www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Issue #223 - The King is back!!!!
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Issue #223 - The King is back!!!! 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Issue #223 - The King is back!!!!
I miss the old ones. Bring back the finger guns lass!

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:52 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Annihislater wrote:
Shakin' steev-unz wrote:
but I guess the current slant is to focus on personalities.

That'ss an interesting point. I remember Chantler asking when the last time the whole of a band made it on the cover, and I'm sure it was 2010. It's always the front man of a band, and looking through a couple of back issues here

[cut to save space]

It's pretty unusual to be able to set up an interview with several members of the band though. Whether you email or phone, it's difficult to talk to two people at once, isn't it? Unless you actually meet the band in person (which is dependent on them being in town, or the journalist going somewhere to meet them which is expensive unless it's a festival or something) it's just too logistically difficult to interview several people usually. Don't you think?

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:09 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Annihislater wrote:
Shakin' steev-unz wrote:
but I guess the current slant is to focus on personalities.

That'ss an interesting point. I remember Chantler asking when the last time the whole of a band made it on the cover, and I'm sure it was 2010. It's always the front man of a band, and looking through a couple of back issues here

[cut to save space]

It's pretty unusual to be able to set up an interview with several members of the band though. Whether you email or phone, it's difficult to talk to two people at once, isn't it? Unless you actually meet the band in person (which is dependent on them being in town, or the journalist going somewhere to meet them which is expensive unless it's a festival or something) it's just too logistically difficult to interview several people usually. Don't you think?

I take your point. But quite often it feels like the interview is just about that one person. The extreme example being David Vincent the other month, but also Rob this month, and the lass from Huntress. They are one's that immediately spring to mind as not having an awful lot to do with music.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I totally agree with you, not just on logistics, but a lot of bands the decision is taken for the frontman (not necessarily the singer, but usually) to do the press, or it to be shared and guitarist A does interviews A-M and vocalist/guitarist B does N-Z.

My point on personalities is, as Anni says, pretty much all of the interviews seem to be slanted around the individual being interviewed - the "personalities" in the band... about them as a person, not even so much about them as a musician.

Oddly, the Moonspell interview in Dominion was one of the better ones, cos he was clearly passionate about the music (have interviewed him before a few times, and Fernando is always a good interviewee, to be fair) and put across about the writing process, the influences, the style, the mindset of the album and it wasn't about him (am still not going to check it out, mind, the Moonspell ship has sailed for me, but that and Ihsahn interviews were the only 2 that got me vaguely interested in the 'product')

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:26 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Annihislater wrote:
Ed Blackadder wrote:
Annihislater wrote:

I take your point. But quite often it feels like the interview is just about that one person. The extreme example being David Vincent the other month, but also Rob this month, and the lass from Huntress. They are one's that immediately spring to mind as not having an awful lot to do with music.

I wouldn't say it's not about the music. If you want to be strictly about the music just print the music. Interviews that get out the personality or the persona of the artist is about the package you may or may not buy into. For me, it's not just music I buy when I buy a metal album or go to a show. The big package is who the people are or who they pretend to be that makes it all interesting. I think there's some bands out there that might have some good music out there but I'll never know because they're fucking dickheads (like the assholes that jumped me at a show several years back - great way to promote your band you fucking pieces of shit!).

I don't think Huntress would be half as appealing if it wasn't for the costumes, boobs, talk about dancing around naked around fires, etc. Sure I'm not looking at all that stuff while I listen to the CD with my headphones but the images and ideas have already been put into my mind.

If ever there's an interview with Karsten Jäger I want to read all about his personal struggles in life and any other personal shit he feels like ranting on about. Because that's the source of the lyrics (or was it Jochen Trunk who writes the lyrics? I remember seeing something about it on the Protected Hell bonus DVD). Anyway, that's what I find so amazing about disbelief is not just the music but the emotional charge that makes that music so gripping.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:44 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Morf wrote:
I hope they're paying you A LOT, Ed.

Shut up arsehole, I was suggesting an explanation in response to Anni's point, and I wasn't doing any kind of sucking up or defending the magazine or whatever you're implying. How or who Terrorizer journalists interview is nothing to do with me and I'm not saying it is, I was simply making a point in response to someone else's.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:46 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

FIGHT!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:17 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Wretch wrote:
I miss the old ones. Bring back the finger guns lass!

And the ball riding one! If nothing interesting was being posted I would just stare at that one for awhile.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

PERSONALLY! I have always found features a whole band are a bit tiresome to read and unnecessary. I've always preferred to read about the main songwriter or personality behind the band's music.

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2