun we are by printing quotes and sections of threads.It's my guess that most Terorrizer readers have never even visited the forum. What do you think?


You would not believe how many people say to me "I went on the Terrorizer forum and they were all so unfriendly, they ripped me to shreds".


Ban them.


Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 12:29 am
Posts: 12432
Location: The Bridge, Imperial Star Destroyer
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
miranda wrote:
Termoid wrote:
Quite a few forum members complain that we rarely get any new faces.What better way than to include the forum in the actual magazine.This would entice new people/victims onto the forum once they read how witty and fun we are by printing quotes and sections of threads.It's my guess that most Terorrizer readers have never even visited the forum. What do you think?


You would not believe how many people say to me "I went on the Terrorizer forum and they were all so unfriendly, they ripped me to shreds".


But you flit in and out of here, surely you see this isn't the case (other than Termy mistaking a person for a spambot...). No one gets ripped to shreds until they're 'established'... as in the "Outsiders Opinion of the Forum" thread, I was 'new' a year ago and certainly don't get where that sort of response comes from. Unless these people are in bad bands and post in Shameless and expect smoke blown up their passages which isn't forthcoming...

What's your view on the forum, please Miranda? And why it's so hard to find (last I looked I couldn't find the link off the main Tez site, but that was a couple of months ago)?


Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:31 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
I think the mag is embarassed by us and I don't blame them at all. Many of us no longer read the mag, it's (d)evolved to aim for a diifferent audience to the mag we used to love. In the time I've posted here - four years, man and boy, I've gone from someone who decreasinlgy loved the mag and still defended it on here, to someone who wouldn't consider buying unless it drastically changed.

I hope the cuntishness has subsided, I think the newish people who have been picked on have deserved it, by "people" I mean Warren and Cuntmuncher. The fact that johnny doom is tolerated says a lot.


Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:37 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:18 pm
Posts: 12911
Location: Leigh
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
There's 651 poeple registered who've made at least 1 post, And an average circulation of just over 10,000 (According to the most recent issue). SO that's roughly 6.5%. However 1417 people are registered on the forum, so 14% of readers have signed up to the forum.
However in the last 5 minutes, there's been 8 registered, 3 hidden and 23 guests online in the last hour, so if you take that as a ratio of 11:23, for every 651 we can say there's 1,357 guests (Assuming I woked that out right.) or 2 962.4 guests for the 1417 registered users.
So from that lets say 4 379.4 are aware of the forum, which is roughly 43% of the the magazines average circulation, which isn't that bad really.

_________________
Last.fm


Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:51 pm
Posts: 528
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
Shakin' Steev-unz wrote:
What's your view on the forum, please Miranda? And why it's so hard to find (last I looked I couldn't find the link off the main Tez site, but that was a couple of months ago)?


I usually come one here once a working day just to make sure nothing weird is going on (by this I mean the place suddenly looking like a dog's dinner or something).

I've seen a lot of bollocks written about the forum over the years, including a persistent rumour that the money-grabbing fascist owners of Terrorizer want to close the forum as it's too expensive to run. LOL.

Certain, ahem, infant-ile individuals made this place pretty awful at times, but thankfully that individual hasn't darkened our towels for a while (I believe!).

I've going to put a link on the front of the main site in a second to make the forum accessible from the menu bar, but generally you've always had a link on the right marked with a graphic that says "Terrorizer Forum".

I've met quite a few people from the forum in real life, and I got nothing other than positivity from them.

So, who's coming to Cathedral in December?

_________________
Wolf Bender wrote:
Clint Ruin wrote:
Miranda looks like someone's wacky auntie who always has a gin bottle in her handbag for emergencies/brightening up her day.

I thought she looked like the head of the English department at a high school, though perhaps that says more about the school I went to than her..


Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:24 pm
Profile
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:51 pm
Posts: 528
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
Dastardly Dr Dee wrote:
I think the mag is embarassed by us


I'm not, really.

