www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 DINO-FUCKING-SAURS 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
hostilesteve wrote:
i too love dinosaurs, and am currently enthralled by the discovery of the megladon that dwarfs and previous finds, this fucker can swallow a fucking sperm whale without too much trouble, thats a bite the size of a double decker bus.
now scientist are pretty much in two camps over this, some saying its a freak of the species and will only aknowledge it once more specimens are found, others are saying that its a bull and there fore the daddy of the pack and all exsisting ones found where indeed pups or female, either way, with all this melting ice, who the fuck knows.
whats scary is, like with the fish that was supposed to have been extinct foreso many years the chances of sea beasties actually returning to life is higher than first thought.

This is news to me.

A theory to "explains" the massive size of prehistoric fauna and flora is that earth used to be smaller and had less gravity, as it got bigger, life got smaller on the land and in the air.

Why did it get bigger? Bombardment of space debris, apparently millions of tons turn to dust in our atmosphere every year.

Hmmmmm.

http://www.dinox.org/index.html

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:53 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Dashing Dr Dee wrote:
hostilesteve wrote:
i too love dinosaurs, and am currently enthralled by the discovery of the megladon that dwarfs and previous finds, this fucker can swallow a fucking sperm whale without too much trouble, thats a bite the size of a double decker bus.
now scientist are pretty much in two camps over this, some saying its a freak of the species and will only aknowledge it once more specimens are found, others are saying that its a bull and there fore the daddy of the pack and all exsisting ones found where indeed pups or female, either way, with all this melting ice, who the fuck knows.
whats scary is, like with the fish that was supposed to have been extinct foreso many years the chances of sea beasties actually returning to life is higher than first thought.

This is news to me.

A theory to "explains" the massive size of prehistoric fauna and flora is that earth used to be smaller and had less gravity, as it got bigger, life got smaller on the land and in the air.

Why did it get bigger? Bombardment of space debris, apparently millions of tons turn to dust in our atmosphere every year.

Hmmmmm.

http://www.dinox.org/index.html

pfffft - gravity schmavity, god wanted them that big

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:00 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Darren Naish has recently published a book- All Yesterdays: Unique and Speculative Views of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Animals, featuring "speculative" reconstructions of dinosaurs. I used quotation marks as all reconstructions of dinosaurs are highly speculative, e generally only have bones and often we have incomplete specimens. Many are know only from a single bone or tooth, we do occasionally find scales and feather like structures but these are rare and we don't know how many species had them or how much of their bodies were covered and so on.

The point of the book is that the well known, "canonical" reconstructions of dinosaurs tend to ignore the fact that many animals today have all sorts of soft body parts - ears, crests, fat deposits, air sacs, fur etc that one would not not be aware of if you only knew the creatures from skeletons.

Recreations of dinosaurs tend to have the "wraparound" effect, where the minimum amount of flesh is added to the skeleton -think of how obvious the skull of T-Rex is beneath the flesh of images of it. Few living animals today look like their skeletons. Needless to say, we have no idea what colours they were either, or whether they changed with th seasons or were chameleonic.

Sauropods with extra bits:

Triceratops, large image:
http://johnconway.co/images.medium/ay_triceratops.jpeg

Chickenasaurus Rex:

And so on. To further the point there are "wraparound" reconstructions of contemporary animals from the skeletons alone, as though people of the future had never seen them towards the bottom of the page:

http://io9.com/5965389/a-book-that-will ... -dinosaurs

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I'd like to see images of them 'birded up' a bit, with feathers and wattles. Perhaps a Dilophosaurus looking a bit peacocky.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:22 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Seer wrote:
I'd like to see images of them 'birded up' a bit

Wearing a bit of lippy, like the swamp monster in Lost Valley Of The Dinosaurs?

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:27 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I used to love that fucking boardgame!

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:21 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Remember knobhead from Pitchshifter claimed that dinosaurs look nothing like our modern reconstructions. He imagined that the bones were thrown together to form whatever shape looked menacing and monsterlike.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:17 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Darren Naish has recently published a book- All Yesterdays: Unique and Speculative Views of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Animals, featuring "speculative" reconstructions of dinosaurs. I used quotation marks as all reconstructions of dinosaurs are highly speculative, e generally only have bones and often we have incomplete specimens. Many are know only from a single bone or tooth, we do occasionally find scales and feather like structures but these are rare and we don't know how many species had them or how much of their bodies were covered and so on.

The point of the book is that the well known, "canonical" reconstructions of dinosaurs tend to ignore the fact that many animals today have all sorts of soft body parts - ears, crests, fat deposits, air sacs, fur etc that one would not not be aware of if you only knew the creatures from skeletons.

