www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Issue 220 - Mr Vincent 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
That wouldn't actually surprise me.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:40 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Solaris wrote:
bás wrote:
Did you buy the Tez Doom special this week?

What now?

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:48 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Aye, just had a look at the plug on the main site. Hmm...

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:54 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
I've never understood why people complain about reviews... Some guy slightly disgrees with your opinion of a particular album, so what?

There's "slightly disagrees", and then there's "so wrong you're left wondering both what album they've been listening to". When you go through the review section and the best album you've heard that year gets panelled and the latest hipster crock of shit that you've heard once and struggled to stay awake during gets the cover, a huge feature, and is lauded to the skies in a shamelessly hagiographic "review" that has to have been paid for by the record company, it's pretty clear that the source is not for you and the £4 you paid for it might as well have been flushed down the toilet. How can you trust the reviews of albums you haven't heard when the reviews of albums you have were clearly written by Stevie Wonder?

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:35 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Shallowthing wrote:
Ed Blackadder wrote:
I've never understood why people complain about reviews... Some guy slightly disgrees with your opinion of a particular album, so what?

There's "slightly disagrees", and then there's "so wrong you're left wondering both what album they've been listening to". When you go through the review section and the best album you've heard that year gets panelled and the latest hipster crock of shit that you've heard once and struggled to stay awake during gets the cover, a huge feature, and is lauded to the skies in a shamelessly hagiographic "review" that has to have been paid for by the record company, it's pretty clear that the source is not for you and the £4 you paid for it might as well have been flushed down the toilet. How can you trust the reviews of albums you haven't heard when the reviews of albums you have were clearly written by Stevie Wonder?

Stevie Wonder can hear, and I would imagine, still write. Or at the very least dictate.

One would suggest, however, that his sources of reference and musical preferences (and I'm taking a long shot here...) may not correlate to the Terrorizer demographic, mind

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:01 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

In your case Shallowthing, I agree, because I think your posts on this forum have demonstrated how wildly your opinions on music differ from the vast majority of humanity's.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:16 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Ed Blackadder wrote:
In your case Shallowthing, I agree, because I think your posts on this forum have demonstrated how wildly your opinions on music differ from the vast majority of humanity's.

Metal, like all other genres is cluttered with the lumpen, generic no hopers who constitute the bulk of all it's numbers. I've often wondered why these second, third, fourth etc rate bands continue exist, often to the point where they've released half a dozen or more albums.

Shal is the answer to that question.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:21 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Whether or not I agree with the gist of any of its reviews is immaterial as far as I'm concerned. The real problem is that virtually every other music publication in the country has better, longer, more informative album reviews than Terrorizer does right now. All this stuff about whether such-and-such a band are over hyped, or whether to score out of 5 or 10, is at best a distraction from that unfortunate stark fact.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Shakin' steev-unz wrote:
Stevie Wonder can hear, and I would imagine, still write. Or at the very least dictate.

One would suggest, however, that his sources of reference and musical preferences (and I'm taking a long shot here...) may not correlate to the Terrorizer demographic, mind

Steev is a grossly underestimated member of this forum. 5 fists.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:50 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Dashing Dr Dee wrote:
Metal, like all other genres is cluttered with the lumpen, generic no hopers who constitute the bulk of all it's numbers. I've often wondered why these second, third, fourth etc rate bands continue exist, often to the point where they've released half a dozen or more albums.

If Shal ever stops bying music, Spinefarm will go out of business overnight.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:52 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Dashing Dr Dee wrote:
Ed Blackadder wrote:

Rammstein, Dee.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:37 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I don't like Rammstein, but even to me they're clearly in a different league to all the 4th rate, bollock-less Melo-Goth-Lite drivel you constantly toss yourself off over.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:39 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yes. Rammstein are drivel. The bands I like are great. Clearly.

Anyway, we're getting off point: The reviews in Terrorizer are rubbish. (Or at least they were the last time I wasted £4 on the rag, and from what you lot have said they aren't getting any better.)

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:44 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Clint Ruin wrote:
whether to score out of 5 or 10,

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:46 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Painkiller wrote:
I don't like Rammstein, but even to me they're clearly in a different league to all the 4th rate, bollock-less Melo-Goth-Lite drivel you constantly toss yourself off over.

This is where Robit's "some art is objectively better than other art" stance is confirmed.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:33 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm
NoVice
NoVice

I just want to weight in here too. I agree with those who say the marking out of 5 is too limiting. Just look at how many 3s and 4s there are in issue 220 - it's hilarious and ultimately makes the system of assessment utterly meaningless. Scoring out of 10 is much more useful. Or not scoring at all is fine too, but you can't have a reviews section of 50 odd albums where everyone gets 3/5.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 am
NoVice
NoVice

They're not fists anymore Morf, they're decibels or something. As in, "The new Anathema received five out of five decibels! The other 49 reviews in the mag scored 3 decibels!"

Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:04 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

When I first started reading Tez it was radiation symbols with half and albums seldom got below 4 and virtually never below 3, which was frustrating.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:28 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

On the other side Tez could argue that there's no point giving space to a 2/5 album when there's so many releases every month.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next