www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - New Star Wars film in 2015. Lucas not writing/directing...
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 New Star Wars film in 2015. Lucas not writing/directing... 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: New Star Wars film in 2015. Lucas not writing/directing.
2 fists

Don't really have a love for the originals to tint my view.

Polished enough with crap plot and paper-thin characters you wouldn't give a fiddlers about otherwise.

Snoake is about the only minorly interesting character and all his bits felt like they were lifted from Marvel universe mega-villian plot moving-along sections.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:42 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Seen the new one three times now.
Love it.

TPM - 2 Fists
AOTC - 2.5 Fists
ROTS - 3.5 Fists
ANH - 5 Fists
TESB - 5 Fists
ROTJ - 4.5 Fists
TFA - 4 Fists

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^3 times? They have made enough money on that fucker man! Go watch Creed or something else instead!

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:11 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
^^3 times? They have made enough money on that fucker man! Go watch Creed or something else instead!

I did. It's ace.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Spiny Norman wrote:
Seen the new one three times now.
Love it.

TPM - 2 Fists
AOTC - 2.5 Fists
ROTS - 3.5 Fists
ANH - 5 Fists
TESB - 5 Fists
ROTJ - 4.5 Fists
TFA - 4 Fists

I can agree with this. And with the general sentiment around. I have also seen it 3 times, the first time on 2D and twice on 3D (because the first time I went to a cinema with SHIT goggles that annoyed the hell out of me). I will go see it a fourth time, definitely, in a couple of weeks.

Minor SPOILERS ahead:
I have a few objections, mainly with how easy the Force came to someone with no prior training and the emo vibe from Ren when he removed the mask (perfect up to that point). I am hoping he will return to badassery in the following films.
Did not mind (much) the lazy script, I think they did that to make sure all old fans would feel at home in a way they never did with the prequels (and they succeeded), safe but effective. The same can be said about the Jakku/Tattoine (sand) worlds and the Starkiller/Hoth (snow) settings.
The two things that actually bothered me enough were that there was no chemistry whatsoever between Fin and Ray and their connection felt VERY enforced (same with the Po and Fin hugs, come on...) and I was not convinced at all. Shame.
Second, Leia and her scenes with Han. Dreadful dialogue and terrible performances (by both, Han was awesome throughout except that scene) and I agree very much with the dude who said Leia should have been MORE... WHEN... That was very poorly done.

Anyway, this movie practically destroyed the prequels. And don't get me started on those. I watched the Phantom Menace at its premiere in Bristol and I came out cussing at Lucas. For MANY reasons. This time around I genuinely enjoyed myself and found myself at many times being genuinely EXCITED like a kid at what I was watching.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I disagree that Clones is better than Menace. Sure it has more action, but it is hands down the worst in the trilogy in terms of acting and dialogue. The whole romantic sub-plot is easily the most terrible thing Lucas has ever done in his entire career.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:22 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Well, it has less Jar Jar, no mention of midichlorians (I HATED Lucas for those two) and a far cooler Obi-Wan (who generally was the saving grace of the prequels really). Of course it had a cringe-worthy romance and that Anakin (...) but what can you do.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Clones is fairly awful but it does have it's saving graces. Those wormy things and the chase through Coruscant, Anakin's revenge on the Sandpeople, the clone army, Obi-Wan vs Jango Fett, Christopher Lee, less Jar Jar, Anakin and Padme on their way to the execution arena (John Williams' score being particularly briliant here) and no midichlorians.

Yes, there's Dexter Jettster, a plodding romance with floating pears, monologues about sand, farting cows and terrible dialogue, some awful comedy (the only time I've really wanted C-3PO to shut up), and that appalling computer game level in the droid factory.

I just feel there's a little more to be salvaged in Clones than Menace.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Again: There is no such film as A New Hope. It's fucking Star Wars.

I'm disappointed in you, Spiny.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:06 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Star Wars 5
Empire 5
Jedi 3.5
Awakens 3/4

The prequels all get 0, the only good thing about them is the score.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:19 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Star Wars: 5/5
The Empire Strikes Back: 5/5
Return Of The Jedi: 4/5
The Phantom Menace: 1.5/5
Attack Of The Clones: 2.5/5
Revenge Of The Sith: 3/5
The Force Awakens: 4/5

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:44 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

^ All correct.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:16 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

^ I'd agree. Though I haven't really seen TPM or AOTC properly, just bits of them.

