www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Now Reading
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 6151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 308  Next
 Now Reading 
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Post Re: Now Reading
Solaris wrote:
Robert Harris: Pompeii. It's decent, not a patch on Imperium (the only other book of his I've read). Recently read Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy, and enjoyed them immensely. Looking forward to seeing the films.

Lustrum (the follow up to Imperium) is great, probably my favourite of his that I've read. I read the first of the Millenium Trilogy, and while I enjoyed it, I was a bit thrown by my most well read and pompous friend having inexplicably given me the impression it was one of the best novels ever written.

Currently reading A Clash Of Kings by George R R Martin. I managed to read a couple of other books after I finished A Game Of Thrones, but as I got the rest of the series for my birthday it's going to be a huge challenge not to just blaze through the rest in quick succession.

Wed May 05, 2010 10:09 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis ,Bret must be one strange man.

Wed May 05, 2010 10:12 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Myrddyn wrote:
Zagreus wrote:
Yeah, that title would put me off straight away. The whole development from a supposed historical man to the deity of Constantine is fascinating, so trying to debunk it just boring. I recently finished 'Who Wrote the New Testament', and the author got it the right side of readable academia right up until the last couple of chapters when he started inferring his own views. If you're a fucking professor of theology, then I want you to teach me some religious history and theology I don't know, I don't care what your views are!

I'm out of my depth here with two RE teachers, but I hought there was scant evidence for him as a historical figure and that he was most likely a patchwork of existing ideas or mythologies?

Hence "supposed" historical man, I suppose. It's not really much of a leap to posit a historical Jesus, there were a number of groups and people doing things similar to those attributed to Jesus (minus the magic stuff, of course). The nature of how records were kept in that time and place, even despite the Roman presence, means that pinning it down to a single man is probably never going to happen, but that's not really the important part, and it's possible for historians to meaningfully speculate on what a "historical Jesus" would have been like. To be honest, I always slept through lectures on that kind of thing at Uni - it was the magic and mystical stuff that I was into, not drab accounts of Roman Israel. I bet you're really surprised.

Last edited by Painkiller on Wed May 05, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 05, 2010 10:38 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Finished I,Lucifer a few days ago, probably going to start on 120 Days of Sodom when I can be bothered to wade through the long-winded essay annalysing Marquis De Sade's "Psychology" and personality at the beginning, because I really don't care for people trying to justify his novel/fetishes, it's a work of fiction and should be treated as such.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:22 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

120 Days of Sodom is unreadably dull, it's only famous because of his notoriety.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:42 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting. But I'm gonna try it anyway.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:47 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Benj wrote:
Lustrum (the follow up to Imperium) is great, probably my favourite of his that I've read.

Just waiting for the regular size paperback.
Benj wrote:
I read the first of the Millenium Trilogy, and while I enjoyed it, I was a bit thrown by my most well read and pompous friend having inexplicably given me the impression it was one of the best novels ever written.

Yeah, I got a similar recommendation from a barman in my local. They were all good IMO, but not quite at that level. It's worth reading the other 2, but get them both together as the second ends on a cliffhanger.

Wed May 05, 2010 4:34 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

lawnchair wrote:
Fhil wrote:
joni mitchell has this to say about bob dylan:

"Bob is not authentic at all. He's a plagarist, and his name and voice are fake. Everything about Bob is a deception. We are like night and day, he and I."

then she said this about madonna:

"Americans have decided to be stupid and shallow since 1980. Madonna is like Nero, she marks the turning point."

and finally hendrix:

"Jimi was the sweetest guy."

naturally i am repeating this becuase all three of these remarks please me

Did she say these things before or after she signed to the record label run by Starbucks? Evryone knows Bob Dylan ripped off various singers' versions of songs for his first few albums, but show me who he copied for "Like a Rolling Stone". (NB Im just being argumentative; Joni Mitchell is fantastic.)

Currently reading 'Guns, Germs and Steel' by Jared Diamond, which examines disease, technology, geography, the locations of various different animal species, languages and plenty of other things besides to explain why certain societies inevitably have an advantage over others when it comes to conquering them. Basically, it's about why Europeans could easily defeat Aborigines and steal their land, not the other way round. It's hugely interesting, even if the author is prone to a little bragging now and then.

Wed May 05, 2010 4:50 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Richie H-R wrote:
/\/\/\ This, basically. Just about to start Phillip Pullman's "The Good Man Jesus and The Scoundrel Christ", which I only have because a friend bought it for me. Looking forward to it, but a bit worried that it's going to suffer from Dawkins' Syndrome - which is when a previously enjoyable writer/lecturer/whatever who'd skilfully worked his atheism into his work decides to focus entirely on disproving God, and turns shit.

