www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - #217
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: #217
Annihislater wrote:

The Meads have just shy of 9000 listeners on last.fm, and let's remember not everyone has last.fm, so it's hardly like they're nobodies. They're on Candlelight too, which seems to be one of the hottest labels around at the moment. Plus there's the whole 'heritage' thing that The Wolves are doing that sells like hotcakes at the moment. So their would certainly some interest in them. Also opinion though it is, the Meads only album I prefer to WoA is the most recent. The other 3 albums I don't consider as good as the Wolves album.
But shouldn't bands be featured because they are good? Not because they have a lot of fans already? Even if it's just a small column in Choice Cuts, or one of the smaller articles towards the back before you get to hard of hearing and the mix tape bit.

But I feel I'm going on a tangent from my initial point. It's the double standard that annoyed me. I'm not having a hissy fit because they didn't cover a band I like, it's just annoyed me that the reasons/principals given for not covering the band I like, have been completely foregone for the sake of profit by covering another band.

bloody sell outs :lol:

Bro, when it comes to Wolves Of Avalon, I have no idea why it was deemed too risky? But I don't really care either, the album isn't anything that hasn't been done a million times over. Burzum, was a pioneer. Fair enough, maybe they do warrant a choice cuts.
The Meads get plenty of love in the mag too. So it's not like Tez shun or ignore them.

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Lugzan wrote:
robitusson wrote:
Hammers Of Misfortune deserve a cover feature a thousand times more than Varg. Doomsword deserve a cover feature a thousand times more than Varg. Primordial deserve a cover feature a thousand times more than Varg. Pentagram deserve a cover feature a thousand times more than Varg. Autopsy deserve a cover feature a thousand times more than Varg. WITTR deserve a cover feature a thousand times more than Varg. etc. etc. etc. etc.

And thankfully that's why you don't run a magazine, it wouldn't last long.

Autopsy and WITTR have been on the cover of Decibel this year, Primordial have been on the cover of Zero Tolerance.

Different horses for different courses Ed. I think it's more important to have largely identifiable "cover stars" on the mag. I appreciate if you disagree with me. Plus I think most of the cover stars do make good music. I like a lot of Burzum's albums, I listened to Det Som En Gang Var and Filosofem only this morning, I don't think Belus is that bad at all either. I abhor the rhetoric he adopts but I'm not going to pretend I hold any sort of moral high ground when it comes to being interested in music and the people behind them. Especially when his lyrics are hardly delivering any sort of hate message.

MALIBUMAN wrote:

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

No, you're right to say Decibel and ZT are different magazines from Terrorizer with different audiences maybe. I was just saying it's not completely unreasonable to expect these bands to be on the cover of magazines, that's all.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:15 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

What do people think about the rest of the issue? I haven't read it yet and can't remember who's in it this month, other than Burzum and Shining.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:21 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Lugzan wrote:
Annihislater wrote:

The Meads have just shy of 9000 listeners on last.fm, and let's remember not everyone has last.fm, so it's hardly like they're nobodies. They're on Candlelight too, which seems to be one of the hottest labels around at the moment. Plus there's the whole 'heritage' thing that The Wolves are doing that sells like hotcakes at the moment. So their would certainly some interest in them. Also opinion though it is, the Meads only album I prefer to WoA is the most recent. The other 3 albums I don't consider as good as the Wolves album.
But shouldn't bands be featured because they are good? Not because they have a lot of fans already? Even if it's just a small column in Choice Cuts, or one of the smaller articles towards the back before you get to hard of hearing and the mix tape bit.

But I feel I'm going on a tangent from my initial point. It's the double standard that annoyed me. I'm not having a hissy fit because they didn't cover a band I like, it's just annoyed me that the reasons/principals given for not covering the band I like, have been completely foregone for the sake of profit by covering another band.

bloody sell outs :lol:

Bro, when it comes to Wolves Of Avalon, I have no idea why it was deemed too risky? But I don't really care either, the album isn't anything that hasn't been done a million times over. Burzum, was a pioneer. Fair enough, maybe they do warrant a choice cuts.
The Meads get plenty of love in the mag too. So it's not like Tez shun or ignore them.

It was deemed too risky because Rob Darken did guest vocals one track.