Recreations of dinosaurs tend to have the "wraparound" effect, where the minimum amount of flesh is added to the skeleton -think of how obvious the skull of T-Rex is beneath the flesh of images of it. Few living animals today look like their skeletons. Needless to say, we have no idea what colours they were either, or whether they changed with th seasons or were chameleonic.

[...]

And so on. To further the point there are "wraparound" reconstructions of contemporary animals from the skeletons alone, as though people of the future had never seen them towards the bottom of the page:

http://io9.com/5965389/a-book-that-will ... -dinosaurs

Interesting! But one thing the article says is clearly wrong:

"Another thing you NEVER see in paleoart is what exactly dinosaurs might have looked like when they were mating. "

As a kid, I remember having a magazine in which there was an article exclusively dedicated to mating dinosaurs with several coloured and detailed illustrations.

I also had all 104 issues of a dinosaurs magazine.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:31 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Last edited by Seer on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:36 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I think I put together the skeleton as well as the outer "shell" separately, so i actually had two, though parts were probably missing as I've always been a bit messy.

Later they had nice cards in it too I think. I would really love to look at all of that stuff again... same as that article with the mating dinosaurs (from a German popular science mag called "PM"), as I can't find it on the web!

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:41 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sacrebleurgh wrote:
There should be more dinosaur movies. Way more.

More good ones.

I liked Jurassic Park the first few times because it was actually convincing. I recall one from the 80's that explained the Lochness Monster to be non-extinct dinosaur. That one was okay if I remember correctly.

But yeah, let's see some less-family-friendly dinasaur movies of a Jurassic Park caliber!

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:05 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Try the original Gojira then.

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:43 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Weakling wrote:
I also had all 104 issues of a dinosaurs magazine.

Holy shit, I was discussing that on Facebook over the weekend. I finished the skeleton but not the covering, and I had the cards in the ring binder too.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

The idea of sauropods with three-metre-long wattles on their necks is hilarious.

The 'reconstructed' modern animals are very good too, especially the baboon, but they overlook the fact that they're all mammals, whereas dinosaurs were reptiles. Reptiles tend to look much more like their skeletons, don't they, due to having scales rather than big puffy fur. Although plenty of dinosaurs may have had feathers apparently, so maybe not.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Take your logic out of here before Dee curses you.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

They were reptiles but ones that existed 65 million years ago and were around for 150 million years. Some were probably warm blooded and there are no warm blooded reptiles on earth today, also "bird hipped" dinosaurs were more closely related to modern birds then they were to "lizard hipped" dinosaurs, or so palaentologists currently believe.

Basically, they were very different to anything alive today. I agree that the sauropods with wattles look ludicrous but that's partially because we have preconceived notions of what sauropods looked like. Ideas that may well be completely wrong. I remember reading a scathing attack on Walking with Dinosaurs, which basically said we know nothing about that era of Earth and attempting to simulate life from it was like trying to recreate Western civilisation from a half eaten hamburger and an incomplete copy of Oedipus.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:03 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

My childhood was spent obsessing over dinosaurs and sea creatures, then I discovered action movies and metal but dinosaurs still live in my heart along with black metal.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:07 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Some were probably warm blooded

I've always wondered why that's mentioned as a possibility when, as you say, there are no warm-blooded reptiles today. What reason is there to think dinosaurs may have been? Just because they were so big?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:11 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Some were probably warm blooded

I've always wondered why that's mentioned as a possibility when, as you say, there are no warm-blooded reptiles today. What reason is there to think dinosaurs may have been? Just because they were so big?

The opposite I think, I remember seeing an arguments that the most massive dinosaurs - the big sauropods were "too big" to be warm blooded and would have over heated, though this ignores the existence of the blue whale, the most massive animal to have ever lived.

Small(ish) hunters raptors are believed to be warm blooded because they were probably very active. The bigger dinosaurs, like most of the well known ones could have been cold blooded gigantotherms, so large they are able to generate/retain heat in a manner most cold blooded animals can't. Many dinosaurs lived in the Antarctic region and although it was warmer than today, it was still freezing in the winter, being warm blooded would have been an obvious advantage, especially for smaller species. It's also possible they had fatty deposits under the skin, and feather like or even fur like structures for insulation.

I think the dinosaurs believed to have been warm blooded were the bird hipped ones - therapods and other two legged hunters who are believed to be the antecedents of birds and birds are warm blooded.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:23 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Ed, direct quote from Wiki on Birds. (In B4 "Wiki? Must be true then!" This is generally believed to be true.)

"The fossil record indicates that birds emerged within theropod dinosaurs during the Jurassic period, around 160 million years (Ma) ago. Paleontologists regard birds as the only clade of dinosaurs to have survived the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event 65.5 Ma (million years) ago."

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next