www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 4505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223 ... 226  Next
 Film Thread VI 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Film Thread VI
Still not a movie.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Better than the new film though tbf.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

I concur. I don't know what all the hype was about, it was average at best.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I've pretty much given up on DC ever making a good film in this DCEU thing.
They used to know how to do a good Batman film and that's about it.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

I didn't mind the two previous, despite the inevitable CGI fuckathon third acts. Neither was exceptional but I enjoyed both more than WW.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:45 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I thought IT (2017) was superb: Great characters, some genuine, deliberate laughs, good goose-bump-inducing scare scenes.

Overall, I'd say it's a huge cut above your average current crop of horror films. I'm looking forward to the second part.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:01 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Alien: Covenant.

More Xenomorph chaos and less pretentious crap would have been nice...

Three Fists.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I'll do the fingering.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
I'll do the fingering.

My missus cracked up at that unfortunate line...

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I had a bad feeling about this sequel when I heard that actor Jay Baruchel was going to take over directorial duties from Drowse, who dropped out for some unknown reason. With that in mind, the sequel isn't overly disappointing because I wasn't expecting much to begin with, but I still held out hope. Predictably, it doesn't come close to the original. It isn't particularly funny, and the fight scenes, while bloodier, don't have the same bone crunching intensity. There are far too many characters and subplots that aren't developed properly, and this overly fussy approach gets in the way of the potential fun.

Most of the original cast return, but they just aren't as lively, mostly due to mediocre writing. Liev Schreiber returns as Ray, and he is decent, but it seems like he is playing a different character for at least half the film. He comes alive in the final showdown, but he isn't nearly as ferocious and 'cool' as he was in the original, and Glatt's new rival is just a spoiled rich kid that throws massive temper tantrums. There is nothing interesting about him. He is not a worthy successor to Schreiber's character, who is now friendly with Glatt.

Goon (2011) had clear but simple goals. It was a relatively straight forward underdog sports pic about a slightly unusual subject that went for crowd pleasing thrills in the crudest and most violent way possible for a comedy. Goon 2 tries too hard to replicate its vibe while adding in a bunch of pointless stuff that really goes nowhere.

It's perfectly watchable of course, but you really have to be a fan of the first film to get anything out of it.

5/10

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:11 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Transformers 5: The Last Shite.

Zero Fists.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:36 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Baby Driver

SPOILER IN TINY WRITING

A teenage getaway driver with tinnitus and an iPod falls in love and tries to leave his life of crime.

Directed by Edgar (Shaun of the Dead) Wright, presumably after binge-reading the Big Book of Quentin Tarantino (illustrations and foreword by Michael Bay), this absolute nonsense of a film amounts to nothing more than flashy photography, COOL TUNES, and nearly two hours of my life wasted.

Right from the opening ten minutes, it's clear that Wright does not give one single fuck about credibile characters or a decent story and is just out to deliver car chases and loud noises. Crime boss Kevin Spacey goes through the motions with barely a raised eyebrow, John (The Punisher) Bernthal sits among the top billed stars but only gets about ten minutes of screen time and spends most of that just sneering. Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers plays a baddie for some reason, CGI blood explodes from CGI gunshot wounds whenever the story(?) stalls, and there's even a back story for Baby which, although returning to it repeatedly, still somehow manages to shed absolutely no light on Baby's motivation for becoming a getaway driver in any way. It's like Wright is deliberately sticking a middle finger up to anyone requiring the film to make any kind of sense at all. A point further driven home with the cassette tapes side-story which amounts to the grand total of absolutely fuck all.

On top of all that, Baby's girlfriend is startlingly apathetic about her new fella's outbursts of extreme violence as he shoots people at point blank range in front of her. It's all fine though because apparently maiming and murdering is fine if you have a heart of gold.

Almost managing to salvage a plus point, the film does pull a nice switcheroo at the end, with Baby being arrested. Ha! No romantic eloping for you, Baby.
No, but wait. It turns out all all the people who saw him involved in murders and robbery are now also vouching for his heart of gold, and he leaves the prison a remarkably short time inside after getting sent down for twenty-five years. Even with the whole "five years before parole" thing, it still looks like he hasn't aged a day as he crosses the road into the welcoming arms of his also non-aged girlfriend. And if that section is just a dream? Well, then it can just fuck off forever because that's even worse.

Confused as to which character should be the main baddie, crammed with story threads that go nowhere, and needlessly repeating the content of flashbacks in expositional dialogue, Baby Driver is also another one of those films that hides the fact it has absolutely nothing to say behind fancy camera angles and a relentlessly ADHD soundtrack of COOL TUNES. Yes, I get it. He listens to music. Unfortunately, the only sound I could hear was one of cash registers collecting the money for the accompanying soundtrack album.

