www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Bejayzus! The Paddy thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:39 pm



Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 40  Next
 Bejayzus! The Paddy thread 
Author Message
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 45059
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Nottoo fond of your first two paragraphs there, Dee.

That culture of deference to the catholic church is dying out over here, thankfully. Most people I know have no interest in it whatsoever and the special air of reverence forthe clergy is a thing of the past with your average person. It lingers among the middle aged and especially the elderly (for most of them, it was literally beaten into them and you might as well try to convince them that the earth is flat as tell them that the catholic church be fallible). I'm fairly sure, however, that everyone is aware that the pope's a cunt, no one's really under any illusions there.

As for the parochial nature of society, bear in mind that it's a small, relatively sparsely populated country with a mostly rural based population. Dublin's a different matter, obviously and a different culture prevails there - to the extent that it might as well be a different country altogether - due in part to its location and history, but also the fact that it's so heavily populated for a relatively small area in comparison with the rest of the country.

There's a (mostly) friendly rivalry between counties and provinces - just mingle with the crowd at a GAA match for an idea - and because it's a small place, most people have travelled the country extensively, even if it's only for a weekend away or visiting friends from college or whatever. Generally people love the country itself, if not the establishment or, say, the infrastructure (the roads are unbelievably bad over here).

Add to all that the international view of the Irish - especially in Britain ("no dogs, no black, no Irish" anyone? It wasn't that long ago...) - in the recent past, and is it any wonder that we stick together when abroad, fall back on the familar, have a bit of 'craic' and all that?

We're not all backward sun-worshippers over here, believe it or not. That element is shrinking and soon to be a thing of the past, with any luck.


What the fuck was my point? I went off track and got lost somewhere...


Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:32 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am
Posts: 5623
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Dublin > The Rest Of Ireland.

















Only slaggin'.

_________________
Image


Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:39 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 am
Posts: 28491
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Solaris wrote:
What the fuck was my point?


How awesome Manowar are.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 pm
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 45059
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Image


Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:02 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Solaris wrote:
Nottoo fond of your first two paragraphs there, Dee.


I wasn't out to cause offence and was telling it like I see it, it was in reference to the fairly large and reasonably diverse amount of Irish people I've met.

Solaris wrote:
That culture of deference to the catholic church is dying out over here, thankfully. Most people I know have no interest in it whatsoever and the special air of reverence forthe clergy is a thing of the past with your average person. It lingers among the middle aged and especially the elderly (for most of them, it was literally beaten into them and you might as well try to convince them that the earth is flat as tell them that the catholic church be fallible). I'm fairly sure, however, that everyone is aware that the pope's a cunt, no one's really under any illusions there.


My friends don't really have much deference to the church, though some still lingers. They will happily make jokes about paedophile priests and criticise the corruption and hypocrisy but they still will not criticise the Pope or the overall "Church" itself if that makes sense. My friends range from mid 20s to mid 30s.

Solaris wrote:
As for the parochial nature of society, bear in mind that it's a small, relatively sparsely populated country with a mostly rural based population. Dublin's a different matter, obviously and a different culture prevails there - to the extent that it might as well be a different country altogether - due in part to its location and history, but also the fact that it's so heavily populated for a relatively small area in comparison with the rest of the country.

There's a (mostly) friendly rivalry between counties and provinces - just mingle with the crowd at a GAA match for an idea - and because it's a small place, most people have travelled the country extensively, even if it's only for a weekend away or visiting friends from college or whatever. Generally people love the country itself, if not the establishment or, say, the infrastructure (the roads are unbelievably bad over here).


I am impressed by this friendly rivalry both for people's knowledge of their country and for its good nature, very refreshing compared to British (English) people's retarded hatred of one another's football teams. People's inability to leave it, or their parochialism behind, in the way I left The Valleys behind or PK left Liverpool behind is something else though and something that struck me as notable

Solaris wrote:
Add to all that the international view of the Irish - especially in Britain ("no dogs, no black, no Irish" anyone? It wasn't that long ago...) - in the recent past, and is it any wonder that we stick together when abroad, fall back on the familar, have a bit of 'craic' and all that?


The Irish were viewed and treated appallingly by the British until a generation or so ago, however; I'm more familiar with Brits (and seemingly every other nationality on earth) falling over themselves to tell you how cool you are. You are the most romanticised and fetishized nation on earth. Inane twats of every nation are keen to point out their (real or imagined) Irish ancestry, how they also, love "the craic" and how the Guiness "tastes better in Ireland". This cultural masturbation is the view of the Irish I'm most familiar with. I don't know how many other nations treated the Irish in a hostile way recently.

Solaris wrote:
We're not all backward sun-worshippers over here, believe it or not. That element is shrinking and soon to be a thing of the past, with any luck.


What the fuck was my point? I went off track and got lost somewhere...