Also as someone into folk metal quite a bit, I've not heard anyone quite like The Wolves of Avalon. I've heard bands with certain elements in their sound that they share with WoA, but I can't bring to mind any that sound the same. Perhaps Woodtemple's more recent album's have a bit in common, but to suggest it's been done a million times over is ludicrous. I'm not suggesting it's the best music their is. It probably won't even make an end of year top ten, but it's far from run of the mill.

Also the meads number crunching was a result of your "only a fraction of the 52 Meads fans" comment

Michael Easton wrote:
What do people think about the rest of the issue? I haven't read it yet and can't remember who's in it this month, other than Burzum and Shining.

I have read bit and bobs. The Venom interview seemed a little lacking substance. It sort of reminded me of the sort of bonus features you get on DVD where a question pops up on the screen, and an actor will give a one or two sentence answer.
It just seemed like a series of disjointed statements. I guess it was somewhat interesting what he was saying, but I just don't really like the way it was presented.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Annihislater wrote:

Also the meads number crunching was a result of your "only a fraction of the 52 Meads fans" comment

I was being a lil' facetious buddy. I'm a Meads fan even have the old tee with english fucking black metal on the back, had to sell it because i stopped wearing it - they only produced XL sizes - gutting. tbh, if that was the reason for not covering Wolves, it is a lil' silly.

MALIBUMAN wrote:

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Yes, "morally bankrupt". Calm down.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:54 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Lugzan wrote:

Not at all. There's not one shred in that mag that is supporting Varg's comments. That's like saying the BBC support the BNP because they let Nick Griffin on QT.

Putting him on the cover doesn't give credence to him? Doesn't at least tacitly support him? That's either extremely naive or just arguing for the sake of it. I don't have a problem with this outside of my own personal feelings about Varg, but the responsibility has to be taken and the implications accepted when something like this is chosen to be done. That's all. :)

btw there's no comparison to the BBC putting BNP on. BBC is (supposed to be) a matter of record. It's held to account by various things. Tez is very much a promotional publication, (which there's nothing wrong with of course.) Varg on the cover is fine ultimately, but the running for cover when the criticisms come, or when some responsibility is looked for, aren't.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:00 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Meh I'm personally not offended by him being on the cover. And that's expressed by my defense lying in objective journalism. I don't think they're giving him "a platform" for anything other than to show just how much of a dick he is. As I said, the features around 2010 largely pander to him and are afraid to ask him the confrontational questions most people want to ask him - you elderly bunch aside - the guy is a myth to a lot of the younguns coming up through metal's ranks and are going to have quite a dissociation to his antics and might not know about him and these are Tez readers too y'know. I'm glad Terrorizer had the balls to outright ask him some of those things and print the tactless answers he gave. I can't imagine that feature is going to garner any sympathy, understanding or sales for him. So in that respect, by highlighting what a knob he is, has the mag actually finally hammered a nail in to his own critically acclaimed coffin? And is that not a good thing?

Anyway, what else is in there?

MALIBUMAN wrote:

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Lugzan wrote:
So in that respect, by highlighting what a knob he is, has the mag actually finally hammered a nail in to his own critically acclaimed coffin? And is that not a good thing?

Could be, indeed.

Who's "elderly"? :evil: :evil:

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:21 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

robitusson wrote:
Who's "elderly"? :evil: :evil:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3060&view=next

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:14 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Djentlemanly Dr Dee wrote:

:lol: :lol:

MALIBUMAN wrote:

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Lugzan wrote:

Damnation review :D

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:29 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

M0rf))) wrote:
Lugzan wrote:
Meh I'm personally not offended by him being on the cover. And that's expressed by my defense lying in objective journalism. I don't think they're giving him "a platform" for anything other than to show just how much of a dick he is. As I said, the features around 2010 largely pander to him and are afraid to ask him the confrontational questions most people want to ask him - you elderly bunch aside - the guy is a myth to a lot of the younguns coming up through metal's ranks and are going to have quite a dissociation to his antics and might not know about him and these are Tez readers too y'know. I'm glad Terrorizer had the balls to outright ask him some of those things and print the tactless answers he gave. I can't imagine that feature is going to garner any sympathy, understanding or sales for him. So in that respect, by highlighting what a knob he is, has the mag actually finally hammered a nail in to his own critically acclaimed coffin? And is that not a good thing?

