www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Warhammer, General Role Playing and Fantasy Discussion
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Warhammer, General Role Playing and Fantasy Discussion 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Warhammer, General Role Playing and Fantasy Discussion
Was going to make the thread solely about role playing but thought I'd expand it to Fantasy in general to make it more inclusive. Still hoping for a an infinity level Warhammer Geek Off with Shallow, PK, TotW and anyone else interested though.

I used to play/read/be obsessed with the Warhammer Fantasy Role Play from the age from the age of about 10 to 13/14. I have the rule book, all of The Enemy Within, Doomstones and various other campaigns including the Restless Dead and other supplementary material. I used to subscribe to White Dwarf from about 1988 to 1991ish, I stopped reading it because the amount of WHFRP stuff began to severely decline.

It's still my main conception of a "Fantasy" world, moreso than Tolkien or any other source. I also read several of the early novels and short story collections - Beasts In Velvet, Drachenfels, The Konrad trilogy, Wolf Riders etc. Was less interested in the futuristic settings of Warhammer 40,000 and even now generally prefer "olde worlde" type Fantasy to Sci-Fi, though of course the re is much overlap and I currently actually prefer "urban Fantasy" fiction.

I still have several Fighting Fantasy books which are occasional toilet reading on trips back to my parents. I also had Steve Jackson's Titan and Out of the Pit, which were a half-cocked attempt at a D&D/WH type scenario.

Never got into Call of Cthulhu as I didn't like Fantasy set in the "real" World ay the time. Also, I think it was on the wane by the time I got into Warhammar etc, was never fussed on Dark Future or Blood Bowl either. Never explored D&D/AD&D as had my time and cash fully taxed with Warhammer.

I've always loved mysteries, magic and monsters which is what drew me to Fantasy as a child and also to Fortean matters. I also loved the fact that you could explore a world so thoroughly through role playing, in a way you can't with fiction. I also loved knowing the logistics about the way the world functioned, to an extent that does undermine the sense of Romance and wonder you get from Fantasy but that didn't bother me as a kid. Nowadays, I'm far more interested in storytelling, atmosphere and the experience of otherness from Fantasy. I still occasionally flick though my old Warhammer books, will never spend much time looking at them but am too attached to them to sell them or give them away.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:28 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: Warhammer, General Role Playing and Fantasy Discussion
Lol you are a gay.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:48 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:52 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The undead's make-up's pretty good, but the acolytes are wearing those shit joke-shop masks that let the side down quite a lot. The undead's in Norton Armouries armour - light-weight but detailed-looking armour made of compressed card. Opinions are divided on its use - some purists are completely against it because it's not "real", which I think is silly as we use foam weapons, but on the other hand it is a bit fucking ridiculous when a fat knight in full harness is jumping around like ToTW in a Calvin & Hobbes jumper.

Last edited by Painkiller on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:08 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I'm also pretty sure I've met the fat sorceror on the right of the picture.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:09 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:

Is this Rob Darken's backing band?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:09 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Painkiller wrote:
I'm also pretty sure I've bummed the fat sorcerer on the right of the picture.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I thought that was clearly implied.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:42 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Just thought I'd make sure.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

That was the face he did, too.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:45 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Before, after or during?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Yes.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:49 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Okay. Let’s get nerdy nerdy.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
I used to play/read/be obsessed with the Warhammer Fantasy Role Play from the age from the age of about 10 to 13/14. I have the rule book, all of The Enemy Within, Doomstones and various other campaigns including the Restless Dead and other supplementary material. I used to subscribe to White Dwarf from about 1988 to 1991ish, I stopped reading it because the amount of WHFRP stuff began to severely decline.

I’m afraid I never had the opportunity to get into WHFRP – you’re a bit older than I am, and it was a little before my time. I got into Games Workshop stuff in 1993, and stayed with it all the way up until I quit my job with the company in 2007. My actual hands-on involvement with the hobby waned when I was a student between 2000 and 2003, but I still managed to collect every issue of White Dwarf published in those fourteen years. I want to be able to say that “I have complete run of White Dwarf from issue 160 to issue 267”, but I was rummaging just the other week and I was distressed to find that my first hundred issues have mysteriously vanished. I was surprisingly gutted – at one point there was a lot of awesome stuff in the magazine that never made it into the games themselves.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
It's still my main conception of a "Fantasy" world, moreso than Tolkien or any other source.

Absolutely this. Even now it pretty much remains the standard by which I judge all other fantasy universes, and this is the reason why so many of them seem so enormously wet.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
I also read several of the early novels and short story collections - Beasts In Velvet, Drachenfels, The Konrad trilogy, Wolf Riders etc.