Dastardly Dr Dee wrote:
I've gone from someone who decreasinlgy loved the mag and still defended it on here, to someone who wouldn't consider buying unless it drastically changed.


Tell me what I should do to make you buy it.

Dastardly Dr Dee wrote:
I hope the cuntishness has subsided, I think the newish people who have been picked on have deserved it, by "people" I mean Warren and Cuntmuncher. The fact that johnny doom is tolerated says a lot.


Yes, see my post above.

_________________
Wolf Bender wrote:
Clint Ruin wrote:
Miranda looks like someone's wacky auntie who always has a gin bottle in her handbag for emergencies/brightening up her day.

I thought she looked like the head of the English department at a high school, though perhaps that says more about the school I went to than her..


Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 10909
Location: Hull
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
miranda wrote:
Tell me what I should do to make you buy it.


Less coverage of Metal Hammer bands (Machine Head, Mastodon etc.).I stopped buying MH and bought Terrorizer to get away from mainstream metal bands.
Also Sarcastic Existence really does need to go.


Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:18 pm
Posts: 12911
Location: Leigh
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
Termoid wrote:
miranda wrote:
Tell me what I should do to make you buy it.


Less coverage of Metal Hammer bands (Machine Head, Mastodon etc.).I stopped buying MH and bought Terrorizer to get away from mainstream metal bands.
Also Sarcastic Existence really does need to go.

Whilst I agree in the sense I'd rather they weren't in the mag. I think they make nice transitory bands for people coming from the likes of MH, who'll have something familiar in the mag as well as the new bands they'd discover, as well as making people who were undecided more likely to choose it (again looking at the potential buyer from the point of view of someone coming from a more mainstream background.)

_________________
Last.fm


Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 10909
Location: Hull
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
I understand a magazine has to sell copies to survive but is including mainstream metal bands the answer?


Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:51 pm
Posts: 528
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
Termoid wrote:
Less coverage of Metal Hammer bands (Machine Head, Mastodon etc.).I stopped buying MH and bought Terrorizer to get away from mainstream metal bands.
Also Sarcastic Existence really does need to go.


I was shocked at just how good the Machine Head album is. And the Mastodon is pretty damn good too, the guitar work sounds like a dirty David Gilmour :) I think both these artists have a place in Terrorizer as long as they produce music that's Terrorizery.

We cover shit loads of stuff that's not mainstream. When was the last time you read a Terrorizer?

_________________
Wolf Bender wrote:
Clint Ruin wrote:
Miranda looks like someone's wacky auntie who always has a gin bottle in her handbag for emergencies/brightening up her day.

I thought she looked like the head of the English department at a high school, though perhaps that says more about the school I went to than her..


Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:14 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 12:29 am
Posts: 12432
Location: The Bridge, Imperial Star Destroyer
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
I've started picking up the odd issue here and there, and my view (and the predominant one expressed in the thread about what we'd like to see from Terrorizer) was less dumbing down - a lot of us were drawn to Terrorizer from Hammer back in the mid/late 90's because it was better written, was more focused on the music (e.g. the latest Joey Jordison interview was a Kerrang or Metal Hammer piece... I have absolutely no problem with Slipknot being in Terrorizer, or having a cover, but I'd prefer it to be more about the music than the drummer's mental health).

Under the dumbing down, there was comments about there should be less sidebars about "musicians who've taken heroin - lolz" and longer, more descriptive, better reviews (I understand the need to fit more in, but the shorter reviews are hardly worth a toffee now - how about having an additional reviews section online and expanding each individual review a bit, and invoking more editorial selection about what is reviewed in the mag, rather than everything goes in the mag in 100 words or less. )

I guess a lot of us on here grew up with a certain style of Terrorizer when it seemed a bit more high-brow than the other mags, it seemed to have more credibility and to be exclusively about the music. Now, I think you can go too far with that and become snooty and elusive, and that's not what it should be - there needs to be a balance to appeal to the teen-market (who are probably the biggest consumer of this sort of music) - but don't turn yourselves into Hammer 2, or Hammer's "extreme cousin". The problem is Hammer is currently ploughing a similar furrow musically now it's decided metal is "cool" again.

