www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Wrasslin'
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Wrasslin' 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Wrasslin'
Fuck Wrestlemania and fuck SKY!

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:39 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:49 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

My mate convinced me to give the WWE network a go (the free month swung it).

SO I've basically been watching Monday Nitro and the PPV's chronologically. Currently up to Halloween havoc '95. The Dungeon of Doom is getting tiresome now. I've also lost count of how many times Arn Anderson and Ric Flair have been the main event on Nitro. Pretty sure it was 4 weeks in a row at oen point.

What I find quite interesting is how I perceive the wrestlers now. I think when I watched it as a kid I was more into the wrestlers with the big gimmicks who won through power and pins.
But now I'm finding I'm enjoying the matches of Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit the most, wrestlers who back then I found really boring because they just wore trunks and attempted reversals and submissions.

Sat May 28, 2016 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I watched one of the old ppv''s the other day. Can't remember which one but it had Kerry Von Erich v Big Bully Busick. It was fucking awful.

Sat May 28, 2016 8:08 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

WCW: World War 3 (1995)

Essentially a bloated episode of Nitro. The same handful of stars fighting the same people they always do. The only thing to set it apart were two gimmick matches.

One was an exhibition of Japanese women's wrestling, which whilst fine in itself felt a little exploitative in tone given the lack of women's division in WCW at the time, and the mocking of culture from the commentators. Also the very next episode of Nitro they repeat the match. Same tag teams, same winners.

The other was a 60 man, 3 ring, elimination over the top rope match; which whilst fine in theory failed to deliver in practice. You end up with a split screen going 3 ways, none of which big enough to really see what's going on, and with so much happening in each screen it's hard to keep focussed on any one screen. It was only in the final minutes when down to a reasonable number, and the screen had been restored to a single shot, that you felt any kind connection to the match and were able to see what was going on.

---

I've started to watch the Monday Night Wars documentary series. Only one and a half episodes in but I'm loving it so far.

Mon May 30, 2016 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

There's obviously a bit of bias, but generally I like how objective it's trying to be about it all. I also grew up with the NWO era of WCW so there's a bit of nostalgia going on for me. I also feel like I should hate Eric Bischoff, but I just find myself admiring him instead.

Mon May 30, 2016 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I moved onto the next episode on Monday Night Wars which looks at the rise of the attitude era.

I think it made me realise how much I dislike Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH and all the DX stuff. I also never really noticed how exploitative (then again I was 7 :p ) towards women it was. Basically just there to get people to watch the men. The only wrestlers I liked then that I think I still like now is The Hardy Boys.

Tue May 31, 2016 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Annihislater wrote:
I moved onto the next episode on Monday Night Wars which looks at the rise of the attitude era.

I think it made me realise how much I dislike Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH and all the DX stuff. I also never really noticed how exploitative (then again I was 7 :p ) towards women it was. Basically just there to get people to watch the men. The only wrestlers I liked then that I think I still like now is The Hardy Boys.

What bugs me is that it seems there are a lot of people who think The Attitude-era was this mecca of wrestling when there was as much shite as there was good stuff. Mae Young giving birth to a hand, anyone?

Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:34 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

The Hardys are currently hamming it up big time in TNA at the moment, this is one of the most awesome/terrible segments for quite some time...

Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:19 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I've done the MNW episodes for Stone Cold, Mankind, DX, ECW, Cruiser weights, Brett Heart, and Goldberg.

I feel their objective view I previously referred to is very much dwindling at this point.
It's basically become "look at how good WCW could have been, shame Bischoff is an idiot".

Still, it's quite interesting to see all the stuff going on behind the scenes with contracts, people's reasoning for leaving, the 'politics' of wrestling. The Brett Heart episode in particular was tragic.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

It's TNA.

Not a fucking chance is that the case.

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:01 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I've been trudging along with Monday Nitro and the PPV's. It's crazy what a narrow pool of main eventers they seemed to employ. Essentially Flair, Anderson, Sting, Luger, Savage, Hogan. But the problem they seem to have is not holding anything back for PPV's, so you end up with the same matches week in week out, with no real selling point. I've just put together a sort timeline of where I'm up to and just how many times those six have been in action against each other. (Not to mention all the other times they all fought mid card opponents, and Hogan took on The Dungeon of Doom)

Sep 4th - Sting v Flair
Sep 11th - Hogan V Lugar
Fall Brawl Sep 17th - Flair V Anderson
Oct 2nd - Flair v Anderson
Oct 9th - Flair v Anderson
Oct 16th - Flair & Sting v Anderson and Pillman
Halloween Havoc Oct 29th - Flair & Sting v Anderson and Pillman
Halloween Havoc Oct 29th - Savage V Luger

Nov 6th - Sting V Flair
Nov 20th - Hogan V Sting
World War 3 Nov 26th - Luger V Savage
World War 3 Nov 26th - Sting V Flair

Nov 27th - Luger & Sting V Anderson & Pillman
Dec 4th - Luger V Savage
Dec 11th - Hogan & Sting v Anderson & Flair
Dec 25th -Savage V Flair
Starcade 1995 Dec 27th - Flair V Luger V Sting
Starcade 1995 Dec 27th - Flair V Savage

Jan 1st - Savage V Anderson
Jan 1st - Hogan V Flair
Jan 8th - Hogan & Savage V Anderson and Flair

There's effectively 5 broadcasts in a row where Flair takes on Anderson.