I own all of the original Warhammer novels and anthologies. I have an original GW Books pressing of Wolf Riders, I have the nineties Boxtree editions of Ignorant Armies, Red Thirst, Warblade, Drachenfels, Beasts in Velvet and Genevieve Undead, and I plugged the gaps in my collection with the Black Library reprints of Konrad, Shadowbreed, Zaragoz, Plague Daemon and Storm Warriors.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
I still have several Fighting Fantasy books

The only one I still have is a low-quality modern re-print of Starship Traveller, but my local library at the tome was incredibly well-stocked with these at the time, and I believe I at least attempted over fifty of the original fifty-nine books. My favourite ones were the narrative-heavy ones like Keep of the Lich Lord and Night Dragon, and I was rather less keen on the more inconsistent game-heavy ones like Citadel of Chaos and Creature of Havoc. The latter one especially I found to be nightmarishly difficult, and never completed.

My preference for a strong narrative element meant that I preferred Joe Dever’s Lone Wolf books to Fighting Fantasy. I still have all twenty-eight of these.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
I also had Steve Jackson's Titan and Out of the Pit, which were a half-cocked attempt at a D&D/WH type scenario.

These were the companion volumes to the three-book Advanced Fighting Fantasy series – Dungeoneer, Blacksand! and Allansia. I still have all five volumes. I actually tried to play through the first adventure in Dungeoneer with a bunch of secondary school acquaintances, but they were all far too cool for my geeky pursuits and the campaign collapsed after only two lunchtime sessions. I maintain that they really missed out – while Dungeoneer contains a pair of rather by-numbers dungeon bashes (apart from a couple of extremely memorable encounters), the much longer adventure in Blacksand! was fucking great. Allansia was less interesting, but it did include a particular incident with a manticore that could have been comedy gold if handled properly by a clever GM.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Never explored D&D/AD&D as had my time and cash fully taxed with Warhammer.

Absolutely this. GW’s indoctrination programme is extremely effective.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Was less interested in the futuristic settings of Warhammer 40,000… was never fussed on Dark Future or Blood Bowl either.

I got into the hobby with the second edition Warhammer 40,000 boxed game when it was released in 1993. I had a Space Wolves army then, and I still had one when I effectively quit the hobby in 2007. I never played Dark Future as it was before my time, but I still have the anthology and all five of the novels – Route 666 (the anthology), the standalone Ghost Dancers, and the Jack Yeovil/Kim Newman-penned Krokodil Tears, Demon Download, Comeback Tour and Route 666 (the novel). I remain gutted that the final book of that series – United States Cavalry – was never written. I played Blood Bowl a grand total of once, in GW Stoke some time in the mid-nineties. It was fun, but it was too “silly” and insufficiently grimdark to hold my attention.

In addition to my Warhammer 40,000 Space Wolves, I had Enforcer and Escher gangs for Necromunda (a skirmish game with forces of about a dozen models, set in a wretched hive of scum and villainy in the 40K universe), and a Radical warband for Inquisitor (a 54mm almost-roleplaying game, also set in the 40K universe). I also started a Chaos Warrior army for Warhammer itself, but I’d only managed to complete three units for that by the time that I quit.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
I've always loved mysteries, magic and monsters which is what drew me to Fantasy as a child and also to Fortean matters. I also loved the fact that you could explore a world so thoroughly through role playing, in a way you can't with fiction. I also loved knowing the logistics about the way the world functioned

Agreed. There is a great deal of satisfaction to being able to see the wiring under the board.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
I'm far more interested in storytelling, atmosphere and the experience of otherness from Fantasy.

This has always been my problem. One of the reasons why I fell out of love with “GW culture” long before I quit the company was that the games were sold with a strong tournament and competition angle that just encouraged beardiness and rules-lawyering, while I was always far more interested in using the games as a narrative medium in which to explore the background worlds which I loved so much – I never cared whether I won or lost as long as a compelling story unfolded on the tabletop in front of me. It is, I think, indicative of the problem with the GW mindset that they refer to all the published material which aren’t rules as “fluff”.

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
I still occasionally flick though my old Warhammer books, will never spend much time looking at them but am too attached to them to sell them or give them away.

I still have every single Games Workshop rule or background book I have ever owned, including three different editions of 40K and two of Warhammer. I was going through them just the other day, and they make a pile about two feet high. It isn’t going anywhere, trust me.

You know those armies/gangs/warbands I mentioned above – Space Wolves, Chaos Warriors, Enforcers, Eschers, Radicals? I still have all of these. They’re packed carefully away in their cases in my wardrobe. I’m unlikely to ever play a large-scale game again, but I invested a lot of time and love into those fucking things, and it’s nice to take them out sometimes and reminisce. For a couple of weeks now I have been engaged in a project to photograph them all and post the images to Facebook, for the benefit of the no-few friends I have who are still into it in one way or another.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:03 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Anybody here played the board game Zombies? It's rather fun.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Once, I think. I don't really remember much about it, and I think I was the only person present who wasn't pilled out of their heads.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:27 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Okay then, if it's going to stop Queen Dee throwing another strop...

