www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4560 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228  Next
 Film Thread VI 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Film Thread VI
That was Orion & MGM, if memory serves. Complications straight away.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:21 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

In this week's episode of Oh For Fuck's Sake:

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Jaysus.

7 shades of shite.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:12 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:

Rampage. As in the 1982 videogame where King Kong, Godzilla, and a giant werewolf bash the shit out of buildings. Double fuck's sake. Love playing it with my grandson, but you can't make a fucking movie out of it.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:06 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Since last post I've done

Tenebrae
Runaway Train
The Cat O' Ninetails
Prime Risk
The Wages of Fear
The Death Of Stalin
Orpheus
Paddington 2
Four Flies on Grey Velvet
Blade Runner 2049
The Lost Weekend
The Handmaiden
Forbidden games

Not a bad little run for the most part.

I put together an Argento ranked list, and plan on doing a few more of his. Turns out I really quite like his stuff. I've got The Bird With The Crystal Plumage coming in the post too, as Arrow had a warehouse clearance sale on so picked it up for £2.99.
https://letterboxd.com/nslater90/list/d ... to-ranked/

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Sudden Death 3.5/5

Under Siege 3/5

Sudden Death better than Under Siege? Yes. It looks better and has a sense of scale lacking from U.S. i'd say it's probably the best Die Hard clone along with Speed.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:51 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Vim Fuego wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Rampage. As in the 1982 videogame where King Kong, Godzilla, and a giant werewolf bash the shit out of buildings. Double fuck's sake. Love playing it with my grandson, but you can't make a fucking movie out of it.

Seems you can.

Besides, The Rock, a giant gorilla, a giant wolf, a giant crocodile, and Negan from The Walking Dead playing Negan from The Walking Dead but in a suit. What's not to like?

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

1/5. Stick to Porky's, Animal House and even Revenge Of The Nerds...

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:22 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

It's better than Porky's.

It's really a different kind of film to those 3 though

Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:39 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^^
That, except I maybe like Porky's a little more.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:

I thought that it would be a teen-sex comedy given the movie title, but it was very thin on laughs. Was more like a coming-of-age drama.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:07 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Triggmartyr wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:

I thought that it would be a teen-sex comedy given the movie title, but it was very thin on laughs. Was more like a coming-of-age drama.

Maybe that's the problem. I'm obviously coming at this with the benefit of hindsight given it predates me, but I was always under the impression it was a coming of age/comedy.

It seems to be significant in that it spearheaded an entire wave of teen films for teens, not just about them. I can't think of many films before that with the same attitude and informality in the script that depicts teens. Perhaps Over The Edge? Stuff like Porkeys is definitely more mature and aimed at a much more college age and above demographic.

It probably also helps that Cameron Crowe's career took of in the way it did given that's basically where it all started for him.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

If kids these days REALLY are like how they're portrayed here, then I weep for the future.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:07 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Watched Spider-Man: Homecoming the other night. Meh. It's the best Spider-Man movie to date but that bar was set low from the get-go. 3/5, maybe.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Porky's is overrated as hell.

Screwballs > Porky's.

On the subject of overrated films: Dressed To Kill. What the hell is the big deal here? It's just a chintzy and slow moving rip off of Hitchcock and Argento. There are some good scenes but overall it's ridiculously overpraised
Carrie and Blow Out smoke it. 2.5/5

End of Days: nowhere near Arnie's worst film, but he was miscast. The atmosphere is fantastic, but the script is dogshit. Has its moments though, and you gotta love when Arnie shouts at the devil "You're a fucking choirboy compared to me! A choirboy" :lol: 2.5/5. Maybe a 3 if I'm feeling generous.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:47 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Cutest film ever:

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:54 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
Vim Fuego wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Seems you can.

Besides, The Rock, a giant gorilla, a giant wolf, a giant crocodile, and Negan from The Walking Dead playing Negan from The Walking Dead but in a suit. What's not to like?

The Rock, a giant gorilla, a giant wolf, and a giant crocodile. :P I don't know who or what Negan from The Walking Dead is, because I've never seen The Walking Dead.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The Walking Dead is basically the same thing each season. Set up camp, scavenge for stuff, fight zombies, fight humans we don't get on with, big season finale. All with a bit of drama thrown in. Negan is the latest protagonist and, to be fair, he's the best one since The Governor. This season has been different in that they've upped the action a bit, but still not on par with earlier seasons.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:35 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Paris Chrome wrote:

If kids these days REALLY are like how they're portrayed here, then I weep for the future.

Seems like Anni's kind of film.

The problem I have with these kind of more 'serious' youth films is that they are generally made by people who are much older, mostly by necessity (the director of this film is in her mid 30s), so we end up with rather conventional sign post moments (oh this is the realisation moment, the growth moment) when in reality the significance of these moments is really only understood in hindsight. These films rarely capture the flux of youth, the feeling of living from moment to moment which defines the experience. The only directors who have came close to capturing that are Larry Clark (Kids), Linklater (Dazed and Confused) and Gus Van Sant (Paranoid Park and maybe Elephant). What do these films have in common? Episodic or non-linear narratives. That is the key.

Anyway, the end result of these 'serious youth films' invariably tends to be a kind of middle aged revisionism (oh I was that smart and self aware kid then!) or projection which exaggerates how self aware kids are. Thats what I hated about Juno.

A film like Superbad, in my view, captured the experience of youth far better than most 'serious' films about young people.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Yeah. I have Superbad on blu ray.

For me it perfectly captures that fleeting "friends / not friends anymore" experience that one has about 20 times before they turn 18 - if nothing else.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 4560 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228  Next