I hope this isn't seen as a criticism in anything other than the most constructive format.

(Ps, can I claim payment for my Testament interview being re-used in the thrash special?! lol)


Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:39 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 12:29 am
Posts: 12432
Location: The Bridge, Imperial Star Destroyer
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
miranda wrote:
I was shocked at just how good the Machine Head album is. And the Mastodon is pretty damn good too, the guitar work sounds like a dirty David Gilmour :) I think both these artists have a place in Terrorizer as long as they produce music that's Terrorizery.


Am with you on that. Both really good, strong albums. I liked that you had both bands in the mag, and agreed with the Machine Head review.

miranda wrote:
We cover shit loads of stuff that's not mainstream. When was the last time you read a Terrorizer?


And to be fair, due to the last issue of Tez I picked up Solstafir, which I've been pushing on here and I loved, Absu 'Abzu', Dark Forest 'Dawn of Infinity' and Falloch 'Where Distant Spirits Remain', all of which I'm really liking.

Also tried Fyrnask, who didn't rock my world, but in terms of recommends, last months was good for me


Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:43 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 10909
Location: Hull
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
miranda wrote:
Termoid wrote:
Less coverage of Metal Hammer bands (Machine Head, Mastodon etc.).I stopped buying MH and bought Terrorizer to get away from mainstream metal bands.
Also Sarcastic Existence really does need to go.


I was shocked at just how good the Machine Head album is. And the Mastodon is pretty damn good too, the guitar work sounds like a dirty David Gilmour :) I think both these artists have a place in Terrorizer as long as they produce music that's Terrorizery.

We cover shit loads of stuff that's not mainstream. When was the last time you read a Terrorizer?


Both new Machine Head and Mastodon albums are great but if I want to read about them I would buy Metal Hammer.The main reason people buy Terrorizer is to read about the bands MH don't/won't cover.More in-depth coverage of bands like Rex Mundi, Looking for an Answer and Inkisitor would be nice for example.All three of those bands have cracking albums out that need more publicity.


Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:44 pm
Posts: 15990
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
The last issue I bought was 197. I still haven't made in any further than page twenty-two. I did skip to the review section, though - a review section in which Diamonds by fucking Enforcer was given 8.5, and on the very next page Exodus's Exhibit B: The Human Condition only got 5. This magazine was clearly not written by or for anyone with functioning ears.

miranda wrote:
Tell me what I should do to make you buy it.

Sick Sounds.

_________________
Image


Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:16 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 10909
Location: Hull
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
I agree, most of the album reviews and ratings are inaccurate and misleading.


Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 pm
Posts: 8683
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
Shallowthing wrote:
The last issue I bought was 197. I still haven't made in any further than page twenty-two. I did skip to the review section, though - a review section in which Diamonds by fucking Enforcer was given 8.5, and on the very next page Exodus's Exhibit B: The Human Condition only got 5. This magazine was clearly not written by or for anyone with functioning ears.

Different journalists review different albums. One person liked the Enforcer album; another disliked the Exodus album; you happened to disagree with both of them on those particular points.
I've always found it weird how people say (about any music magazine) "oh, they like/don't like such and such." The editor does not tell people what marks to give albums!

I think the last few issues of Terrorizer have been better and better, and I'm not just saying that.

_________________
Guardian-reading Fairtrade coffee-drinking bollocks


Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:23 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 10435
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
Image


Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:47 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:18 pm
Posts: 12911
Location: Leigh
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
I think certainly the most recent issue is an improvement. Or perhaps there's been a dip in quality recently, and it just seems better in comparison

_________________
Last.fm


Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:44 pm
Posts: 15990
Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
Ed Blackadder wrote:
The editor does not tell people what marks to give albums!

How do you explain the Enforcer situation, then?

_________________
Image


Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:49 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.