www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Good documentary recommendations thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Good documentary recommendations thread 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: Good documentary recommendations thread
Christ, the bit where they plan the pie-throwing is absolutely cringe-inducing, I genuinely hope they've watched the video and felt like complete twats. The most damning indictment of Icke and his entire ideology is, of course, the moment where he's on film moving along to a Boy Zone song as though the words are of the most profound significance.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:33 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Saw this the other day, thought it was pretty interesting.The only actually decent member of the band is Manheim, and he quit in 1988.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:52 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Painkiller wrote:
Christ, the bit where they plan the pie-throwing is absolutely cringe-inducing, I genuinely hope they've watched the video and felt like complete twats. The most damning indictment of Icke and his entire ideology is, of course, the moment where he's on film moving along to a Boy Zone song as though the words are of the most profound significance.

I deliberately didn't mention that last bit as it's so damn funny that I didn't want to ruin the surprise. "What we believe is true"! GEDDIT??

The series is called Jon Ronson: Secret Rulers of the World and is all on Youtube, I intend to watch the Bildeberg Group episode tonight while I have my dinner.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:11 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Er... "moving along" there should be "mouthing along". Though, to be fair, he was moving too.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:23 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Deathgrippin' wrote:

Saw this the other day, thought it was pretty interesting.The only actually decent member of the band is Manheim, and he quit in 1988.
I started watching this and realised I'd seen it before. There are so many of them now.

I like what Messiah Nordheim says about Mayhem. They basically thought it was "cool" (Hellhammer, Bathory, Venom, etc.), they just amped up the tempo, had a "fuck off" attitude and thought shocking people was all a bit of fun. Now of course, journos and fans are all about how the scene was influenced by Nietsche, folk-music and the ironic, knowing racism and all that bollocks.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:30 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

robitusson wrote:
Deathgrippin' wrote:

I started watching this and realised I'd seen it before. There are so many of them now.

I like what Messiah Nordheim says about Mayhem. They basically thought it was "cool" (Hellhammer, Bathory, Venom, etc.), they just amped up the tempo, had a "fuck off" attitude and thought shocking people was all a bit of fun. Now of course, journos and fans are all about how the scene was influenced by Nietsche, folk-music and the ironic, knowing racism and all that bollocks.

This is the only one I've ever seen, but I did notice there were quite a few up there.

Yeah, you've got to draw the line at what is "cool" or "upping the tempo" though. Burning churches and murdering homosexuals isn't the route I'd go down. I can't speak for you though robit, obviously ;)

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:36 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Worth it just for the scene when he's cracking up telling the interviewer about his "magic medicine."

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:36 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:

Apparently this is part of a series. I like Jon Ronson, this is an interesting watch. It's more about a group protesting against Icke than what Icke actually believes (or not, as the case may be). Warning: this contains some of the most punchable people you're likely to see in a documentary, although Icke himself seems like a pretty nice, polite guy.

I have just watched it, give me David Icke over the poe faced anti racists any day

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:01 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Yeah, they come across badly. I do think that the documentary skimmed over the fact that there ARE a number of really serious parallels between what Icke's saying and what many anti-semites have said, mind. I don't think Icke is anti-semitic, but I also don't think suspecting that he is is as ridiculous as the documentary's "when he says lizards, does he mean Jews?" line suggets.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:47 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Very sad tale of Bertil Fox, ex-bodybuilding champ from London convicted for murder in the Caribean.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:19 pm
Gimp
Gimp

Surprised no one has mentioned Such Hawks, Such Hounds. It's a great delve into US stoner, doom and sludge.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Its ok. I thought the newer bands that it covers were pretty bad, and although I liked the contributions from the likes of Wino, Billy Anderson, Scott Reeder, Geof O Keefe and Matt Pike very few of those involved had anything of real interest to say. Not enough DOOM, and too many fucking hippies. :D

Does anyone know where I can see the 'Slow Southern Steel' documentary, if it ever came out?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:38 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:51 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

This site might, interest a few people. I've never really checked out many docs so can't recommend any from the list.

http://www.thedocumentaryblog.com/index ... he-decade/

http://letterboxd.com/cynical_boner/

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:52 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Can you smoke on Saudi airlines?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:54 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Only if you are on fire bas.

Stuff for sale :
http://www.discogs.com/seller/yailbloor

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:24 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:17 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

^
That's the guy The Iceman's based on, yes?

I just watched this (thanks to dead kitten for posting it on the book of Face), a decent (if slightly, fittingly amateurish) one on anarcho-punk:

Essentially an extended advert for Ian Glasper's book on the subject but worth a watch if you've any interest in that sort of thing.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:50 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Nearly finished watching Simon Schama's 'A History of Britain' complete series.

5 fist documentary. It'll take a few more watchings to take it all in, as only the prehistory bit I'm completely up to speed with, but the whole bit on the Civil War seemed very good to me. I like his posh voice too. I'd certainly recommend it.

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:30 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Have you seen Britain BC Crom?

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next