I know a lot of Irish people, have lived with them and visited Ireland (Dublin and surrounding counties) a number of times. I have taken an interest in Irish culture and overwhelmingly have liked Irish people, finding them friendly and unpretentious. My point is I didn't the observations from a point of view of malice or ignorance, I can't claim to know as much about Ireland as you but equally, as an outsider perhaps I see some things from a fresher perspective.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:07 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11056
Location: Hull
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Irish often ask why the English mock and makes jokes about the Irish being dim. Its because the Irish have not yet evolved beyond religion whereas the English have. Anyone who follows religion appears primitive to the person who has evolved beyond religion.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 45059
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Solaris wrote:
Nottoo fond of your first two paragraphs there, Dee.

I wasn't out to cause offence and was telling it like I see it, it was in reference to the fairly large and reasonably diverse amount of Irish people I've met.

Fair enough, but you can understand how phrases like "country bumpkin" and "plebian" could be offensive, verging into Trigger territory here. ;)

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Solaris wrote:
That culture of deference to the catholic church is dying out over here, thankfully. Most people I know have no interest in it whatsoever and the special air of reverence forthe clergy is a thing of the past with your average person. It lingers among the middle aged and especially the elderly (for most of them, it was literally beaten into them and you might as well try to convince them that the earth is flat as tell them that the catholic church be fallible). I'm fairly sure, however, that everyone is aware that the pope's a cunt, no one's really under any illusions there.

My friends don't really have much deference to the church, though some still lingers. They will happily make jokes about paedophile priests and criticise the corruption and hypocrisy but they still will not criticise the Pope or the overall "Church" itself if that makes sense. My friends range from mid 20s to mid 30s.

That's very atypical in my experience, I must say. Still, we're not clones, I suppose.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Solaris wrote:
As for the parochial nature of society, bear in mind that it's a small, relatively sparsely populated country with a mostly rural based population. Dublin's a different matter, obviously and a different culture prevails there - to the extent that it might as well be a different country altogether - due in part to its location and history, but also the fact that it's so heavily populated for a relatively small area in comparison with the rest of the country.

There's a (mostly) friendly rivalry between counties and provinces - just mingle with the crowd at a GAA match for an idea - and because it's a small place, most people have travelled the country extensively, even if it's only for a weekend away or visiting friends from college or whatever. Generally people love the country itself, if not the establishment or, say, the infrastructure (the roads are unbelievably bad over here).

I am impressed by this friendly rivalry both for people's knowledge of their country and for its good nature, very refreshing compared to British (English) people's retarded hatred of one another's football teams. People's inability to leave it, or their parochialism behind, in the way I left The Valleys behind or PK left Liverpool behind is something else though and something that struck me as notable

Definitely a problem, people tend to drag a misplaced patriotism with them wherever they go, which gives rise toshit like "back in the old country" down the line. Personally I think it's a cultural hangover from things like the diaspora and transportation (much like America's obsession with alcohol as an evil in itself, stemming from prohibition) - an ingrained homesickness that manifests itself even though they might not have even left the country yet.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Solaris wrote:
Add to all that the international view of the Irish - especially in Britain ("no dogs, no black, no Irish" anyone? It wasn't that long ago...) - in the recent past, and is it any wonder that we stick together when abroad, fall back on the familar, have a bit of 'craic' and all that?

The Irish were viewed and treated appallingly by the British until a generation or so ago, however; I'm more familiar with Brits (and seemingly every other nationality on earth) falling over themselves to tell you how cool you are. You are the most romanticised and fetishized nation on earth. Inane twats of every nation are keen to point out their (real or imagined) Irish ancestry, how they also, love "the craic" and how the Guiness "tastes better in Ireland". This cultural masturbation is the view of the Irish I'm most familiar with. I don't know how many other nations treated the Irish in a hostile way recently.

There is an ingrained prejudice towards us in a lot of societies, though. I'm not making a sweeping generalisation here, as it's a small amount of fuckwits who feel that way (on both sides of it, too) but Irish jokes are all over the place, for instance, portraying Paddy as a fuckwit of the highest (lowest) order. I've seen it in Americans, too, I'm not singling out the British. The Polish fucking despise us, and my Aussie in-laws reckon the Irish aren't too popular in certain parts of their country, lately (though, given the sheer amount of Irish that have moved there and worked cash jobs, it's understandable).[/quote]

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Solaris wrote:
We're not all backward sun-worshippers over here, believe it or not. That element is shrinking and soon to be a thing of the past, with any luck.

What the fuck was my point? I went off track and got lost somewhere...

I know a lot of Irish people, have lived with them and visited Ireland (Dublin and surrounding counties) a number of times. I have taken an interest in Irish culture and overwhelmingly have liked Irish people, finding them friendly and unpretentious. My point is I didn't the observations from a point of view of malice or ignorance, I can't claim to know as much about Ireland as you but equally, as an outsider perhaps I see some things from a fresher perspective.