Yes but you can hardly say "We're putting Varg on the cover to debunk him as a clueless idiot". As much as you deny or avoid it the mag is saying "We're giving mixed messages because we want ol' Unkie Varg to sell magazines but this time we're taking a pop at him too".

He's bought it on himself. Plus the amount of people that think the Tez team are racists (I only hate dirty micks and they're white, it don't count) because he's on the cover is a joke, so maybe there was a little effort by editorial to press home they we aren't of his mind but fuck it - the guy is a pioneer to bands like Wolves In The Throne Room et al. We can't ignore him. At this point, it'd be handy if someone from the editorial popped in to say something, but it'd only continue round in circles. The issue looks good though, the Lock-up piece looks good.

MALIBUMAN wrote:

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:06 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Please, if TerrorizerMag will post something about Paradise Lost new album what will be out in the April just tell me about that, because of in Russia, as i know, we didn't got Terrorizer.

Common, give yourself a chance!
https://music.yandex.ru/users/lecter-zador/playlists/3

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:13 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Having now read the Varg interview I certainly don't think there was any expose of him as a clueless idiot, i think it was an intelligent enough piece to let his words speak for himself on a number of issues. it is up to the reader to make up their mind. Certainly i found Varg more interesting and intelligent than Shining numbnuts talking about how he hopes to inspire self harm

The part which does concern me is the Machine Head poster. what the fuck is that all about?

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:41 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I read the Nightwish article yesterday. Or should I say the 'Tonight, Tuomas Holopainen, this is your life' article. I guess it was reasonably interesting, but there didn't seem much to it other than he had a great childhood in a forest, and then he entered the real world, and it was shit, so he bought a keyboard.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Turns out we won't need to have this discussion again - http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/2011_ ... izer.shtml

What a self-centred prick. As if magazines ever run the entirety of an interview, there are other features to go in the magazine besides Varg's diatribes.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:02 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

I liked the article itself. He at least had something vaguely intelligent to say when he was talking about music, and the racism was addressed for just long enough to confirm that yes, his views are the same incoherent balls he was spouting when he was a teenager. What I didn't like was that a guy who hasn't released anything halfway relevant or interesting for coming up on two decades was given a cover story.

I don't have the slightest clue to what extent sales figures vary depending on the cover star, so if it's an out and out choice between sticking The Lock Up or Astrohenge on it and not sustaining a magazine for very long, or going for the most sensationalist option and selling three times as many copies, fair enough, needs must. It just seems a shame that so many recent covers have been comparatively huge bands (Arch Enemy, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir) who you'd be just as likely to see on the front of Metal Hammer, and giving it to someone who was just on it last year and doesn't even have any original material to offer this time is no better. Ah well, at least Devin Townsend was on it a couple of months ago.

Also, in case anyone who's actually heard Wolvhammer read my review and thought I might have been suffering brain damage when I wrote it, it changed in sub-editing translation. 'Wondrously bereft of any production values-shirking posturing' was what was actually submitted, but somehow became 'Wondrously bereft of anything resembling shirking, posturing or for that matter production value'. It might be slightly less structurally awkward, but it means the exact opposite of what I wrote and doesn't make sense. These things happen, no harm done, frantic deadlines etc, but I just thought I'd get it out there to avoid anyone thinking I'm a deaf arsehole/Wolvhammer's producer tracking me down and setting fire to my face.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:25 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Turns out we won't need to have this discussion again - http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/2011_ ... izer.shtml

What a self-centred prick. As if magazines ever run the entirety of an interview, there are other features to go in the magazine besides Varg's diatribes.

:lol: oh Varg, what are you like...

You can't help but laugh at times.
"some prisons in Norway still had 93% Muslims in them even when I did time"

"(I am not driving a f***ing Land Rover when the Land Rover company is not even owned by the English and Russian 4*4s are better off-road anyway... ;-p). " (the thought of Varg winking and pulling his tongue out simultaneously is what makes this funny for me :lol: )

"as you might know "It" is not really Swedish at all, he is a Gypsy, and they are known to not always tell the truth... "

Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next