www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer? 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Should the forum have it's own column in Terrorizer?
Who the fuck are Enforcer?

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:32 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Shallowthing wrote:
Ed Blackadder wrote:
The editor does not tell people what marks to give albums!

How do you explain the Enforcer situation, then?

Maybe the person that reviewed it (editor or not) just happened to really like it...

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:37 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Shallowthing wrote:
The last issue I bought was 197. I still haven't made in any further than page twenty-two. I did skip to the review section, though - a review section in which Diamonds by fucking Enforcer was given 8.5, and on the very next page Exodus's Exhibit B: The Human Condition only got 5. This magazine was clearly not written by or for anyone with functioning ears.

Different journalists review different albums. One person liked the Enforcer album; another disliked the Exodus album; you happened to disagree with both of them on those particular points.
I've always found it weird how people say (about any music magazine) "oh, they like/don't like such and such." The editor does not tell people what marks to give albums!

I think the last few issues of Terrorizer have been better and better, and I'm not just saying that.

There is a collective responsibility and collective contribution whether individual journalists acknowledge it or not. The editor may not tell people what to give albums but the journalists write under an editorial remit (presumably) and the editor pulls everything together.

I still buy Tez every month (not subscribed due to my "nomadic" lifestyle) but in answer to the jist of Miranda's question. Less frivolous stuff. The feel is becoming more cartoony, which is not what I want personally (approaching 40 years of age, not a typical reader I'm sure.)

No, the mag isn't embarrassed by the forum. I think that's placing faaar too much credence on to what goes on here. No, there's no conspiracy to close it. People may not want to stay here on this forum because it's largely self-run which is good generally, but bad if someone who doesn't fit the mould for on here wants to contribute (no, I don't mean Warren.) Consistent modding is needed.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:48 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Termoid wrote:
Both new Machine Head and Mastodon albums are great but if I want to read about them I would buy Metal Hammer.The main reason people buy Terrorizer is to read about the bands MH don't/won't cover.More in-depth coverage of bands like Rex Mundi, Looking for an Answer and Inkisitor would be nice for example.All three of those bands have cracking albums out that need more publicity.

sure, but Terrorizer have always operated this way, even in their heyday. covering bands like Machine Head and Coal chamber back in the late 90's didn't prevent them from hyping smaller ones like In The Woods and Arcturus.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:01 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

^ True. It's not the bands covered that has changed much, it's the content and depth imo.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:03 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^exactly.

I don't buy the mag as often anymore, because it just doesn't have enough substance for my liking. In the past i used to buy it and read it carefully over a lunch break and on the way home from work or school. and there would often be things i would reread too, just out of interest. Now a new issue will barely even last me a single 20-25 min train ride. and i rarely--if ever--go back to it once i've finished.

Of course i'm a much quicker reader than i used to be, and the interest level just isn't the same as it once was, but the writing in the mag just doesn't inspire me to check out albums anymore.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:05 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Steev and Dee, you misconstrue me - I didn't just mean the review. Clearly someone senior has a massive boner for the band.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:16 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Shallowthing wrote:
Steev and Dee, you misconstrue me - I didn't just mean the review. Clearly someone senior has a massive boner for the band.

Louise has made no secret of her love for the band.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I still buy it but there are now periods of several issues, like three or four in a row, where there is nothing of interest to me. Previously, an entirely unengaging issue was a rarity, it happened about once every couple of years at most.

The length of the reviews is inadequate - especially now bearing in mind that Metal Hammer have revamped their look, and almost all their reviews are (or at least appear to be) longer.

Most, though not all, of the really good journalists have gone, or contribute only sporadically. I am not trying to slate anyone's writing style particularly, it could well be, again, that the tiny word count for the reviews may be hampering them.

I like Mastodon and Devin a lot, but they are unusual in that they are MH type acts I unashamedly enjoy, I don't otherwise care overmuch for death metal, in any of its guises, trad black metal, or these identikit hordes of Euro festival filler Viking/trad/power metal groups, I mean, what the fuck do they even exist for, except to pay homage to zillions of similar bands? And they say fuck all interesting in their interviews, either. If I hear the expression "old school" one more time I will do my nut.

Total Fucking Destruction, Hey Colossus and Palehorse, to name but three, have released extremely good albums this year, but T has paid them very little attention, in Hey Colossus' case, none at all.