I suppose my earliest introduction to make-believe was my dad buying me Warlock Of Firetop Mountain on a family holiday to Wales when I was about 6-8. I didn't really understand the game but was really intrigued by the pictures and general feel of it, and just felt like there was something there. As I got older I got quite into those kind of game-books, collecting several series of them (though Fighting Fantasy remained my favourites).

In secondary school I became aware of roleplaying through D&D and WFRP, but never really got properly into either - I messed around with WFRP especially, but we were shit and didn't really know what we were doing, and it never really clicked. My first miniature-based game was Space Hulk - which I initially played by myself because my friends were all into computer games and thought it was gay - but around 13-15 I started hanging around with even geekier people and got seriously into 40K for a bit. I really enjoyed the world background and the aesthetics of it, but the game itself was never anything but a massive disappointment, and I decided to leave the entire fantasy thing behind at about 16 in the hope that girls would have sex with me. Unfortunately, my idea of being more cool was to get into Metal and start wearing Slayer shirts - something which not only didn't have me drowning in clunge, but I now see was not quite as far removed from Warhammer as I thought.

The fantasy thing was always a sort of secret love at the back of my mind, then, but I didn't actually really "get" it until University, when I discovered purely by accident that a couple of people I knew a bit did this stupid thing where they dressed up and pretended to be goblins or something. They dragged me along to a small system in Exeter called Shadow Lands, which was confusing, embarrassing and honestly pretty shit, but again as with Warlock Of Firetop Mountain as a kid I knew there was something there. I went along to a big fest-event called The Gathering (which is essentially a music festival without the music, and with fat mongs in very poor quality kit hitting each other with foam sticks), and althought it was also really shit, I was able to see why it was shit, and how different it would have to be to be good.

Around that time I also started to play tabletop roleplaying for the first time since aborted WFRP games as a kid. We messed around with different systems - the various White Wolf games, Ars Magica, Deadlands, SLA Industries, Cyberpunk, In Nomine - and I realised that what I really enjoyed about fantasy games wasn't killing orcs or having the highest number of Hit Points, but pretending to be someone else and trying to emulate their reactions and responses to things. Creating a character, thinking through his background and experiences, and trying to react honestly to different situations as him. I carried that discovery through into Live Roleplaying, where going to smaller systems allowed me to fuck around with it more and meet people who had a similar idea. My first proper system was a small one called Shards (which still exists, but is completely different these days) which mostly ran in Candlestone Scout Camp just outside Newport - I played that regularly for about three years, and met most of the people I still roleplay with today. When we eventually drifted away from Shards over various issues we tried out lots of different systems - I've played all of the big LRP systems in Britain and lots of the smaller ones, and LRP is as insular as any horrible group of soulless nerds should be.

These days I don't actually do much LRP - I still really enjoy it, but I can't be arsed with commercial systems and the bullshit that you inevitably get with groups of roleplayers, so generally just play very small custom-made systems run by and for like-minded friends (the most recent and probably best of these being a trilogy of Lovecraftian 1930's Horror games run in National Trust houses by a friend of mine for a group of six people, one of the higlights of which was a full sized rubber alien cadaver filled with goo and plastic bits that we got to perform an autopsy on using scalpels). I still do a fair amount of tabletop, but again it's almost exclusively home-brew systems and creator-owned universes (with the exception of a gleefully small-scale 40K game with a mate of mine runs in which we play PDF troopers). Warhammer is something I have a fair amount of nostalgia for, but aside from the books of Dan Abnett it's a relic of my childhood, and doesn't really bear much resemblance to what I actually enjoy - which is either making up a world and then letting people act like twats in it, or acting like a twat in a world which someone else has made up.

Now someone lock this thread. And then gas it.

Last edited by Painkiller on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Fhil wrote:
Anybody here played the board game Zombies? It's rather fun.

It's alright, but not my kind of thing. I've got mates who are into that stuff (and even more horrific, awful stuff like Munchkin, which is a game that is only played in the very worst company), but pretending to be someone else and acting like a twat is what I like, not collecting cardboard bullet tokens.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Also, Dee, is your avatar a fucking spoiler for Adventure Time?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:55 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Not really, I nearly used a different one but it's not really spoiling anything.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:46 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Apart from the fact that Billy clearly gets possessed by The Lich at some point. Perhaps "spoiler" is a bit strong, but still - you're a cunt.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next