www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Big 200
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Big 200 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post The Big 200
In before someone else, but I've managed to read issue 200 already (i skipped the slayer sick sounds section).

So far be it for me to complain, but reaching 200 issues is a fucking milestone. I remember when Tez launched after the ill fated Thrash n Burn and Xtreme Noise, part of me wondered how long the magazine would last. Now, 17 years on and 200 issues down the line surely this would have been an opportunity to really make something of it.

Whilst I like the slow build of 200 top albums (over 3 issues though???) surely Tez could have done a retrospective over the years - the highs, the mistakes, the bands trumpeted from the beginning. Exclusives etc. Maybe got old editors to comment on their era, or the influence the magazine has had on today's artists. There's a lot of people reading the mag now who have no idea of the history of Tez and if you don't use the 200th issue then when will you?

All in all I felt it was a bit of a disservice, especially compared to when HHC reached a milestone (can't remember what number) and did a brilliant issue.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:26 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: The Big 200
The HHC 15th anniversary issue was superb.

Presumably they'll have "Terrorizer's Secret History of... Terrorizer!" for that K'n'R?

Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:20 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I don't think they will. Maybe we were spoilt by the HHC issue but considering the front cover of Tez made a big splash about it being their 200th issue the contents were very disappointing.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:23 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

They should've brought Tom Waits in as the guest editor.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I thought the Big 200 article was shit, I'd rather see all the albums together and either in order of preference or chronological order; having people from other bands comment on the albums is a nce idea and must have taken a lot of time, but some of the contributions are dull or just plain shit.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:22 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

i guess this means sick sounds has kicked the bucket? unsurprising. and yes, it is a quite rubbish retrospective thing, and yet another excuse to fill space with a 'must-have albums' thing. nice advertorial for hellfest (who sponsors that again?) the best thing in the issue was Avi's review of the Orphaned Land gig.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

In the early 2000s Q magazine had some sort of top something or other list every month for years - top 100 albums, top 50 British albums, top 50 music videos, top 1001 tracks YOU HAVE TOO DOWNLOAD. I hope Tegs doesn't go down that route.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:24 am
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
I thought the Big 200 article was shit, I'd rather see all the albums together and either in order of preference or chronological order; having people from other bands comment on the albums is a nce idea and must have taken a lot of time, but some of the contributions are dull or just plain shit.

And it is exactly what Metal Hammer did a couple of months ago.Shite.
I've got the 100th issue upstairs in the cupboard somewhere,and I'm sure it was a lot better than this.I'm sure they did a retrospective of the preceding 99 issues that was quite informative,and rather more interesting than yet another "ultimate records toss"

we fall to rise

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

ribbons69 wrote:

And it is exactly what Metal Hammer did a couple of months ago.Shite.
I've got the 100th issue upstairs in the cupboard somewhere,and I'm sure it was a lot better than this.I'm sure they did a retrospective of the preceding 99 issues that was quite informative,and rather more interesting than yet another "ultimate records toss"

Dear, dear, dear me.

I thought she looked like the head of the English department at a high school, though perhaps that says more about the school I went to than her..

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:20 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Quote:
Dear, dear, dear me.

and this means what?

it really is a lame anniversary, sorry miranda but c'mon. i know summer is a quiet time, ideal for some massive look-back but...nothing.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

mgh wrote:
Quote:
Dear, dear, dear me.

and this means what?

it really is a lame anniversary, sorry miranda but c'mon. i know summer is a quiet time, ideal for some massive look-back but...nothing.

Quite. For the first time I haven't renewed my subscription, I found the last 3-4 really bellow par, and "par" has been getting ever lower for a while. To some extent it isn't T's fault, I am a jaded 32 year old who has been reading the mag for 14 years, who isn't greatly inspire by the current extreme music "scene". There is also the fact that I can have found out about a release on here, got feed back from several people and heard the album before T arrives on the doormat.

I don't like to be so negative about the magazine and am genuinely sad that I've fallen out of love with it; but the "40 best riffs" and this recent feature are risible. I may buy issues in the autumn when the releases schedule is a little busier and some of the big hitters drop albums; I may yet renew my subscription, but I doubt it.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:24 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Dee, I think one of the other problems is actually outside Tez's control. The release schedule throughout 2010 has been far quieter than before, for example I usually check dis-order's website for upcoming releases and this year no matter when I check it's been half the length as it was over the last few years. Personally I think the economic downturn is filtering through and labels, even underground ones, are being more cautious as to what they put out.

What this means for Tez is it's harder to fill an issue every four weeks if the volume of releases aren't there, which means less bands to interview and that's why I think we're seeing a bit too much filler.

