www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 am



Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Issue 220 - Mr Vincent 
Author Message
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 43921
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
That wouldn't actually surprise me.


Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:40 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 12:29 am
Posts: 12432
Location: The Bridge, Imperial Star Destroyer
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Solaris wrote:
bás wrote:
Did you buy the Tez Doom special this week?

What now?


Image


Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:48 am
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 43921
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Aye, just had a look at the plug on the main site. Hmm...


Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:54 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:44 pm
Posts: 15990
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Ed Blackadder wrote:
I've never understood why people complain about reviews... Some guy slightly disgrees with your opinion of a particular album, so what?

There's "slightly disagrees", and then there's "so wrong you're left wondering both what album they've been listening to". When you go through the review section and the best album you've heard that year gets panelled and the latest hipster crock of shit that you've heard once and struggled to stay awake during gets the cover, a huge feature, and is lauded to the skies in a shamelessly hagiographic "review" that has to have been paid for by the record company, it's pretty clear that the source is not for you and the £4 you paid for it might as well have been flushed down the toilet. How can you trust the reviews of albums you haven't heard when the reviews of albums you have were clearly written by Stevie Wonder?

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:35 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 12:29 am
Posts: 12432
Location: The Bridge, Imperial Star Destroyer
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Shallowthing wrote:
Ed Blackadder wrote:
I've never understood why people complain about reviews... Some guy slightly disgrees with your opinion of a particular album, so what?

There's "slightly disagrees", and then there's "so wrong you're left wondering both what album they've been listening to". When you go through the review section and the best album you've heard that year gets panelled and the latest hipster crock of shit that you've heard once and struggled to stay awake during gets the cover, a huge feature, and is lauded to the skies in a shamelessly hagiographic "review" that has to have been paid for by the record company, it's pretty clear that the source is not for you and the £4 you paid for it might as well have been flushed down the toilet. How can you trust the reviews of albums you haven't heard when the reviews of albums you have were clearly written by Stevie Wonder?


Stevie Wonder can hear, and I would imagine, still write. Or at the very least dictate.

One would suggest, however, that his sources of reference and musical preferences (and I'm taking a long shot here...) may not correlate to the Terrorizer demographic, mind


Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:01 am
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 pm
Posts: 8683
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
In your case Shallowthing, I agree, because I think your posts on this forum have demonstrated how wildly your opinions on music differ from the vast majority of humanity's.

_________________
Guardian-reading Fairtrade coffee-drinking bollocks


Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:16 am
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Ed Blackadder wrote:
In your case Shallowthing, I agree, because I think your posts on this forum have demonstrated how wildly your opinions on music differ from the vast majority of humanity's.


Metal, like all other genres is cluttered with the lumpen, generic no hopers who constitute the bulk of all it's numbers. I've often wondered why these second, third, fourth etc rate bands continue exist, often to the point where they've released half a dozen or more albums.

Shal is the answer to that question.


Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:21 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:01 pm
Posts: 3514
Location: the collective unconscious
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Whether or not I agree with the gist of any of its reviews is immaterial as far as I'm concerned. The real problem is that virtually every other music publication in the country has better, longer, more informative album reviews than Terrorizer does right now. All this stuff about whether such-and-such a band are over hyped, or whether to score out of 5 or 10, is at best a distraction from that unfortunate stark fact.


Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 am
Posts: 28491
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Shakin' steev-unz wrote:
Stevie Wonder can hear, and I would imagine, still write. Or at the very least dictate.

One would suggest, however, that his sources of reference and musical preferences (and I'm taking a long shot here...) may not correlate to the Terrorizer demographic, mind


Steev is a grossly underestimated member of this forum. 5 fists.


Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:50 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 am
Posts: 28491
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Dashing Dr Dee wrote:
Metal, like all other genres is cluttered with the lumpen, generic no hopers who constitute the bulk of all it's numbers. I've often wondered why these second, third, fourth etc rate bands continue exist, often to the point where they've released half a dozen or more albums.

Shal is the answer to that question.


If Shal ever stops bying music, Spinefarm will go out of business overnight.


Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:52 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:44 pm
Posts: 15990
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Dashing Dr Dee wrote:
Ed Blackadder wrote:
In your case Shallowthing, I agree, because I think your posts on this forum have demonstrated how wildly your opinions on music differ from the vast majority of humanity's.


Metal, like all other genres is cluttered with the lumpen, generic no hopers who constitute the bulk of all it's numbers. I've often wondered why these second, third, fourth etc rate bands continue exist, often to the point where they've released half a dozen or more albums.

Shal is the answer to that question.

Rammstein, Dee.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:37 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 am
Posts: 28491
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
I don't like Rammstein, but even to me they're clearly in a different league to all the 4th rate, bollock-less Melo-Goth-Lite drivel you constantly toss yourself off over.


Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:39 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:44 pm
Posts: 15990
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Yes. Rammstein are drivel. The bands I like are great. Clearly.

Anyway, we're getting off point: The reviews in Terrorizer are rubbish. (Or at least they were the last time I wasted £4 on the rag, and from what you lot have said they aren't getting any better.)

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:44 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27512
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Clint Ruin wrote:
whether to score out of 5 or 10,

5.

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:46 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Painkiller wrote:
I don't like Rammstein, but even to me they're clearly in a different league to all the 4th rate, bollock-less Melo-Goth-Lite drivel you constantly toss yourself off over.


This is where Robit's "some art is objectively better than other art" stance is confirmed.


Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:33 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27512
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
Image

_________________
Image


Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm
Profile
NoVice
NoVice
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 1:18 pm
Posts: 9
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
I just want to weight in here too. I agree with those who say the marking out of 5 is too limiting. Just look at how many 3s and 4s there are in issue 220 - it's hilarious and ultimately makes the system of assessment utterly meaningless. Scoring out of 10 is much more useful. Or not scoring at all is fine too, but you can't have a reviews section of 50 odd albums where everyone gets 3/5.


Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 am
Profile
NoVice
NoVice
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 1:18 pm
Posts: 9
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
They're not fists anymore Morf, they're decibels or something. As in, "The new Anathema received five out of five decibels! The other 49 reviews in the mag scored 3 decibels!"


Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:04 am
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
When I first started reading Tez it was radiation symbols with half and albums seldom got below 4 and virtually never below 3, which was frustrating.


Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:28 am
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm
Posts: 8326
Post Re: Issue 220 - Mr Vincent
On the other side Tez could argue that there's no point giving space to a 2/5 album when there's so many releases every month.

_________________
Why was the Christmas thread unlocked and then locked again??? Completely without justification.


Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:32 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.