I find the Dominion section not crap exactly, but just baffling in who it chooses to cover. Focussing on stuff like Within Temptation or Wil Francis from Aiden, I mean, what? That's Metal Hammer territory - in fact, that's basically Kerrang territory. Foetus released an album this time last year, while the always reliable Alex Boniwell gave it a good review, it was another tiny one, and no interview or feature at all. The guy is a legend of industrial and experimental music, for all the highbrow compositional stuff he does, he still has one foot planted firmly enough in nasty rock'n'roll territory that there is just no excuses not to give him a little more coverage. Ditto the Young Gods. Ditto Chris Connelly. Ditto, especially, Skinny Puppy; both they and Ogre/ohGr have releases this year, and he/they are also inarguably legendary in their sphere.

I wouldn't have had to badger Selzer or Stannard or Nick Terry to give more coverage to these acts: they'd already be ahead of me.

As I say, I still buy the mag, and I don't want to be seen as attacking it out of pure ungrateful snide, but there doesn't seem to be any doubt that it has consciously moved away from what I like. Which is fair enough (you're a business, you have to follow the money), but it seems like a loss to me because there is a shitload of great music out there, from both old and new acts, that you just seem blind to.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:11 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

miranda wrote:
Dastardly Dr Dee wrote:
I think the mag is embarassed by us

I'm not, really.

Dastardly Dr Dee wrote:
I've gone from someone who decreasinlgy loved the mag and still defended it on here, to someone who wouldn't consider buying unless it drastically changed.

Tell me what I should do to make you buy it.

Dastardly Dr Dee wrote:
I hope the cuntishness has subsided, I think the newish people who have been picked on have deserved it, by "people" I mean Warren and Cuntmuncher. The fact that johnny doom is tolerated says a lot.

Yes, see my post above.

If you're not embarassed good, what I was gettint at, is that most of us don't read the mag and slag it off. I don't think the forum is at all important outside of it's own cosetted little world. Giventhaqt the mag seems to be going for a younger audience, those that do come on here to find a bunch of jaded curmudgeons arguing over Tom Waits and Was's piano falling down the stairs msuic, must be bewildered to say the least.

In terms of what you could do to get me and I daresay a fair few other forumites rereading:

Much less dumbing down, in fact you need to do the opposite of it and drastically. I want an informed, intelligent and elitist mag. By elitist, I mean for example one that is unafraid to address ideologies underpinning music, not handwringing about NSBM exploring band's philosphies where it informs the music. Not Slipknot "I just don't give a fuck" redneck fuckwittery though.

Equally a less kiddy orientated layout and look.

Also intelligently written, not patronising the reader and making an assumption that they are an informed person rather than someone who has to be handed things on a plate. Longer, more involved reviews and features.

I think covering culture that relates to Metal - film, art, books, stuff like the interview with Alan Moore about the recording's of his spoken performances.

In relation, covering genres and artists that overlap and or influence Metal - Neofolk, Dark Ambient, Nick Cave, Prog, some avant garde artists etc much as Nick Terry era did.

Keep coverage of "new bands" to a minimum, or at least, do something different to "Choice Cuts" or whatever it was, 4-5 pages of dull sounding bands written about in an uninspiring manner.

Basically aim the magazine at people in their late 20s and older, I don't mean turn it into the sort of Old Fart Metal Museum that Chantler et al threaten to morph the forum into. I'm happy to read about classic acts as well as brand new, even the occasional kiddy-ish one if the writing is good enough.

When I subscribed the distribution seemed to be dropping by around a 1000 a year, I guess the mag and the industry in general is in dire straits, you need to make a decision one way or the other, Bro-core Me the Horizon kids or the likes of us, I doubt you can find a way to appeal to both. To win me personally back, you need to go for an older market who I think would appreciate a more intelligent and higher quality appraoch. Not all the "kids" are thick with shit taste, I started readings Tegs at 17 many others here were younger, I am sure there are plenty of kids who are looking for antidote to Kerrang as well as oldies.

Finally: bring back Andrew of Wrexham!

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:12 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Agree with both Dee and Clint. I actually think Hardcore needs to be covered more. I know some of the metal-orientated types here groan, but there really is little coverage of the thriving UKHC/Power Violence (And indeed rest of Europe too) stuff that's going on lately.

You make no mention of the great UK indie labels finding great bands (Holy Roar, Purgatory Records, Thirty Days Of Night Records, Witchunter Records to name just a few) and supporting them. The only thing I can really think that was close was Ed Blackadder's feature on Cerebral Ballzy, arguably one of the best features of the recent crop of issues (And not just saying that cause I'm backin' the bro hard cause he's a forum dude. Genuinely well written article and informed me a lot about the band even if I thought I already knew most stuff about them).

