www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Today is St George's day!
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Today is St George's day! 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Today is St George's day!
Of course, pointing this out practically marks you out as a member of the BNP these days.

It's okay for the Welsh, Scots and Irish but flying the English flag is tantamount to putting a sheet over your head.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:00 am
Post Re: Today is St George's day!
No, pointing it out doesn't make you a member of the BNP, being a racist idiot makes you a member of the BNP.

Happy St George's Day, and lets all bask in the multicultural glory of St George - a Greek soldier picked to be patron saint by a king who spoke only French - and therefore England! Hurrah!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:03 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Catholic countries celebrate their patron saints' days, MM. Proddie countries (Engerland for example) don't generally. Now settle down and drop the Daily Mail-isms.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I just don't get why we English are always represented by the Union Flag and yet Scots, Welsh and Irish are proud of their own flags. I'm not having a go at the Scots, Irish and Welsh.... I just don't get it.

St Patricks day is a bigger deal in England than St George's day.

How is that right?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:10 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Who is St. George?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

MALIBUMAN wrote:
St Patricks day is a bigger deal in England than St George's day. How is that right?

Because Guinness have an excellent marketing devision.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:16 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Catholic countries celebrate their patron saints' days, MM. Proddie countries (Engerland for example) don't generally. Now settle down and drop the Daily Mail-isms.

There you go, right there, you've made my point for me.
No one can say 'I'm proud to be English' without someone going 'Daily Mail reader!!!'

Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Shallowthing wrote:
MALIBUMAN wrote:
St Patricks day is a bigger deal in England than St George's day. How is that right?

Because Guinness have an excellent marketing devision.

That about sums it up.

Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Is anyone actually proud of being English? I'm not. I can't think of one good thing about being English. Apart from a traditional sunday dinner, oh and an English breakfast!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

MALIBUMAN wrote:
I just don't get why we English are always represented by the Union Flag and yet Scots, Welsh and Irish are proud of their own flags. I'm not having a go at the Scots, Irish and Welsh.... I just don't get it.

How is that right?

The Irish have their own flag because they have been an independent country since since 1921. Wales is not represented on the Union Flag because St David's Cross:

is not part of the Union Flag (it comprises of St Andrew's, St Patrick's and St George's crosses). I can't speak for the Scottish but Welsh people use The Dragon because we are defining ourselves as a marginalised minority within the UK, the Union Flag as you said represents the whole UK and not England specifically, but I've heard English people refer to the Union Flag as an English flag. Many Northern Irish Protestants would cheerfully wave the Union Flag.

As we've discussed at tedious length before, Britishness and Englishness are virtually synonymous and Englishness, usually South Eastern Englishness is used to represent and define the UK as a whole throughout culture and media, the Welsh and Scottish have to make do with being the other within the UK.

Edit - Also, to my knowledge, the Welsh, Scottish and Irish flags are not generally used as symbols of racial hatred the way, St George's Cross often are. Welsh racists mercifully use the Union Flag and leave The Dragon alone.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:30 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Myrddyn wrote:
MALIBUMAN wrote:

How is that right?

The Irish have their own flag because they have been an independent country since since 1921. Wales is not represented on the Union Flag because St David's Cross:

is not part of the Union Flag (it comprises of St Andrew's, St Patrick's and St George's crosses). I can't speak for the Scottish but Welsh people use The Dragon because we are defining ourselves as a marginalised minority within the UK, the Union Flag as you said represents the whole UK and not England specifically, but I've heard English people refer to the Union Flag as an English flag. Many Northern Irish Protestants would cheerfully wave the Union Flag.

As we've discussed at tedious length before, Britishness and Englishness are virtually synonymous and Englishness, usually South Eastern Englishness is used to represent and define the UK as a whole throughout culture and media, the Welsh and Scottish have to make do with being the other within the UK.

Edit - Also, to my knowledge, the Welsh, Scottish and Irish flags are not generally used as symbols of racial hatred the way, St George's Cross often are. Welsh racists mercifully use the Union Flag and leave The Dragon alone.

Well that's a good point you make about the Welsh flag not being part of the Union Flag. Indeed if you put English Flag in Google you get about 10-1 Union Flags. It seems to me that the George Flag is more synonomous with football than anything else.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:39 am
I am proud of both being English and British, because these are facts - just as I'm proud of the bits of me that I recognise as being Northern and the bits that are London, and the bits that are Dutch, the bits that are Methodist and the bits that are Catholic. The whole defines me, not one flag or slogan and I'd feel dishonest suddenly waving one or spouting one.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:44 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

St David's Day in Wales is possibly more celebrated then St George's Day in England, but not much. St Patrick's Day is massive I suppose becuase of the large amounts of Irish diaspora around the world, including England. As Shallowthing said it also has the weight of the Guiness brewery behind it. For many people participating it has nothing to do with Irishness, it's just become an excuse to get pissed. If someone with enough clout turned the other Saint's days into piss ups, they'd be as big.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:45 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

MALIBUMAN wrote:

There you go, right there, you've made my point for me.
No one can say 'I'm proud to be English' without someone going 'Daily Mail reader!!!'

Re-read your whinging op MM. You didn't say "I'm proud to be English". You whinged about other nationalities and immediately played victim.

MALIBUMAN wrote:

How is that right?

Gah! It's to do with religion. Learn your culture. Besides, St. Patricks day has as little to do with Ireland these days, as Halloe'en has to do with All Saints day.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:48 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I have no religion, does that mean I can't be proud of my country?

And it's true, no one bats an eyelid if a Scot has a St Andrews cross on their car bumper. In fact I bet you would be hard pressed to find a Scot who would stick a Union Flag on his car. Same thing with the Welsh. I am not having a go at them I am saying they are totally justified, and that we English should be equally justified in flying the George Cross (without it immediately marking us out as Nazis).

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:54 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

You have no one to blame but yourselves and you know it.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:56 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

MALIBUMAN wrote:
I have no religion, does that mean I can't be proud of my country?

And it's true, no one bats an eyelid if a Scot has a St Andrews cross on their car bumper. In fact I bet you would be hard pressed to find a Scot who would stick a Union Flag on his car. Same thing with the Welsh. I am not having a go at them I am saying they are totally justified, and that we English should be equally justified in flying the George Cross (without it immediately marking us out as Nazis).

Of course not. It's just the origins of the culture surrounding celebrating saints' days. No one is saying you can't be proud of England. No one is saying people who fly Union flags or St. George's flags are racist either (except the people who like to feel victimised and hard done by about doing so of course.)

Huzzah for the English and England on St. George's day MM. Just drop the victim thing, please.

Myrddyn wrote:
For many people participating it has nothing to do with Irishness, it's just become an excuse to get pissed. If someone with enough clout turned the other Saint's days into piss ups, they'd be as big.

Exactly.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:00 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Yeah, okay....

But still....

DEFENDERS OF THE FAITH!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:04 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:
You didn't say "I'm proud to be English". You whinged about other nationalities and immediately played victim.

... which is what it truly means to be English.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:09 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ho De De De !.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next