www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Live Reviews
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Live Reviews 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Live Reviews
So what's the deal now with live reviews in the mag? - it says to scan for more content but since I don't have a scanner at home it's a little impossible. Is there more subscriber content on the website - or can we all see the reviews (which I can't find)....

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:53 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Live Reviews
I just scanned last months and got this URL
http://www.terrorizer.com/blog1.php/rev ... e-reviews/

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are so many live shows and festivals that we are using the print mag to lead in to more comprehensive content on the website, reason being it gives us the great opportunity to devote a decent amount of space to festivals like Eistnaflug and run reviews of shows pretty much the day after like this here Warbringer review.

I thought she looked like the head of the English department at a high school, though perhaps that says more about the school I went to than her..

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:51 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

It does make sense actually. I think that's a good way to show content anyway.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:25 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

What is this 'scanning' of which you speak? Is it that black and white squares affair that you need a fancy phone to use? Bit elitist, if so.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:24 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Get wid da yoof, old man.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:01 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Oh, I'm hip. You kids still say "hip", right?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:32 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

That's like so yesterday.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:43 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I can't fucking stand that sinister little square of black and white shapes that suddenly appeared everywhere, and I do mean EVERYWHERE - its insidious and disgusting omnipresence alienating the vast majority of the population without the latest expensive trendy gadget and looking like the dehumanising stamp of an occult dictatorship.

It was annoying enough when it was just on flyers, recently I've seen it on wooden posts in the middle of the New Forest and even the wristband on my newborn niece, which is just terrifying. Who do I get in touch with to tell them to shove it up their arse?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:44 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Chantler wrote:
I can't fucking stand that sinister little square of black and white shapes that suddenly appeared everywhere, and I do mean EVERYWHERE - its insidious and disgusting omnipresence alienating the vast majority of the population without the latest expensive trendy gadget and looking like the dehumanising stamp of an occult dictatorship.

It was annoying enough when it was just on flyers, recently I've seen it on wooden posts in the middle of the New Forest and even the wristband on my newborn niece, which is just terrifying. Who do I get in touch with to tell them to shove it up their arse?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:11 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Chantler wrote:

Japan had this years ago, Britain is playing very slow catch-up

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:14 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Tomochin wrote:
Chantler wrote:
the dehumanising stamp of an occult dictatorship.

Japan had this years ago, Britain is playing very slow catch-up

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:19 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:38 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

...says the horse-riding swordsman.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:54 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chantler wrote:
I can't fucking stand that sinister little square of black and white shapes that suddenly appeared everywhere

I'm hot and cold with them, and scan them as frequently as I travel to the moon.

I thought she looked like the head of the English department at a high school, though perhaps that says more about the school I went to than her..

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:12 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spin Magazine (from the good ol' US of A) have pretty much taken live AND recorded music reviews out of the magazine and put them online, leaving the magazine to publish features etc. The physical mag publishes quarterly.

My thoughts are that this is likely to be the way going forward for music mags. The problem we face is that a mag goes to print on say Friday 20 July, it is onsale Wednesday 8 August, and of course all the live reviews are 2-3 weeks out of date at best (even worse for overseas readers). And in the meantime a bunch of blogs have posted a long review.

With album reviews, there is exactly the same problem, it's rare for us to get something before anyone else (like we did with Enslaved in #227) and of course it's possible for an online reviewer to knock out 1,000 words on the most obscure of releases and of course it is there before the print mag is even manufactured.

What Spin is doing is, of course, playing to its strengths: the authority of the mag enforces the authority and credibility of the online reviews leaving the publication itself to do what blog writers often struggle to achieve, and that is to produce a well-researched, professionally written feature about an artist.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

miranda wrote:
leaving the publication itself to... produce a well-researched, professionally written feature about an artist.

Why doesn't it, then? 'TOP FIVE ARTISTS ON SMACK' et cetera.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:14 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shallowthing wrote:
miranda wrote:
leaving the publication itself to... produce a well-researched, professionally written feature about an artist.

Why doesn't it, then? 'TOP FIVE ARTISTS ON SMACK' et cetera.

That was in the reviews section, so it would never have happened ;)

Seriously, though, drugs are so last century. And anyone who feels they are necessary for creativity is wrong.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:04 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I read Tez because of: HOH, live reviews; retro features; album reviews; genre features etc....

To be honest why not get rid of the 'news' bit - most of that can be found online.

When I go back through back issues I don't re-read the features cause it's usually artist 'x' talking about how great album 'y' is....and nothing more.

It's the reviews etc that stand the test of time...

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:29 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I wonder if having a consistent and engaging style can be more important than the actual content. I know either myself or Gene ALWAYS mention this whenever the topic is raised, but I kept reading Amiga Power long after I got rid of my Amiga (and even after people stopped sending them games to review and they had to fill issues with JFK conspiracy theories and arc-plots about the Four Cyclists of the Apocalypse) because reading it felt like being in on a private joke.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next