However, on the flipside, this should have meant tez could have done a really good 200 retrospective, so I've defeated my own argument there.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:23 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I know I harp on about them whenever the subject of magazines comes up, but Amiga Power arguably did some of their best stuff during times when they had absolutely nothing to write about. The Amiga scene was going tits up, half of the publishers that were still making games had blacklisted them and wouldn't send titles for review, and even after being cut in size they still didn't have enough to fill the magazine. Instead of treading water until they were pulled from the shelves they got creative, all but abandoning Amiga games to focus on things like a JFK Conspiracy Special and ridiculous comedy sketches, short stories and in-jokes. Those issues were some of the most creative, ground-breaking and genuinely fun magazines I've ever read, and I stuck with the magazine long after I'd sold my Amiga just for the quality of the writing. I'm not saying that Tez should dump Metal and publish articles about the Illuminati or something ridiculous, more that if you're forced to write filler you might as well have fun with it. I'm sure Horse for one could write some brilliant, irrelevant guff.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:45 pm
I've always been very curious about the real early days of Terrorizer and the demise of Metal Forces/Thrash N Burn - whenever I meet someone who wrote for them it's like getting stopped in the street by someone who claims to know my grandad (or something).

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:54 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Issue 200 has my A Forest Of Stars piece. Good times. Yes! I'm egotistacle and only read stuff I've written. Sepul- who?

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Richie H-R wrote:
I know I harp on about them whenever the subject of magazines comes up, but Amiga Power arguably did some of their best stuff during times when they had absolutely nothing to write about. The Amiga scene was going tits up, half of the publishers that were still making games had blacklisted them and wouldn't send titles for review, and even after being cut in size they still didn't have enough to fill the magazine. Instead of treading water until they were pulled from the shelves they got creative, all but abandoning Amiga games to focus on things like a JFK Conspiracy Special and ridiculous comedy sketches, short stories and in-jokes. Those issues were some of the most creative, ground-breaking and genuinely fun magazines I've ever read, and I stuck with the magazine long after I'd sold my Amiga just for the quality of the writing. I'm not saying that Tez should dump Metal and publish articles about the Illuminati or something ridiculous, more that if you're forced to write filler you might as well have fun with it. I'm sure Horse for one could write some brilliant, irrelevant guff.

Me and RIchie endlessly echo the same sentiment about this but god fuck yes! This is how it should be done.

Unfortunately, it seems that the current roster of journos Tez hire aren't very 'creative' in this respect so it'd collapse on its arse.

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:27 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Jimmy Christ wrote:
I've always been very curious about the real early days of Terrorizer and the demise of Metal Forces/Thrash N Burn - whenever I meet someone who wrote for them it's like getting stopped in the street by someone who claims to know my grandad (or something).

well it was 17 years ago when Tez started, so probably getting onto 19 for Thrash n Burn. I think TnB covered Metallica's black album in their first issue. In those pre-internet days magazines were as vital as the albums themselves.

Right, that's enough about sounding old, how about you or Miranda actually address why you dropped the ball for issue 200?

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

JCC wrote:
The customer is always right.

I totally agree. This is why we have a forum, and why I post on here: we at Terrorizer are nothing without either the artists or you, the readers.

Kaylee and Rosie wrote:
...reaching 200 issues is a fucking milestone.

You know, I never cease to be amazed as each issue makes it into the office. My first one was 105, and so this was number 96 for me. I could write a book about what's happened over the last eight years!

Kaylee and Rosie wrote:
Now, 17 years on and 200 issues down the line surely this would have been an opportunity to really make something of it... Maybe got old editors to comment on their era, or the influence the magazine has had on today's artists. There's a lot of people reading the mag now who have no idea of the history of Tez and if you don't use the 200th issue then when will you?

For a dozen reasons we could not go overboard on this issue, I do so hope when you see the 200 album feature as whole your feelings about this feature will change. When the last part is published, I'll put the whole list on the website with a list over who chose what (if someone reminds me!) and I like the idea of getting some of the former editors together, now that would be something you'd want to be a fly on the wall for(!) but realistically I don't think it is ever going to happen. For the record, though, my door is open to the idea.

Morf wrote:
I might buy this, maybe.

Hmmm. Worryingly, we must have done something right to get this reaction out of Morf.

I thought she looked like the head of the English department at a high school, though perhaps that says more about the school I went to than her..

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Morf wrote:
I like to be told albums i should buy. Then disregard that advice and go waste €15 on the new Saturdays EP.

That's my boy.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:43 pm
Some of the full lists from musicians are pretty interesting in that they accidentally sum up their own band in five or ten albums, so it's worth waiting around for that.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next