www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - MOTORHEAD 'The World Is Yours' review
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 MOTORHEAD 'The World Is Yours' review 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post MOTORHEAD 'The World Is Yours' review
Now then. My MOTORHEAD review in issue 205 was extensively rewritten, for reasons I'm still awaiting. This is what it should have said. Note that this is their 21st studio album, not 20th as it was changed to in the mag. Note also that I didn't say "if you don't know who Sleazy is turn to the Dominion insert for his obituary", nor would I ever in a million years. Ditto the unnecessary and annoying "You know what?" that was appended to the conclusion in the mag. Note also that I didn't say "we're all going to miss them once they hang up their boots for good" as it was changed to in the mag, nor would I ever in a million billion years. Granted it's not exactly the best review I've ever written, but why it was tinkered with so freely without consultation remains a mystery. Fill in your own umlauts.

MOTORHEAD
'The World Is Yours'
MOTORHEAD MUSIC

300 words on the new Motorhead album?! After 35 years and 21 studio albums you only really need one word - MOTORHEAD. We all learnt years ago that there are few pleasures in life as dependable as Motorhead albums. And without wanting to sound morbid, in the wake of losses like Dio and Sleazy (a '70s cop show title to conjure with) it's sobering to realise how much we're all going to miss Motorhead if Lemmy ever dies.

Yes some of their albums have been less essential than others, but that's hardly surprising given their relentless work-rate. None of yer AC/DC-style two-reasonable-albums-per-decade laurel-resting for these boys, their recent form is one scorcher every two years, and this one's no exception. Effortlessly and instantly they exude panache and swagger like no other band. You might think Lemmy's voice is starting to sound its age on the audaciously-titled opener 'Born To Lose', but it sounds great - a metal punk band fronted by a grizzled snarling pensioner works perfectly. Especially on the gnarly sepulchral rumblings of instant 'Head classic 'Brotherhood Of Man', ruthlessly economical shoot-'em-up 'Outlaw' and the embittered biker boogie 'Bye Bye Bitch'. As ever of course Phil Campbell is a class act and Mikkey Dee is a machine, albeit one with an innate sense of fun - and they never get enough credit these two, forever labouring in the shadow of photo shoots from 1981, the limelight always on the Lemster, but these musicians really are a perfect fit.

Sneerers will sneer that this album sounds like all the others. Yeah it does a bit. Thank goodness.

[8.5] CHRIS CHANTLER

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:29 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: MOTORHEAD 'The World Is Yours' review
I want to hear this album.

Chris Chantler wrote:
it's sobering to realise how much we're all going to miss Motorhead if Lemmy ever dies.

Like.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:32 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I'm more interested in why the review has been changed so much.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Wow, I never considered how edited things got. It's only natural I suppose. All part of the business though, isn't it?

Re: the album, I find Mikkey Dee's drumming a bit colourless and mechanical on occasion. The guy is faultless of course but that's the problem sometimes. Solid 3 fist album anyway. Some Motor-corkers on it alright.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:35 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I want to hear this album. I am way too out the loop. The Lemmy movie is good, though, and modern Motorhead have been pretty consistent. Good review, too, Chris; as you were, don't ever change!

Mikkey Dee reminds me of a Labrador.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:20 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Wow, I never considered how edited things got. It's only natural I suppose. All part of the business though, isn't it?

Well I've written for Tegs for nearly eleven years, and I've never had a review interfered with this over-zealously - in fact for most of that decade what I wrote is exactly what got printed, any editorial interjections (eg "if you don't know who Sleazy is") was clearly attributed to Da/Thee Ed. On the one occasion an editor wanted me to tweak a piece, he sent it back explaining what the problem was, I touched it up, and it was fine.

