www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread MkV
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:04 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499  Next
 Film Thread MkV 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Film Thread MkV
Nicer that Boss Orange?

Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:08 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Not Without My Daughter.

Based on a true story, Sally Field plays a woman who along with her daughter, get tricked into going to Iran with her Iranian husband, only to find that he wants to reside there permanently. Under Sharia Law, which doesn't go down too well.

Whereas I'm sure the lady who actually went through this had a bit of a bad time, the film doesn't really convey much other than a sea of sandstorms and hajibs as well as other Iranian stereotypes. Alfred Molina was good as the dad though.

1 Fist.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:08 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Gleaming The Cube - A film about skateboarding, oh and tracking down the killer of you're adopted Vietnamese brother, and stumbling into a world of criminals gunrunning in the name of ending communism.

A bit tonally all over the place, but to it's credit I never got bored, I think it's pacing may be one of the few things it has going for it.

A young Rodney Mullen doing flatland is another, however pointless a scene it was.

2 or 3 fists, not sure really.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

MegaDave wrote:
Nicer that Boss Orange?

Boss orange is my favourite of the Boss range. But the limited edition Boss Aryan Winter '44 range was rather nice.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:13 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

WATP wrote:
MegaDave wrote:
Nicer that Boss Orange?

Boss orange is my favourite of the Boss range. But the limited edition Boss Aryan Winter '44 range was rather nice.

Totes agree!

Triggmartyr wrote:
Not Without My Daughter.

Based on a true story, Sally Field
1 Fist.

Enough for me to decide it was 1 fist but most likely lower.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:56 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Liked it, but I still can't decide if these low budget indie films are technically garbage. It's like the they just film enough footage of them talking pish and then once they get about 90 minutes of stuff they can use, cut it together into a "film"

Loved this. Comedy highlight being Roberto Begnigni doing the sheep noises.
As much as I love wee Winona and her wee pixie ears, her segment with Gena Rowlands is probably the less goodest of them all.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:54 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I, Madman

After reading a couple of obscure horror novels, Jenny Wright and her lovely bottom (St. Elmo's Fire, Near Dark, Young Guns 2) discovers the killer has come to life and has started cutting bits of people's faces off.
Even though Wright is (was? She hasn't appeared in anything since 1998) hardly the most talented actress in the world, she's still the best on display in this fairly ordinary 1989 slasher flick. The gore scenes are decent enough, the 1950s costumes and set design are great and the suspense is handled very well, but overall it's let down by a plodding pace, some truly terrible acting by the supporting cast, and one of the stupidest stop-motion monsters ever seen.

2 Fists

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Badlands last night as I've finally had it returned to me after a workmate having had it for 7 months.
Days of Heaven this morning, because what else can you follow Badlands with :P

And then Better of Dead after that because there's no where to go from Days of Heaven, so decided to go back to the 80's. I'm yet to see a John Cusack film from the 80's that I've not liked, so I had reasonably high hopes. It was a bit weird but it worked I thought. Kind of a goofy zany coming of age comedy complete with stopmotion cheese burgers playing guitar along to van halen, and some pretty funny failed suicide attempts. Yeah...no for everyone, and reportedly John Cusack hated it, but I dug it. A solid 3 fists.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I've been meaning to revisit Better Off Dead so thanks for reminding me. I loved it as a kid but I don't think i've seen it since the early 90's.

Cusack doesn't hate the film exactly, but he expected it to be better when he first saw it and was annoyed for years when fans of the film would constantly bug him about it. I'm guessing it would have really bugged him in the 90's when he making the successful transition to being a more 'respectable' actor.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:11 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I was just going of the trivia I'd read on IMDB

Quote:
Savage Steve Holland stated in an interview that John Cusack hated this movie and walked out of the film after twenty minutes during a special screening prior to the star of production on One Crazy Summer (1986). Holland said: "The next morning [Cusack] basically walked up to me and was like, 'You know, you tricked me. Better Off Dead... (1985) was the worst thing I have ever seen. I will never trust you as a director ever again, so don't speak to me' . . . He was just really upset. And I said, 'What happened?! What's wrong?!' And he just said that I sucked, and it was the worst thing he had ever seen, and that I had used him, and made a fool out of him, and all this other stuff . . . It was so out of left field that it just floored me". Cusack completed principal photography on One Crazy Summer (1986) due to contractual obligations but it had it not been for this Cusack likely would have not done the second film with Holland.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

What We Do In The Shadows.

Clever and funny.

Clocked in at 85 minutes too.

Result.

4 fists.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:18 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Watched FURY, not bad & the tanks reminded me of Marduk! Off course I thought "Germany" looked too much like England!

Last edited by blacklorre on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:57 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 1

Even though I wasn't expecting to like either of them, the first two Hunger Games were actually rather enjoyable. So when I came to watch this one, my expectations were understandably a little higher than they were previously.
Maybe that's why I've come crashing back down to earth with a bang.
Mockingjay Part 1 is a total waste of everybody's time. There's no story other than what it does to set up Mockingjay Part 2, the whole thing plods along with no urgency, and it doesn't even bother to leave you with a big dramatic cliffhanger. The acting is poor (Donald Sutherland looks as bored as he does unhealthy) and everyone seems to be just going through the motions in what is basically just a 2hr long teaser trailer for the final film.
2 Fists

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (Disney).