SPOILERS**************SPOILERS*********SPOILERS********SPOILERS

With regards to the new film, I saw it last night and my rough thoughts are:

Positives:

*The new characters are good, especially BB-8 who is like R2D2's little brother, and Rey. Really great to see a strong female lead character who can fight stormtroopers, pilot spaceships at mind-bending speed, use the Force and laser-duel with the best of them.

*Good to see Han Solo/Leia back

*Some great fight scenes, particularly the lightsaber duel between Rey and Ren at the end.

*Ren's cross shaped lightsaber is very neat.

*The chase sequence where Rey pilots the Falcon through the desert and the ruins of old Star Destroyers evading tie fighters

*The haunting scenes when the giant space cannon destroys the Republic capital and other systems, and from the ground people just see it as small flares in the sky, each encapsulating billions of lives wiped out.

*The images of old Star Destroyers lying wrecked in the desert sands, very evocative

*They used the area round Derwentwater in the Lake District as one of the settings

*Han Solo's death was a genuine "Oh My God!" moment, probably one of the most memorable scenes in all seven films.

Downsides:

*Where do the First Order get the means to fund such a huge military programme from? It's not clear. I know they're founded by technocrats/generals from the old Empire, some of whom were presumably powerful, but there must have been several allies in the galaxy who were sympathetic to the Empire and were willing to fund the creation of a new Dark Side. Also the First Order could perhaps have initially taken over some planets with mineral wealth etc. in order to build up trade and money.

*I'd have liked there to be more details of how the First Order built up their strength. Not an overload, but perhaps some build up rather than 'here's another giant planet destroying laser cannon!' being presented straight out of the box.

*Similarly, it wasn't clear to me what the full extent of the damage to the Republic by the cannon was. Did it simply take out the whole Republic planetary system, or just their capital and main fleet? I think it was the latter and the Republic encompasses far more than just one planetary system, but it wasn't too clear.

*ANOTHER guy with Skywalker lineage turning over to the Dark Side? Seems there's a problem with power issues in that line. It skipped a generation and missed Luke/Leia out, but Anakin's grandson succumbed to it.

*Not sold on the supervillain. I presume he's being projected from somewhere else into the First Order's HQ, hence why he's a giant CGI figure, but he lacks the engimaticness/menace of Palpatine.

* Too many retreads of old ideas. The climax is basically that of A New Hope, but forty years later. Just a bigger space laser, and a rebel base co-ordinating another long-shot X-wing attack on the chinks in the armour. It was good, but I'd have liked something more original than that. I wasn't too bothered by Ren copying Vader's dress style, as people often do that with their influences in military circles. But some shots in the movie were almost exact retreads of bits of the original trilogy.

Overall, though, a good film. I'd place it about third or fourth in the rankings. Not as good as ANH or TESB, but on a par with ROTJ. Jedi has a better plot, but it also has the Ewoks who nearly wreck the film. Force Awakens makes no such errors, but it's a bit too unadventurous at times.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:04 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Again: There is no such film as A New Hope. It's fucking Star Wars.

I'm disappointed in you, Spiny.

It fitted the purpose of the list better, that's all.

I see our ratings aren't too dissimilar. A half fist in either direction for two or three films.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Brofist.jpg

Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:10 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
There is no such film as A New Hope. It's fucking Star Wars.

Absolutely fucking correct.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:21 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

There's already loads of bollocks about Episode VIII and even Episode IX online, I don't give a shit about that but I've just read that Rian Johnson who is directing the next one likes the prequels. In fairness, he may be hedging his bets and not wanting to offend anyone but, y'know fuck him anyway.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:11 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Myrddin wrote:
I've just read that Rian Johnson who is directing the next one likes the prequels.

Well that's a good start! :?

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:01 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

There's no reason to assume he will in any way make it like the prequels but still...

I don't know how much influence Abrams has over the next two but I think he will steer will clear of them, whilst probably continuing to steer to close to the originals.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:56 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

So let's get this straight: the next Star Wars film with Rogue in the title will take place between Episodes III and IV? It's about the plans for the death star right?

I wonder who is playing Leia.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next