I can't argue with that. A Dubliner's idea of the country is very different from most in the rest of the country, though. It's very telling that anywhere outside of Dublin is referred to as "down the country" or "down there", regardless of the place's location on a map, altitude, whatever. Which says it all really.

Dear god, is my vagina really that sandy?


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:30 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Termoid wrote:
Irish often ask why the English mock and makes jokes about the Irish being dim. Its because the Irish have not yet evolved beyond religion whereas the English have. Anyone who follows religion appears primitive to the person who has evolved beyond religion.


That is funniest thing I have read here since Trigg's last spaz out.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:31 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11056
Location: Hull
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Image


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 am
Posts: 28491
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
I haven't heard a straight-up Irish joke in ages. Given how genuinely ubiquitous they used to be in the 80's and early 90's they do seem to have pretty much vanished. I heard Dara O'Briain say a similar thing - they seem to have vanished from mainstream British culture almost overnight.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:36 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11056
Location: Hull
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Sol deleted me from his Facebook friend list because I posted an Irish joke.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 am
Posts: 28491
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
M0)))rf wrote:
thrash everywhere they stayed

Image


Last edited by Painkiller on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:40 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Sol - I'll refrain from quoting you quoting me for simplicity' sake.

I apologise for "country bumpkin" but the phrase does get across that small town, naive perspective very well. The Dubs I know are like this to some extent too, it's not just those from small towns.

I've often thought the "old country" tribalism was a result of generations of Irish diaspora. I also had the smallness of Ireland brought home to me on Christmas Eve in Syney 2002, having dinner with over 30 people, 2 of whom were German, two were Brits and the rest Irish, all interconnected somehow: someone was someone else's cousin, someone else was their boyfriend who went to Uni with someone else who worked with someone else who as going out with the person we started with.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:40 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 am
Posts: 28491
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Dee:

Image


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:42 pm
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 45059
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
M0)))rf wrote:
The recent Irish emigrants, well about 3-5 years ago had a terrible reputation in the US and Australia for being spoilt cunts who would thrash everywhere they stayed and were lazy as fuck and good for nothing.

Yeah, the 'Celtic Tiger' made shit of people, giving them a false sense of entitlement that's fucking them in the arse since.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:43 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Painkiller wrote:
I haven't heard a straight-up Irish joke in ages. Given how genuinely ubiquitous they used to be in the 80's and early 90's they do seem to have pretty much vanished. I heard Dara O'Briain say a similar thing - they seem to have vanished from mainstream British culture almost overnight.


When Alternative Comedy (when it genuinely was alternative) helped kill off the homophobic, misogynist and racist old guard. They looked for new targets, there always have to be "niggers" top look down on, especially in a culture based on snobbery and the petty nastiness fed on repression as Britain (England) is. One of the groups was the Welsh and this seems to have stuck.

It allows "respectable" people, especially those on the left, or those cunts who labour under the misapprehension that they are on the left, to exercise their inherent prejudice, xenophobia, racism, snobbery and general vileness to a disempowered minority while (generally) avoiding accusations of racism. The cunts still think they are God's gift to political correctness and are "really against racism" too.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:50 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 am
Posts: 28491
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
That is a fair point, I suppose that Welsh jokes have replaced Irish jokes as the racism it's okay to make.

Rightfully so.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 pm
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 45059
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Why the sneering attitude towards redheads, that's what I'd like to know. It's a fucking hair colour, why single out 'Gingers' (hard G in both cases)?


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am
Posts: 25945
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Because they are different whilst being white.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 pm
Profile
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am
Posts: 27810
Location: Cunnamulla
Post Re: Introduce Yourself...
Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Sol - I'll refrain from quoting you quoting me for simplicity' sake.

I apologise for "country bumpkin" but the phrase does get across that small town, naive perspective very well. The Dubs I know are like this to some extent too, it's not just those from small towns.


I might take some responsibility here for setting an irreverent tone about it all in the first place. My fault there maybe.

One point I did think while reading your posts on the previous page and this one, Dee, was that Irish people abroad are a different animal than at home. I've seen otherwise reasonable and decent people take on a particularly nauseous nationalism when they go away. Going on about how absolutely wonderful the country is (they probably complained about it when they lived there) and voicing support for the RA and "free the 6 counties" and all that shite. They'd never say things like that in any kind of decent company at home - but abroad it suddenly all comes oozing out. Don't quite know why.

M0)))rf wrote:
[

Ireland has an atmosphere of social recklessness. There's no sense of concerted combined responsibility. A view of "Ah sure you'd do it too if you could get away with it" seems to apply to tax evasion, theft and almost everything here.

100% in agreement with this.


Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:56 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 40  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.