I can take proper editing, of course, but my word count was exact, and if clarity was the problem the edits made the review less comprehensible, not more. it's mostly personal stylistic devices that have been removed or replaced - the cloying "hang up their boots" euphemism, the addition of "You know what?" (aargh!), and in my DARKTHRONE review the phrase "slow ones" has mystifyingly been changed to "slow 'uns". It's like someone thinks they know the tone of my writing better than I do. I sent an e-mail querying these changes two weeks ago, no explanation yet. It's not a big deal, obviously, just it had my name on the end and it's not what I wrote and parts of it are wrong and badly patched up with someone else's writing which doesn't fit mine very well.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Jon Horse wrote:
Good review, too, Chris; as you were, don't ever change!

Aww, norrr... Boh!

Quote:

Cross between a Labrador and an octopus! A Labradoctopus?

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:38 pm
Weird that such a straightforward review was tinkered with? Very unusual... good luck with the explanation mate, hope it shed's some light!

I remember my Morbid Angel interview in 2000 had some random tweaks in it, though nothing else I submitted ever did, - including a heading - "Steve Tucker - A God Amongst Men" that got editted (and I checked my original copy and it wasn't a typo) to "A Sod Amongst Men"...

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:40 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

XIII wrote:
I remember my Morbid Angel interview in 2000 had some random tweaks in it, though nothing else I submitted ever did, - including a heading - "Steve Tucker - A God Amongst Men" that got editted (and I checked my original copy and it wasn't a typo) to "A Sod Amongst Men"...

I remember that! Didn't Steve's people kick off about it and an apology had to be printed and all that? I presume it was a subbing joke that ended up in the mag by mistake...

Oh there was a one-off Selzer edit that annoyed me - I slagged off an Anthrax Best Of just after Joey rejoined, saying they'd reformed "without overmuch public demand". In the mag that got changed to "without much public demand". There is a crucial difference between 'overmuch' and 'much' and I wondered why, as the distinction is important, the word had been changed. I still wonder.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:51 pm
Aye, caused a bit of a political shitstorm all round with Earache and Morbid if I remember right, as did a couple of other edits that got done to the piece, just turning lines where I'd been diplomatic (we all knew it was a shit Morbid album and i didn't pull punches, there's just ways of putting things...) into the wrong side of insulting... I remember Catherine Yates phoning me to apologize for any problems but after that Tucker wouldn't return my call and didn't respond to emails.

It was my swansong piece as well, my last article, and with a guy I got on really well with prior to that

But, odd, cos I know they don't normally edit things (though, obviously I don't know the current regime and if it's a newer habit?) - you got any idea as to why it may have been done? If you were a newbie, or it made a lot more sense to do it, I could understand, but T's normally good at letting the writers have their own voices?!

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:01 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Jon Horse wrote:

He's clearly the bastard son of Ric Flair and Jaz Coleman.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:56 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I honestly don't understand why it was edited. In terms of content, quality and word count there is no conceivable reason for it to be tinkered with. I'd like to know why personally.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:12 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

______ wrote:
Fucking bang out of order if you ask me.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:24 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Yes, familiarising the language, changing one to "un", sticking in "y'know", seems irksome alright.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:43 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Good job I never read it then.
Spider Plants > Motorhead

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I see "un" was in your Panzerfaust review as well, Chris. Yours?

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:14 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

No indeed, as I said in an earlier post the phrase 'ones' was randomly changed to 'uns' in my 'Panzerfaust' review. The first sentence in that one has been mucked about with as well, hence its unwieldy clunkiness.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:35 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

given you get so fucking little in the mag these days...not on. even the while heaven wept r/v was so short as to barely be worth it...i dunno, you'll be reviewing by Twitter soon...

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Chris Chantler wrote:
No indeed, as I said in an earlier post the phrase 'ones' was randomly changed to 'uns' in my 'Panzerfaust' review. The first sentence in that one has been mucked about with as well, hence its unwieldy clunkiness.

did you "have a word" with the powers that be? any luck on a response?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:50 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I did send an e-mail listing these concerns and asking what the problem was nearly 3 weeks ago, but to be fair the new editorial team have been very busy tweeting about Glee. And yeah, the WHW review was shortened, despite being exactly the number of words requested in the commission!

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next