www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Android Phone User Thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Android Phone User Thread 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Android Phone User Thread
Had a HTC Sensation for about a fortnight, still very much getting to know all the gubbins, it's my first Smart phone. Any advice/recommedantions/points of discussion?

What apps do you find useful or fun? Especially free ones.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:19 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Android Phone User Thread
Get Angry Birds.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:20 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Noted, nearly DLed that last night.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:21 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Applications I would recommend:

3G Watchdog: Handy tool for monitoring how much of your mobile internet allowance you're using.

Advanced Task Killer: Handy tool for seeing what's running in the background of your phone, and shutting down anything that's there needlessly.

Docs: An application for using the obscenely useful Google Docs service on your phone without having to go through the web browser.

Flashlight: Allows you to use the camera flash of your phone as an incredibly useful torch. My handset came with it as standard, but I've heard of some that don't.

Google Sky Map: A toy, really. Basically a rudimentary Google Map of the sky, showing the position of stars, constellations, galaxies, the planets and other interesting heavenly bodies. Use the "time travel" feature to see what was where in the sky when (and to pretend you are in fact a Time Lord).

GPS Status: Shows you how many satellites your phone's GPS can detect, where they are in the sky, and whether or not you're properly locked on to them. Also allows you to manually calibrate various things, should you find a need to.

gvSIG Mini Maps: Like the bundled Locations application, but far better. More accurate, more comprehensive, and with a far, far wider of map selections. Slightly slower to load, but that's only to be expected with the amount of data it can throw at you.

SMS Backup and Restore: This is the one application that I would describe as vital. If Andoid phones have one big weakness, it's that certain older versions of the OS have a tendency to cause all of your saved SMS messages to disappear into the ether. This has largely been resolved with the current builds of Gingerbread, but should it return to trouble you this application sits quietly in the background and creates a backup archive on your SD card. I have it set to do this automatically once an hour.

Wordfeud: Online Scrabble, effectively.

Every application I have described here is available free on the Android Market.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:37 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Shallowthing wrote:
Applications I would recommend:

3G Watchdog: Handy tool for monitoring how much of your mobile internet allowance you're using.

Advanced Task Killer: Handy tool for seeing what's running in the background of your phone, and shutting down anything that's there needlessly.

Docs: An application for using the obscenely useful Google Docs service on your phone without having to go through the web browser.

Flashlight: Allows you to use the camera flash of your phone as an incredibly useful torch. My handset came with it as standard, but I've heard of some that don't.

Google Sky Map: A toy, really. Basically a rudimentary Google Map of the sky, showing the position of stars, constellations, galaxies, the planets and other interesting heavenly bodies. Use the "time travel" feature to see what was where in the sky when (and to pretend you are in fact a Time Lord).

GPS Status: Shows you how many satellites your phone's GPS can detect, where they are in the sky, and whether or not you're properly locked on to them. Also allows you to manually calibrate various things, should you find a need to.

gvSIG Mini Maps: Like the bundled Locations application, but far better. More accurate, more comprehensive, and with a far, far wider of map selections. Slightly slower to load, but that's only to be expected with the amount of data it can throw at you.

SMS Backup and Restore: This is the one application that I would describe as vital. If Andoid phones have one big weakness, it's that certain older versions of the OS have a tendency to cause all of your saved SMS messages to disappear into the ether. This has largely been resolved with the current builds of Gingerbread, but should it return to trouble you this application sits quietly in the background and creates a backup archive on your SD card. I have it set to do this automatically once an hour.

Wordfeud: Online Scrabble, effectively.

Every application I have described here is available free on the Android Market.

Cheers, Shallow, my phone has a Task Manager that kills apps. Is Advanced Task Killer, any more advanced?

My phone uses between 370 and 410 or thereabouts of its 580 mb RAM just being switched on with all apps off, does this sound like too much to you? I've wondered if there's some sort of issue.

JCC what do the non self-explanatory apps you list do?

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:11 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

It's nice to see everyone bond together.

The power of apps indeed!

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:32 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I got a Samasung Galaxy Ace on tuesday, so I'll be monitoring this thread myself.

