www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:00 am



Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 DINO-FUCKING-SAURS 
Author Message
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
hostilesteve wrote:
i too love dinosaurs, and am currently enthralled by the discovery of the megladon that dwarfs and previous finds, this fucker can swallow a fucking sperm whale without too much trouble, thats a bite the size of a double decker bus.
now scientist are pretty much in two camps over this, some saying its a freak of the species and will only aknowledge it once more specimens are found, others are saying that its a bull and there fore the daddy of the pack and all exsisting ones found where indeed pups or female, either way, with all this melting ice, who the fuck knows.
whats scary is, like with the fish that was supposed to have been extinct foreso many years the chances of sea beasties actually returning to life is higher than first thought.


This is news to me.

A theory to "explains" the massive size of prehistoric fauna and flora is that earth used to be smaller and had less gravity, as it got bigger, life got smaller on the land and in the air.

Why did it get bigger? Bombardment of space debris, apparently millions of tons turn to dust in our atmosphere every year.

Hmmmmm.

http://www.dinox.org/index.html


Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:53 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 5190
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Dashing Dr Dee wrote:
hostilesteve wrote:
i too love dinosaurs, and am currently enthralled by the discovery of the megladon that dwarfs and previous finds, this fucker can swallow a fucking sperm whale without too much trouble, thats a bite the size of a double decker bus.
now scientist are pretty much in two camps over this, some saying its a freak of the species and will only aknowledge it once more specimens are found, others are saying that its a bull and there fore the daddy of the pack and all exsisting ones found where indeed pups or female, either way, with all this melting ice, who the fuck knows.
whats scary is, like with the fish that was supposed to have been extinct foreso many years the chances of sea beasties actually returning to life is higher than first thought.


This is news to me.

A theory to "explains" the massive size of prehistoric fauna and flora is that earth used to be smaller and had less gravity, as it got bigger, life got smaller on the land and in the air.

Why did it get bigger? Bombardment of space debris, apparently millions of tons turn to dust in our atmosphere every year.

Hmmmmm.

http://www.dinox.org/index.html


pfffft - gravity schmavity, god wanted them that big


Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:00 am
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Darren Naish has recently published a book- All Yesterdays: Unique and Speculative Views of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Animals, featuring "speculative" reconstructions of dinosaurs. I used quotation marks as all reconstructions of dinosaurs are highly speculative, e generally only have bones and often we have incomplete specimens. Many are know only from a single bone or tooth, we do occasionally find scales and feather like structures but these are rare and we don't know how many species had them or how much of their bodies were covered and so on.

The point of the book is that the well known, "canonical" reconstructions of dinosaurs tend to ignore the fact that many animals today have all sorts of soft body parts - ears, crests, fat deposits, air sacs, fur etc that one would not not be aware of if you only knew the creatures from skeletons.

Recreations of dinosaurs tend to have the "wraparound" effect, where the minimum amount of flesh is added to the skeleton -think of how obvious the skull of T-Rex is beneath the flesh of images of it. Few living animals today look like their skeletons. Needless to say, we have no idea what colours they were either, or whether they changed with th seasons or were chameleonic.

Sauropods with extra bits:

Image
Image

Triceratops, large image:
http://johnconway.co/images.medium/ay_triceratops.jpeg

Chickenasaurus Rex:

Image

And so on. To further the point there are "wraparound" reconstructions of contemporary animals from the skeletons alone, as though people of the future had never seen them towards the bottom of the page:

http://io9.com/5965389/a-book-that-will ... -dinosaurs


Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 pm
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 am
Posts: 1354
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
I'd like to see images of them 'birded up' a bit, with feathers and wattles. Perhaps a Dilophosaurus looking a bit peacocky.


Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:22 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 12:29 am
Posts: 12432
Location: The Bridge, Imperial Star Destroyer
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Seer wrote:
I'd like to see images of them 'birded up' a bit


Wearing a bit of lippy, like the swamp monster in Lost Valley Of The Dinosaurs?

Image


Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:27 pm
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:25 am
Posts: 6716
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
I used to love that fucking boardgame!

_________________
Katherine Legge wrote:
Termoid wrote:
If you could be any other forum member apart from yourself who would you be and why?

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.


Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:21 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:42 am
Posts: 9886
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Remember knobhead from Pitchshifter claimed that dinosaurs look nothing like our modern reconstructions. He imagined that the bones were thrown together to form whatever shape looked menacing and monsterlike.


Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:17 pm
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1585
Location: Edinburgh
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Darren Naish has recently published a book- All Yesterdays: Unique and Speculative Views of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Animals, featuring "speculative" reconstructions of dinosaurs. I used quotation marks as all reconstructions of dinosaurs are highly speculative, e generally only have bones and often we have incomplete specimens. Many are know only from a single bone or tooth, we do occasionally find scales and feather like structures but these are rare and we don't know how many species had them or how much of their bodies were covered and so on.

The point of the book is that the well known, "canonical" reconstructions of dinosaurs tend to ignore the fact that many animals today have all sorts of soft body parts - ears, crests, fat deposits, air sacs, fur etc that one would not not be aware of if you only knew the creatures from skeletons.

Recreations of dinosaurs tend to have the "wraparound" effect, where the minimum amount of flesh is added to the skeleton -think of how obvious the skull of T-Rex is beneath the flesh of images of it. Few living animals today look like their skeletons. Needless to say, we have no idea what colours they were either, or whether they changed with th seasons or were chameleonic.

