www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - #222: Huntress Article
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 #222: Huntress Article 
Gimp
Gimp

Post #222: Huntress Article
Terrorizer wrote:
After a childhood spent singing along to her mother's Barbra Streisand records, she was first exposed to metal in high school, where she heard Suicidal Tendencies and Slayer. But she fell in love with the genre - and all its trappings - back on the farm. "My father would hire farmhands for the summer, and there was this one called Jim," she remembers. "He would play Judas Priest while he was bailing hay. He used to wear cut-off denim vest, shirtless underneath, and he was so fine. He smelled like Skoal and beer. That really set the bar for who I'm attracted to. I like heshers."

Terrorizer wrote:
As Jill speaks, it occurs to us that her skintight black jeans and equally snug sweater are still a far cry from the revealing warrior-princess outfits she wears onstage and in the "Eight of Swords" video.

Two choice cuts from a nauseatingly cringeworthy feature.

Is this really the same magazine that not so long ago featured an article (by Jim Martin if I remember correctly?) that discussed the embarassing history of gender representation in the UK rock/metal press? Is this some sort of deadpan post-ironic stunt designed to draw attention to these issues or is it a horrible, brazenly cynical piece of trash journalism that represents a new low standard for the magazine? I'm not sure if I found reading this article more embarassing or depressing but even if it was just aimed to be provocative it seriously undermines what respect I still have left for Terrorizer. I might not be helping by drawing attention to it, but it's just too awful.

Oh yes - dreadful, dreadful band as well.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:32 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: #222: Huntress Article
Cool.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:59 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Bring me a piece of the writer's hair or a drop of his blood, and I'll perform a ritual to make The Great Kat visit him in his dreams and flay the skin from his nads by playing the whole of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition on a Flying V in 30 seconds.

Last edited by Painkiller on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:56 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Not read the article or even heard of the band until this moment, but I agree in principle with the OP. This is 2012, for crying out loud, have rock mags not moved on from the whole Gaggin' For A Shaggin' thing at all? Except that T, once upon a time, had done so - this isn't failure to move on, this just more evidence of a major, major fucking backslide.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:53 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Sounds like the tone is similar to the Hammer interview, and I think that's how she wants to play the game, though. She's an ex-Playboy model and I don't think it's an accidental approach on her part. Maybe the mag should have challenged her on it, rather than ridden along with it, but don't think for a second that isn't how she wants it portrayed at the moment

Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:30 pm
Gimp
Gimp

Shakin' steev-unz wrote:
Sounds like the tone is similar to the Hammer interview, and I think that's how she wants to play the game, though. She's an ex-Playboy model and I don't think it's an accidental approach on her part. Maybe the mag should have challenged her on it, rather than ridden along with it, but don't think for a second that isn't how she wants it portrayed at the moment

I don't doubt it; poor show on the magazine's part though. I see I get a bit verbose when I'm wound up about something, as above, but I stand by the general disdain and exasperation. I don't think that sort of shite would've gotten the time of day in times of yore and it's disheartening to see it creeping in.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:52 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I've never even heard of them before this, but have just listened to Eight Of Swords on YouTube. It sounds like something that I should like, done so badly that I can't - honestly, they sound like someone doing a shit impression of Three Inches Of Blood (which is a terrible idea, and I actually don't mind TIoB) with really terrible vocals.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:57 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I've yet to listen to them but I've seen the pictures and read the articles and in Terrorizer's defence there is no exploitation or gagging for a shagging smuttiness. She has willingly marketed herself as some witchy, faerie, forest dwelling nymph with lovely knockers. No one is forcing her to pose semi naked in every promo pic. If it's a marketing ploy it's failed for me because when I see a band with a scantily clad female singer I automatically assume they are shit and overcompensating so yeah fuck Huntress. Gimme fat, ugly hairy men any day.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:02 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

bás wrote:
in Terrorizer's defence there is no exploitation or gagging for a shagging smuttiness. She has willingly marketed herself as some witchy, faerie, forest dwelling nymph with lovely knockers. No one is forcing her to pose semi naked in every promo pic.

I think you've misunderstood a bit, bas. No-one's suggesting that they've tricked or exploited her into it (though you could question what room there is in "the industry" for an attractive woman who's not prepared to sell herself that way, but that's a different argument) - the complaint here is that they've bought into it so readily. Back in the Nick Terry days Tez used to challenge bands on their bullshit stances, these days they seem happy to endorse it without question.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:05 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

You're right Painkiller I didn't really read the other posts thoroughly. I suppose they bought into simply because they have to sell magazines. Not much room for a true kvlt magazine these days commercially.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:09 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

It's not about being Trve and Kvlt, it's about assuming that your readership has some degree of intelligence and awareness, and wants you to actually ask meaningful questions rather than just drool over the fact that there's, like, a chick who, like, plays METAL, dude. I suppose that is asking quite a lot, actually.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:16 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

It's not just the "hur hur, boobies" thing, either - you've got cunts like that Kvaforth knob happily wanking on about how suicide is cool. The magazine just seems more willing to buy into the bullshit in a way that, as Clint points out, they didn't used to.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:18 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I'm completely with you on the Kvaforth knob. That article with him and the dickhead from Watain was total bait for pissed off impressionable teens.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:25 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ps, re.the bird from Huntress... I'm kidding myself if I said I wouldn't, though...

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:59 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

One of the best album/shag/tempo things I ever had was Orange Goblin - Time Travelling Blues. It's impossible not to fall into rhythm when there's tunes on, and it was a good overall rhythm...

I wouldn't expect it to work with most girls...! Lol It just happened to be on, it wasn't a deliberate seduction approach!

Out of choice, Enigma: MCMXC AD always seemed to do the trick

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:13 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Have you seen Boxing Helena?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:16 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Nope. Is that the one with the kangaroo?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:17 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Kind of. Bill Paxton's a marsupial, right?

Anyway, there's shagging to an Enigma soundtrack. It's quite cringeworthy, to be honest. Even at the time it was cheesetastic.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:21 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Google tells me the kangaroo one is called 'Matilda' (I could have guessed, really)

Um, I'm wrong in not hating this, aren't I? It's like if Megadeth still liked metal and had someone who could vaguely sing fronting them. A lot more "metal" than I was expecting. I was expecting a lame slightly heavier Ghost type-thing.

On reflection, won't download, it's pretty standard stuff and it's not great, but, yeah didn't hate it.

Her arms are too skinny. I still would though.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:28 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Dunno, I can't say I have any interest in them.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next