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I saw TNA: IMPACT last Sunday and I swear The Hardyz are back on the meth...

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:59 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Anyone else been watching Cruiserweight Clasic?

Some great matches so far, but in particular Lince Dorado v Mustafa Ali. Some of the high flying lucha stuff Lince Dorado was doing was incredible.

--

I've also been persisting with Nitro. Upto April 1996 so far.
At the moment it's basically a different combination of Public Enemy/The Steiner Bros./The Nasty Boys/The Road Warriors every week.

The you have Hogan who is the worst. Frustratingly limited move set, no sells absolutely everything, and seems incapable of losing by 'legal' means.
He's got a feud with the dungeon of doom, he's partnered with Savage who's feuding with the 4 Hoursemen because Elizabeth is with them, he's feuding with Jimmy Heart who's with Luger, so he's feuding with Luger who's partnered with Sting. Sting and Hogan/Savage are on good terms, presumably because Sting has been feuding with Flair and the Horsemen. The Horsemen and the DoD feuded for a while over Pillman's antics.

It has so much potential to be an interesting web of matches, but Hogan's inability to loose just ruins any momentum and pushing a story line along. For example at Uncensored Hogan and Savage beat Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Meng, The Barbarian, Lex Luger, The Taskmaster, Z-Gangsta and The Ultimate Solution. That's right outnumbered 8-2. This episode of Nitro I've just watched he beat Arn Anderson and Kein Sulivan in a handicap match, he then proceded to beat Woman and Miss Elizabeth, Then Jimmy Heart and The Giant all on his own.

The good news is that I'm not far off Scott Hall turning up, which whilst I feel the NWO era outstayed it's welcome, is at least a welcome change from the monotony of Hogan winning week in week out, and taking the main event over other peoples title matches.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I was really annoyed with the outcome of CWC.

TJ Perkins was the least interesting out of pretty much everyone in the tournament.

Still, at least Lince Dorado, Jack Gallagher and Gran Metalik have signed, so I'll get to see more of them. Every cloud and all that.

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I don't think it was the right move though. Gran Metalik also signed with them and has far more about him, more ring presence, more of a style of his own. TJP just didn't stand out at all in any way. And for it to end the way it did just felt lazy. There were probably a good 10 or more wrestlers who I'd say deserved to win over TJP.

Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I'm still going with WCW. Currently up to Starcade 1996.

Main event is Hogan v Piper, but I'm much more looking forwards to Malenko V Ultimo Dragon, and Jushin Liger v Ray Mysterio Jnr.

I also watched a belting interview on Legends with JBL with Bruno Sammartino. That guy has lead such an incredible life. Well worth checking out if any of you have the network.

---

I'm actually going watching Smackdown tonight in Manchester.
It'll be my first time so that should be interesting.

Even bought a Bobby Roode tshirt in excitement haha

Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

FeedMeVibration wrote:
Annihislater wrote:
I'm actually going watching Smackdown tonight in Manchester.
It'll be my first time so that should be interesting.

Even bought a Bobby Roode tshirt in excitement haha

It's a great night the wrestling. Don't be ashamed to make a fool of yourself.

I once got asked to calm down by the referee at a local wrestling event, apparently screaming 'punch him in the face' isn't the done thing, same match had a bulldog as the finishing move, I was enraged.

EDIT : I also got ejected from a WWE house show but that was due to a dickhead steward.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:44 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I've been training at a wrestling gym in Newcastle. Two sessions in and I'm having fun.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:40 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Nice one Trigg.

My mate Dan at work keeps trying to convince me that we should start training, but I'm a bit on the fence about it at the moment.

----

That's pretty cool FMV. I'm really enjoying NXT at the moment. It seems to have such a good balance for a show that seemingly lost 3/4 of it's roster this year.

I don't think I've seen DIY or The Revival give a bad match, Bobby Roode and Tye Dillenger are both so over with the crowd that their matches are always fun, guys like Roderick Stong, Almas, No Way Jose, plus some of the cruiserweights that seem to dip in from Raw from time to time all seem really competent and pull of decent matches even when there's no story behind it, and it's just a match for the sake of one. Even the Women seem to have recovered from the loss of such a strong batch. Ember Moon in particular seems really good in the ring. I'm also really digging Aliyah, as well as the sort of Highschool Bitch/Bully dynamic Billie Kay and Peyton Royce have going on.

---

I'm still going on with WCW. Just finished bash at the Beach '97 and fast approaching the 100th episode of Nitro. It's still very hit and miss. I'm loving all the AAA guys coming in, especially Hector Garza who seems like he could have been something special with the right push. Ultimo Dragon, Psychosis, La Parka, Juventud Guererra etc seem to be on nearly every week which is nice.
Also glad they are doing something worthwhile with Glacier bringing in Wrath and Mortis. He kind of makes sense a little bit more now.

The NWO is still broing as shit, Roddy Piper is still past it, same old same old really haha.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next