www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Bejayzus! The Paddy thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 11:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 40  Next
 Bejayzus! The Paddy thread 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Bejayzus! The Paddy thread
Fucking hell, what did they do? It's probably the worst place I've ever set foot in, serious animal life there. (I went out with a girl from Tuam for a brief period. Her name was Joan Dolan. The sniggering was the end of it...)

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

And yet another Pádraic joins the boards. *waves*

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:10 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Just you wait until Cromwell gets here.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:13 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

He's dead, surely...? My grandad danced on his tomb in Westminster.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:17 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Cuchulainn wrote:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=73

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:20 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=73

Life in the old dog yet, then?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:24 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Solaris wrote:
Fucking hell, what did they do? It's probably the worst place I've ever set foot in, serious animal life there. (I went out with a girl from Tuam for a brief period. Her name was Joan Dolan. The sniggering was the end of it...)

They were pouring cans into empty pint glasses in a pub. The one chap I knew had dreadlocks, which probly more to do with it than anything really.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:53 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I can guarantee that they weren't the first ones to do it. Ask them what pub it was, if it was The Sportsman, I think I can understand why they got such a hostile reaction.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:27 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Painkiller wrote:

I laughed.

M0)))rf wrote:
anseo.

Ooh, a word of Irish I actually know, I think. This is what you say when the teacher calls your name on the register, isn't it? It's like "present" or something. Pronounced like 'un-shuh', yes? There's a great Paul Muldoon poem called 'Anseo', one of my lecturers took perverse pleasure in trying to get us to read it out loud.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:48 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Ooh, a word of Irish I actually know, I think. This is what you say when the teacher calls your name on the register, isn't it? It's like "present" or something. Pronounced like 'un-shuh', yes? There's a great Paul Muldoon poem called 'Anseo', one of my lecturers took perverse pleasure in trying to get us to read it out loud.

^ Yup! You now know about as much Irish as most Irish people. Just add some fecklessness, a dash of "ah shur it'll do" and a smidgeon of "if it wasn't for dem ..........., we'd be on de pig's back" and you could be one of us.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:55 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Ed Blackadder wrote:

^ Yup! You now know about as much Irish as most Irish people. Just add some fecklessness, a dash of "ah shur it'll do" and a smidgeon of "if it wasn't for dem ..........., we'd be on de pig's back" and you could be one of us.

"Dere's more to Oireland dan dis..."

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:50 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Is being on the pig's back good or bad?

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:51 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

It's just a way of getting around. Public transport is poor in many parts of Ireland.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:48 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

robitusson wrote:
Ed Blackadder wrote:

You missed out pathological parochialism, turning a blind eye to institutionalised pederasty and the phrase "I'm just after (insert something you were previously doing)".

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:41 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

"Turning a blind eye to" and actually setting up state sanctioned institutions to that end, which had the tacit support of the public, are not the same thing. I don't know what pathological parochialism is.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:54 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

robitusson wrote:
I don't know what pathological parochialism is.

It means Dee's lived in London for too long.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:00 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Not just in London.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:34 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

robitusson wrote:

I read an article Dara O'Briain wrote where he claimed that, because theoretically everyone should be able to speak Irish from having learned it at school, it's a legal right to have a parking ticket or suchlike served to you in Irish instead of English. So if you're in trouble, demand that the policeman does it in Irish, and chances are that he won't be able to and so will just give up. Apparently.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:39 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I 'studied' Irish in school for 14 years and I couldn't hold a fucking remedial conversation in the language.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:10 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

robitusson wrote:
"Turning a blind eye to" and actually setting up state sanctioned institutions to that end, which had the tacit support of the public, are not the same thing. I don't know what pathological parochialism is.

Irishness.

The Irish people I know (in real life) are mostly graduates and for the most part are either from Dublin or have worked or studied there and are intelligent people so you'd think they would be reasonably cosmopolitan. They still have the air of the country bumpkin that has just come to the "big city" and I'm not talking about those I know in London.

There's a sort of defiant, small town, slightly plebeian, old fashioned attitude to all of them to differing extents. They are still slightly wide eyed about sex, art, anything "different" and almost a little naive.

The other strand is the embedded regionalism, yes, the UK has the same sort of thing, I imagine all old countries do. In Ireland it seems to take place on another level, I'd meet someone from one Irish county while travelling, go to the pub with them, perhaps inevitably, meet another Irish backapcker, or several, from another. They would, often as not, start having banter about each other's counties/provinces/towns, often with a lot of knowledge, like the rivalries have been lovingly curated and almost codified.

This was very different to the British "your football team is shit" or "you shag sheep" from my Sais chums, not that it's always on that level in the UK. I was struck by how much Irish people knew about their country, Wales is sadly dissimilar, but; I was also struck how unable they were to leave their country behind. They'd talk about Ireland a lot, in any context, they seemed to be viewing the world through an "Irish filter", obviously we are all products of our background/nation but again, this seemed to be on a different level to Brits or to the other Europeans I met travelling.

I've met a small number of Irish people who don't fit into this category and have asked some of them about this and they largely agreed. You're perhaps more exceptional than most Robit, having lived a other countries, having a wife from a very different culture and studied art, though my point is, some of the people I have met could do all the same things and still be parochial.

The Irish board users here strike me as atypical, though I expect we are all atypical on here, what's interesting is the general criticism of Ireland on here, my friends would slag off almost every aspect of Irishness - Govt corruption and so on, yet still not slag off "Ireland" itself. In vaguely similar way they'll slag off most or all aspects of the Catholic Church, yet not say a bad word about the Pope.

I've met a lot of Irish people, I tended to gravitate towards them and other Europeans while travelling and avoid Brits (Sais) and I think I'm not completely talking out of my arse here. We have regionalism and parochialism aplenty in the UK, the South Wales Valleys were I'm from is backwards as fuck but it just seems to manifest differently in Ireland.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 40  Next