www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Issue 239 - King Diamond, Cauldron, Huntress!
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Issue 239 - King Diamond, Cauldron, Huntress! 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Issue 239 - King Diamond, Cauldron, Huntress!
Who are these much better bands? In the case of The Sword I mean?

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:47 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The obvious one without even trying of course would be Sleep.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:51 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Sleep didnt get enough success and acclaim?

I think The Sword got slagged off for virtually no reason except an apparent point-scoring backlash against their success.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:12 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Painkiller wrote:
Cauldron are a bit like The Sword, in that they're perfectly competent and there's nothing really wrong with them, but it's hard to not be resentful that they're getting success and acclaim that much better and more creative bands didn't get by being a watered down repackaging of them.

Unlike The Sword though (or so I hear), the main guy from Cauldron - whatever his name is - REALLY knows his shit about metal, and has been around the block plenty of times. Not that that really matters of course, and doesn't affect how good his band are - I'd far rather listen to The Sword personally, whether they're poseurs or not - but it helps you feel slightly more goodwill towards his band.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:08 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
Cauldron are a bit like The Sword, in that they're perfectly competent and there's nothing really wrong with them, but it's hard to not be resentful that they're getting success and acclaim that much better and more creative bands didn't get by being a watered down repackaging of them.

Unlike The Sword though (or so I hear), the main guy from Cauldron - whatever his name is - REALLY knows his shit about metal, and has been around the block plenty of times. Not that that really matters of course, and doesn't affect how good his band are - I'd far rather listen to The Sword personally, whether they're poseurs or not - but it helps you feel slightly more goodwill towards his band.

Most people in their hometown feel that Jason Decay's original band Goathorn was better but we're mostly happy to see Cauldron thrive. They are amazing live and both bands have been really good for getting pissed to. Goathorn is one of the local bands I've seen the most. Must've gone to at least six of their shows before they broke up. When Jason formed Cauldron it was supposed to be an extension of Goathorn (listen to their EP, Into The Cauldron, those were originally Goathorn songs). But in the end he went for the clean vocals instead of the rough vocals he used in Goathorn and Cauldron turned out to be a more commercial band.

But you're right, Jason is a really cool guy. I've partied with him at shows many times. I've got a few pictures where we wrestled on the street drunk. Like the band or not, I'm really happy for his success. I know it was his dream and his complete ambition to get this far. Makes me happy every time I see Cauldron featured in Terrorizer.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:50 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Reverend Jim wrote:
Sleep didnt get enough success and acclaim?

I think The Sword got slagged off for virtually no reason except an apparent point-scoring backlash against their success.

I was on the Hellride forums at the time The Sword came into prominence and there was a lot of [partly justified] paranoia that commercial forces were going to water down the true doom scene for mass consumption, and that the scene was going to be somehow taken away from people who cared about it and pushed into the mass-marketing world [i.e. taken, rinsed for lots of cash, then dumped for the next trend] and that the scene would be flooded with ironic hipster doom fans and not real ones - some years on it's pretty clear that such a move hasn't happened to anywhere near the same extent as people feared it might do, at least that's the impression I got anyway.

I could understand where the anti-Sword brigade were coming from, having spent lots of time and energy devoting themselves to their passion, but there was a fair bit of 'it's our exclusive club' mentality there too. The whole debate got way out of hand.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:37 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Boring band, weakening better bands' blueprints and out-selling them. That's always gonna annoy people.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:18 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The fact that people in England are talking about Cauldron proves their success. Like I said, they were once just a bar band in Toronto. They did something right.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:49 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Green Man wrote:
The fact that people in England are talking about Cauldron proves their success. Like I said, they were once just a bar band in Toronto. They did something right.

No-one's doubting their current commercial success, Green - it's their musical quality that's in question.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:38 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

It's not even commercial success, really, they just signed to Earache - which still seems to have some minimal clout left in the metal world, despite having not put out a really good LP since approximately 1998.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:45 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Kim Hyoyeon wrote:
People still talk about Hitler, a lot . . .

Yep, and look how famous he is. If he was still alive he could record an album and reel in the royalty checks. People all over the world would be buying it and then bitching about how much they hate it.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:29 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Chantler wrote:
It's not even commercial success, really, they just signed to Earache - which still seems to have some minimal clout left in the metal world, despite having not put out a really good LP since approximately March 1998.

Teehee

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:37 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Chantler wrote:
It's not even commercial success, really, they just signed to Earache - which still seems to have some minimal clout left in the metal world, despite having not put out a really good LP since approximately 1998.

Akercocke? (Yes, I know nearly everyone on here hates them)

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2