Not too bad, some great animation and voice acting. Differs to the book for obvious reasons. Not as dark as The Black Cauldron but is just as good.

Four Fists.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:12 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Watched The Enigma Of Kaspar Hauser last night, enjoyed it. Based on a true story, a seemingly 'simple' man (16 year old boy, supposedly, though the actor protraying him looked to be in his mid-30s) is abandoned in the middle of a 19th century city, with little explanation of who he is, where he came from or why he's there. Passed the time nicely, as with every Herzog film it's beautifully shot and paced. I swear, Bruno S. (the star) is Crom's dad.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:36 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Looking forward to Chappie, the follow up to District 9 (which had too many plotholes) and cos it features Yolandi from Die Antwoord.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:08 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

My recent stuff from letterboxd:

The Secret In Their Eyes- A retired legal Counselor writes a novel hoping to find closure for one of his past unresolved homicide cases and for his unreciprocated love with his superior - both of which still haunt him decades later.

TSITE is a mystery, a tale of corruption, and a love story which manges to succeed at all three almost seamlessly. It's hard to say why this film is so good. It's told in two timelines where we see the murder mystery played out in the past, and in the present where the main character Esposito has gone back to piece together what happened. The performances are really good and while it's not overly complicated I don't feel that the film holds your hand.

I do feel that the ending to the mystery is well earned and while in a lot of other films the last scene would be a little saccharine, you are invested enough in the two leads that you're happy.

Well worth it's Academy Award, even though it was up against two other great films in The White Ribbon and A Prophet.

The Babadook- A single mother, plagued by the violent death of her husband, battles with her son's fear of a monster lurking in the house, but soon discovers a sinister presence all around her.

I purposely avoided watching this til the hype has died down a little bit. Does The Babadook deserve all the praise it has gotten, in short fuck no but it does has enough going on to just about make it worth a watch. First of all, it gets praise for not resorting to jump scares and for trying to create an atmosphere of dread. The main performance from Essie Davis is also pretty solid and is easily the best thing about it.

There is a lot that I found problematic, the Samuel character is so annoying and to be honest if his mother had strangled him within the first 5 minutes I wouldn't have cared. It's suggested quite strongly that he has mental problems, if so then he should have had professional help long before the age he is now, and if he's just a bit of a bastard then his mum is basically a bad parent who is letting him get away with doing whatever he wants to.

I have to say, I didn't find The Babadook scary at any point, when it's all said and done it's a character from a pop up book, there's only so much suspension of disbelief I can manage. Even after this, I was still ready to give this film a pass until the end where it goes off the rails.

SPOILERS BELOW:

Are we supposed to accept that this big scary monster who has terrified this family, is placated by being kept in the basement with a bowl of fucking worms!!?? You couldn't come up with a parody as stupid as that.

I know I'm very much in the minority but The Babadook isn't that great and I doubt I'll revisit it.

Cold In July- When a protective father meets a murderous ex-con, both need to deviate from the path they are on as they soon find themselves entangled in a downwards spiral of lies and violence while having to confront their own inner psyche.

Rewatch of this film from last year and it's still a very good genre piece. I like how it is almost 3 short films put together as the focus shifts onto different characters. Michael C. Hall is great in the lead, Sam Shepard does grizzled better than most and Don Johnson seems to be from a completely different film but steals a lot of scenes even though he's not in it for quite a while.

Jim Mickle knows how to play in genre and while he's not reinventing the wheel CIJ is a good addition to the recent Southern crime genre of recent times. A great retro Carpenter type score as well.

A bit unfortunate that it came out the same year as The Guest and Blue Ruin, but all three back to back would be a great evening.

Selma- A chronicle of Martin Luther King's campaign to secure equal voting rights via an epic march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama in 1965.

I'm not sure how a story so inherently interesting has been managed to be filmed so that it's pretty dull. As most people have recognized, David Oyelowo is great in the lead and the acting in general is pretty impressive. Unfortunately the acting is let down by the film-making, the slow motion sequences during the parts of violence are bordering on cringe worthy and wouldn't look out of place in a big budget TV movie. A couple of years ago, a lot of people had a problem with Lincoln being mainly about men in rooms talking a lot and Selma suffers the same problems, it seems the dialogue is just there to fill time before the set pieces.

The story is important and it's great that it's been told, I'm afraid Ava DuVerney was the wrong choice to make it. Anyone who thinks she was "snubbed" for a best Director nomination is crazy.

http://letterboxd.com/cynical_boner/

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:51 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

blacklorre wrote:
it features Yolandi from Die Antwoord.

Something just dawned on me.
I've never actually heard Die Antwoord.

Well, after a little Youtube shuffle, I must say that they are quite impressive. Impressive in that they're not only absolute dogshit to listen to, but they're spectacularly irritating to watch as well.

File under None Of My Business.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I don't mind them. Some of their songs are definitely shit though.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:14 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I like die antwoord, I like scooter, oh and ninja from DA is in chappie too.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:59 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499  Next