So far the decent apps I've found that arent mentioned have beenTweetdeck (though I knew about it as I use it on my pc) & Last.fm

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Had a HTC Wildfire since Dec 10 - free games I recommed are Angry Birds, Army Sniper, Alien Invasion, Zombie Invasion, X Construction Lite. Free apps of note are Ron Burgundy Sound Board, BBC News, BBC & SKY SPORTS, don't bother with the Beer App it freezes and fucks up your phone.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:24 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Carnacki wrote:
My phone uses between 370 and 410 or thereabouts of its 580 mb RAM just being switched on with all apps off, does this sound like too much to you? I've wondered if there's some sort of issue.

That sounds like a lot - mine is running 182MB out of its 768MB. But then bear in mind that are phones are only similar, rather than the same. Don't you have 768MB of RAM as well? I thought you had the Sensation?

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:08 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Total memory 558mb, I thought it was 1gb before I bought it.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:24 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Carnacki wrote:
Total memory 558mb, I thought it was 1gb before I bought it.

Accordingto their site its also 768gb RAM, my task mangaer tells me the total is 558 though.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:33 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

my phone is due for a upgrade soon i have a x 10 at the moment a really shite smart phone,i maygo for the h t c or a i phone not sure which yet,Db german railways do a fine app for train times and prices

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:14 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

JCC wrote:
Fuck games.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:06 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Bumped, just in case there's something here Zag might find useful.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:28 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Launcher?

Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:39 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Mali, any app recommendations?

K&R?

Anal simulator?

Gaping bumhole spunk thrower 5?

We should make a Tez Hot Bitches app. That'd sell.

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:48 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Annihislater wrote:
I got a Samasung Galaxy Ace on tuesday, so I'll be monitoring this thread myself.

So far the decent apps I've found that arent mentioned have beenTweetdeck (though I knew about it as I use it on my pc) & Last.fm

I got the same one a few weeks back, to be honest I only got it cos I'm paying the same as I was plus I'm getting more minutes. It being a fancy phone is just a bonus really.

http://letterboxd.com/cynical_boner/

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:57 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Is it worth switching from a Blackberry?

To be honest, I don't need my phone to do 10million things, Bbry does what I need (phone, text, email, reasonable camera, facebook, browsing when out and about) BUT anyone willing to state the case for iphone, HTC, any of the others...?

Not sure when I'm eligible for an upgrade... it's either now or 6 months time, so need to check. I'm not going to be putting tunes on my phone, have an ipod for that, but, yeh, anyone massively impressed with their phone to the extent they want to put a recommend in so I can check it out.

Blackberry Bold 9900 looks good to me, but should I consider something else?

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:08 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I've already downloaded the tube map app ready for the trip down to see Agalloch in April.
I would also recommend:

Sky Football Score Centre: Keeps you updated with all the football news, latest scores, odds etc.
Winamp: Best free media player you can get for your phone.
Steam: If you game online, this is useful for keeping up to date with things.
Sky+: You can check TV listings while out and get your phone to send record data to your box wherever you happen to be.
PayPal: Make Paypal payments etc any time, anywhere.
Metal-Archives: Useful for pulling up band information on the fly.
Met Office Weather App: Because it is ten times better than the AccuWeather shit you get bundled.
BBC News: Better than the Sky version, and keeps you up to date with headlines.
FX Camera: For when you want to take snaps that look like Polaroids or Fisheye.
Onavo: Similar to Shallow's 3G Watchdog, but about a million times better.
Domino's Pizza App: Self explanatory. Order your pizza on the way home from somewhere, have it waiting when you get back.
Amazon Kindle: The book app, and it has hundreds of thousands of free books available to download too.

I need to the Sky Go app as well, but I am completely at a loss as to where to get it from as it isn't on the market.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:15 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Also, Steev, I can recommend iPhones, HTC Sensation XE (with beats audio) and Samsung Galaxy SII's as all having comparable audio to the iPod that you have, with a decent amount of storage space. I could effectively have 100GB storage on my SII.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next