It just feels to me that there's a whole layer of underground dark, moody, aggro music that's being left out and instead the focus seems entirely on rather dull average metal. I started reading the mag when I was 15 by the way. I'm 23 now.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:26 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Tom Of The Wode wrote:
Agree with both Dee and Clint. I actually think Hardcore needs to be covered more. I know some of the metal-orientated types here groan, but there really is little coverage of the thriving UKHC/Power Violence (And indeed rest of Europe too) stuff that's going on lately.

You make no mention of the great UK indie labels finding great bands (Holy Roar, Purgatory Records, Thirty Days Of Night Records, Witchunter Records to name just a few) and supporting them. The only thing I can really think that was close was Ed Blackadder's feature on Cerebral Ballzy, arguably one of the best features of the recent crop of issues (And not just saying that cause I'm backin' the bro hard cause he's a forum dude. Genuinely well written article and informed me a lot about the band even if I thought I already knew most stuff about them).

It just feels to me that there's a whole layer of underground dark, moody, aggro music that's being left out and instead the focus seems entirely on rather dull average metal. I started reading the mag when I was 15 by the way. I'm 23 now.

Haha, thanks very much, but I only wrote the article - Darren Sadler did the interview, so I can't take all the credit. It certainly wasn't my idea to include the band in the magazine.

RE "there should be more hardcore and punk", I'm pretty sure I've seen people saying that since I first bought the magazine, five years and three editors ago.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:35 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Jimmy's reign had a healthy dose of it actually from what I remember. Though I figure the decline of it is Glasper doesn't appear to be writing as much now.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:38 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Tom Of The Wode wrote:

Seconded. This was an issue in the 90's as well. There were so many brilliant albums and releases back then that are conspicuous by their absence when you look back at the mag now.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:38 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Tom Of The Wode wrote:

You shall see no groanage from me young man, I agree, personally I'd rather see more HC than identikit cheeseball festival filler viking metal shite in the magazine.

The content of the magazine in terms of who they cover is not the big problem for me though, it is as Dee said, the dumbing down, and the general format. There are already magazines like that on the market, and simple things like the little sidebars, "the wizards sack" sarcastic existence etc are pointless and annoying, and the reviews are not nearly substantial enough. Also, the whole Dominion thing, is something like that necessary? Maybe you could alternate between that and other in depth scene reports, like hardcore, grind, the South American metal scene, Japanese trad metal, crust, doom etc, or something focusing on smaller indie labels?

As far as metal goes, I'd like to see more of bands like Zemial, Bretwaldas Of Heathen Doom, Spiritus Mortis, Grave Desecrator etc. Or a decent piece on Ross The Boss (the man, not just the band) please.

Oh, and my long promised Fast Eddie Clarke interview. ;)

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:44 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I do at least partly accept the argument that they can only reflect what's out there. As we get further and further away from the most creative periods of the music in question, it stands to reason the writing will get shallower, if you want to remain essentially positive about what's happening.

But!..the exceptions can still be emphasised of course. I mean only 1 measly page for Hammers of Misfortune about their new album? Come on. :( :(

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:51 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

8-)

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:28 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

better bands to write about then :D

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:55 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I can't remember the last issue I purchased - possibly sometime around the prog special with Rush on the cover. Other than that there has been the occaisional peruse of a friend's copy (tbh I don't think it is in many newsagents these days). Main reason I guess for reading it less is that I am less interested in metal (or at least that which is happening these days) than around the time I started reading Tez (circa 2005 - I think I bought it religiously throughout '06-'07).

From the few issues I have seen lately, I would agree on the reviews section. Personally I find reviews far more useful than interviews in gauging whether or not I would like to dig further into a bands album/catalogue. And I would agree that the format was going south, even when I was buying the mag. Too busy and 'random' for my taste.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:24 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

I've read Terrorizer fairly regularly since about 97, and it has consistently been a good magazine with coverage of stuff you just don't find in MH or K.
The new reviews are too short, and yes, the Joey Jordison interview was balls, however, there was a time when Terrorizer was, at times, fucking inpenetrable. Some of the articles were so wordy it was like a shelf-load of Thesaurus' were having a soggy-biscuit competition onto the mag. Self-congratulatory "look how clever and wordy we are" is no better than "SLLLLAAAAYYYUUUUURRRRGGGGGGHHHHH" redneck dumbing down - it was a line that Terrorizer has walked very competently in the past, but has occasionally slipped either side of at times. I think what I'm trying to say is that I'm sure it'll swing round again, so have faith chaps! I for one will keep reading.

Anyway, to return to the point of this thread - no, the forum should not have it's own column in the mag. That would be fucking embarassing.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next