With the amount of love shown for this film seemingly across the board, it's clear I've missed the point somewhere. But I'm really not sure what that point is. Paper-thin, unlikable characters, a non-existent story, and a never-ending succession of COOL TUNES, Baby Driver is shallow, superficial, vacuous drivel clearly aimed at a target audience that is not me.

1 Middle Finger.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Spiny Norman wrote:
Baby Driver

SPOILER IN TINY WRITING

A teenage getaway driver with tinnitus and an iPod falls in love and tries to leave his life of crime.

Directed by Edgar (Shaun of the Dead) Wright, presumably after binge-reading the Big Book of Quentin Tarantino (illustrations and foreword by Michael Bay), this absolute nonsense of a film amounts to nothing more than flashy photography, COOL TUNES, and nearly two hours of my life wasted.

Right from the opening ten minutes, it's clear that Wright does not give one single fuck about credibile characters or a decent story and is just out to deliver car chases and loud noises. Crime boss Kevin Spacey goes through the motions with barely a raised eyebrow, John (The Punisher) Bernthal sits among the top billed stars but only gets about ten minutes of screen time and spends most of that just sneering. Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers plays a baddie for some reason, CGI blood explodes from CGI gunshot wounds whenever the story(?) stalls, and there's even a back story for Baby which, although returning to it repeatedly, still somehow manages to shed absolutely no light on Baby's motivation for becoming a getaway driver in any way. It's like Wright is deliberately sticking a middle finger up to anyone requiring the film to make any kind of sense at all. A point further driven home with the cassette tapes side-story which amounts to the grand total of absolutely fuck all.

On top of all that, Baby's girlfriend is startlingly apathetic about her new fella's outbursts of extreme violence as he shoots people at point blank range in front of her. It's all fine though because apparently maiming and murdering is fine if you have a heart of gold.

Almost managing to salvage a plus point, the film does pull a nice switcheroo at the end, with Baby being arrested. Ha! No romantic eloping for you, Baby.
No, but wait. It turns out all all the people who saw him involved in murders and robbery are now also vouching for his heart of gold, and he leaves the prison a remarkably short time inside after getting sent down for twenty-five years. Even with the whole "five years before parole" thing, it still looks like he hasn't aged a day as he crosses the road into the welcoming arms of his also non-aged girlfriend. And if that section is just a dream? Well, then it can just fuck off forever because that's even worse.

Confused as to which character should be the main baddie, crammed with story threads that go nowhere, and needlessly repeating the content of flashbacks in expositional dialogue, Baby Driver is also another one of those films that hides the fact it has absolutely nothing to say behind fancy camera angles and a relentlessly ADHD soundtrack of COOL TUNES. Yes, I get it. He listens to music. Unfortunately, the only sound I could hear was one of cash registers collecting the money for the accompanying soundtrack album.

With the amount of love shown for this film seemingly across the board, it's clear I've missed the point somewhere. But I'm really not sure what that point is. Paper-thin, unlikable characters, a non-existent story, and a never-ending succession of COOL TUNES, Baby Driver is shallow, superficial, vacuous drivel clearly aimed at a target audience that is not me.

1 Middle Finger.

I haven't seen it but everything I have read about it suggests it is Grade A Hipster fodder, designed for people with over-inflated egos to muse over in their Shoreditch real ale pubs, dissing anyone who doesn't like it as "not understanding it" whilst guffawing into their Brewdog. As such, I really have no interest in seeing it.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:54 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

You have to admit the bit with Hocus Pocus as the soundtrack is a very neat piece of film making / music synchronisation.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:52 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I watched the DVD of Hell Or High Water this evening. A year on from when it was first released and it still holds up brilliantly. Easily one of the best films of the decade.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
You have to admit the bit with Hocus Pocus as the soundtrack is a very neat piece of film making / music synchronisation.

Syncing the music to the action seemed to be the main thing Wright tried to do in BD, and yes, that was probably the best example. But unfortunately, no matter how desperately hard he tries, he will never beat the Don't Stop Me Now scene in Shaun of the Dead.

And besides, Hocus Pocus is such a cool fucking track that it could sync with almost anything.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Spiny Norman wrote:
Baby Driver

A non-existent story, and a never-ending succession of COOL TUNES, Baby Driver is shallow, superficial, vacuous drivel clearly aimed at a target audience that is not me......

1 Middle Finger.

YES!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:

COOL TUNES

COOL TUNES

I don't remember there being any "cool tunes" though.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:10 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Heh @ one middle finger.

As I've said before, it looks like a film made for a particular type of young person. I'm well outside of that demographic, and chances are I wouldn't have even liked it if I was 20.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:06 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

The film also lies, the driver is a near adult male.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223 ... 226  Next