[...]

And so on. To further the point there are "wraparound" reconstructions of contemporary animals from the skeletons alone, as though people of the future had never seen them towards the bottom of the page:

http://io9.com/5965389/a-book-that-will ... -dinosaurs


Interesting! But one thing the article says is clearly wrong:

"Another thing you NEVER see in paleoart is what exactly dinosaurs might have looked like when they were mating. "

As a kid, I remember having a magazine in which there was an article exclusively dedicated to mating dinosaurs with several coloured and detailed illustrations.

I also had all 104 issues of a dinosaurs magazine.


Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:31 pm
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 am
Posts: 1354
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
.


Last edited by Seer on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:36 pm
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:18 am
Posts: 1585
Location: Edinburgh
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
I think I put together the skeleton as well as the outer "shell" separately, so i actually had two, though parts were probably missing as I've always been a bit messy.

Later they had nice cards in it too I think. I would really love to look at all of that stuff again... same as that article with the mating dinosaurs (from a German popular science mag called "PM"), as I can't find it on the web!


Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:41 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 1:07 am
Posts: 3234
Location: Wherever I imagine myself to be
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Sacrebleurgh wrote:
There should be more dinosaur movies. Way more.


More good ones.


I liked Jurassic Park the first few times because it was actually convincing. I recall one from the 80's that explained the Lochness Monster to be non-extinct dinosaur. That one was okay if I remember correctly.

But yeah, let's see some less-family-friendly dinasaur movies of a Jurassic Park caliber!

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:05 pm
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:25 am
Posts: 6716
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Try the original Gojira then.

_________________
Katherine Legge wrote:
Termoid wrote:
If you could be any other forum member apart from yourself who would you be and why?

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.


Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:43 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:44 pm
Posts: 15990
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Weakling wrote:
I also had all 104 issues of a dinosaurs magazine.

Holy shit, I was discussing that on Facebook over the weekend. I finished the skeleton but not the covering, and I had the cards in the ring binder too.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 pm
Posts: 8683
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
The idea of sauropods with three-metre-long wattles on their necks is hilarious.

The 'reconstructed' modern animals are very good too, especially the baboon, but they overlook the fact that they're all mammals, whereas dinosaurs were reptiles. Reptiles tend to look much more like their skeletons, don't they, due to having scales rather than big puffy fur. Although plenty of dinosaurs may have had feathers apparently, so maybe not.

_________________
Guardian-reading Fairtrade coffee-drinking bollocks


Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 am
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:25 am
Posts: 6716
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Take your logic out of here before Dee curses you.

_________________
Katherine Legge wrote:
Termoid wrote:
If you could be any other forum member apart from yourself who would you be and why?

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.


Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
They were reptiles but ones that existed 65 million years ago and were around for 150 million years. Some were probably warm blooded and there are no warm blooded reptiles on earth today, also "bird hipped" dinosaurs were more closely related to modern birds then they were to "lizard hipped" dinosaurs, or so palaentologists currently believe.

Basically, they were very different to anything alive today. I agree that the sauropods with wattles look ludicrous but that's partially because we have preconceived notions of what sauropods looked like. Ideas that may well be completely wrong. I remember reading a scathing attack on Walking with Dinosaurs, which basically said we know nothing about that era of Earth and attempting to simulate life from it was like trying to recreate Western civilisation from a half eaten hamburger and an incomplete copy of Oedipus.


Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:03 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:42 am
Posts: 9886
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
My childhood was spent obsessing over dinosaurs and sea creatures, then I discovered action movies and metal but dinosaurs still live in my heart along with black metal.


Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:07 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 pm
Posts: 8683
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Some were probably warm blooded

I've always wondered why that's mentioned as a possibility when, as you say, there are no warm-blooded reptiles today. What reason is there to think dinosaurs may have been? Just because they were so big?

_________________
Guardian-reading Fairtrade coffee-drinking bollocks


Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:11 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Ed Blackadder wrote:
Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Some were probably warm blooded

I've always wondered why that's mentioned as a possibility when, as you say, there are no warm-blooded reptiles today. What reason is there to think dinosaurs may have been? Just because they were so big?


The opposite I think, I remember seeing an arguments that the most massive dinosaurs - the big sauropods were "too big" to be warm blooded and would have over heated, though this ignores the existence of the blue whale, the most massive animal to have ever lived.

Small(ish) hunters raptors are believed to be warm blooded because they were probably very active. The bigger dinosaurs, like most of the well known ones could have been cold blooded gigantotherms, so large they are able to generate/retain heat in a manner most cold blooded animals can't. Many dinosaurs lived in the Antarctic region and although it was warmer than today, it was still freezing in the winter, being warm blooded would have been an obvious advantage, especially for smaller species. It's also possible they had fatty deposits under the skin, and feather like or even fur like structures for insulation.

I think the dinosaurs believed to have been warm blooded were the bird hipped ones - therapods and other two legged hunters who are believed to be the antecedents of birds and birds are warm blooded.


Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:23 pm
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 am
Posts: 1354
Post Re: DINO-FUCKING-SAURS
Ed, direct quote from Wiki on Birds. (In B4 "Wiki? Must be true then!" This is generally believed to be true.)

"The fossil record indicates that birds emerged within theropod dinosaurs during the Jurassic period, around 160 million years (Ma) ago. Paleontologists regard birds as the only clade of dinosaurs to have survived the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event 65.5 Ma (million years) ago."


Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:39 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.