I saw a review of that, it didn't encourage me to read it. Not an original central idea anyway, as I'm sure you know, though I've forgotten the name of the other book(s) that did that first.

Wed May 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

First couple of chapters seem to confirm the worst, but I'm going to stick with it. Pullman's His Dark Materials is one of the best kids' series to focus openly on religious and spiritual issues, I owe him this one.

Wed May 05, 2010 4:58 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

regarding joni and bob - apparently she was referring to some incident with a recent (ish?) album in which he blatantly plagarised the poetry of some person who is dead and i have lost the article and cant remember who just now, but it wasnt a line or two, i understood from what i read that it was the concept of the entire album and he used this man's poetry rather extensively with no acknowledgement whatsoever that he had not written it

of course anyone interested could google this.....i think my own interest waned otherwise i would have his name here for you - i just love it when people diss bob so i had to repeat it

Wed May 05, 2010 5:47 pm
Can we have a book club again? I won't disappear after the first book this time.

Wed May 05, 2010 5:52 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

It's been pretty much a year since our last attempt, so I'd be up for trying it again. Someone slightly more organised than me should take charge this time, though. I nominate Ed_B.

Wed May 05, 2010 6:14 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

lawnchair wrote:
regarding joni and bob - apparently she was referring to some incident with a recent (ish?) album in which he blatantly plagarised the poetry of some person who is dead and i have lost the article and cant remember who just now, but it wasnt a line or two, i understood from what i read that it was the concept of the entire album and he used this man's poetry rather extensively with no acknowledgement whatsoever that he had not written it

of course anyone interested could google this.....i think my own interest waned otherwise i would have his name here for you - i just love it when people diss bob so i had to repeat it

His album Modern Times is entirely based on folk/other people's songs, and he claims writing credit for all of them. A bit mean, but loads of people have been doing it since, well, since recorded music began.

Thanks for the vote of confidence HR, but I'm not joining the book club - I couldn't get the books out of the library here, and once I'm back at university I'll have way too much to read to want to do the book club too. Sorry!

Wed May 05, 2010 6:22 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Richie H-R wrote:
Myrddyn wrote:

I'm out of my depth here with two RE teachers, but I hought there was scant evidence for him as a historical figure and that he was most likely a patchwork of existing ideas or mythologies?

Hence "supposed" historical man, I suppose. It's not really much of a leap to posit a historical Jesus, there were a number of groups and people doing things similar to those attributed to Jesus (minus the magic stuff, of course). The nature of how records were kept in that time and place, even despite the Roman presence, means that pinning it down to a single man is probably never going to happen, but that's not really the important part, and it's possible for historians to meaningfully speculate on what a "historical Jesus" would have been like. To be honest, I always slept through lectures on that kind of thing at Uni - it was the magic and mystical stuff that I was into, not drab accounts of Roman Israel. I bet you're really surprised.

Don't even get me started! I'm really interested in this issue, and have bored people on the internet about it! I'm worse in real life as you can't just press 'off'. Stuff like Zeitgeist has caused a lot of sloppy assumptions. I managed to get a guy who really, really knows his shit into a conversation on a forum about this, and learnt a lot, as well as starting to de-bunk some of the popular ideas (Isis being a virgin for one. If you can get me a quote of that pre-Victorian then I'll be grateful). I started having a similar conversation with another guy who I don't think has really looked that closely at the amalgamation of other deities idea, but haven't got around to carrying it on. Anyway, I'll only continue if someone gives a shit.

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.

Wed May 05, 2010 6:40 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I'm interested Zag, I won't be able to contribute much and bare in mind I'm a lay man.

Wed May 05, 2010 6:43 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I once got horribly pissed at a house-party and talked so much about the archetype of the rebel in mythology that the person I was talking to went home. That didn't make me feel good when I sobered up enough to realise.

Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I would if we were having a conversation, but on the Internet if often ends up just like reading an article. Next board meet though, we'll bore everyone else to tears!

Jesus as an almagamation of other deities? Sounds interesting, but how so - isn't he (He) rather different from any other religious figure before him (in terms of his teachings anyway)? What's Isis got to do with it?

Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Richie H-R wrote:
I once got horribly pissed at a house-party and talked so much about the archetype of the rebel in mythology that the person I was talking to went home. That didn't make me feel good when I sobered up enough to realise.

I was once on the wrong end of a friend of a friend sitting next to me and talking drunkenly for an hour about the socio-political undertones of the films of Spike Lee.

Wed May 05, 2010 6:50 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Steve wrote:
Richie H-R wrote:

I was once on the wrong end of a friend of a friend sitting next to me and talking drunkenly for an hour about the socio-political undertones of the films of Spike Lee.

In one sentence: I hate white people.

Wed May 05, 2010 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 308  Next