www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Warhammer, General Role Playing and Fantasy Discussion
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Warhammer, General Role Playing and Fantasy Discussion 
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Post Re: Warhammer, General Role Playing and Fantasy Discussion
The Golden Fang wrote:
I was about to quip that it would be Varg's favourite game, then saw the link to ancestralcult.com. That little tinker, he gets everywhere.

He has been making this game I think for years

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:03 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Hard to tell from the brief descriptions there, but it sounds like the mechanics could get quite fussy and intrusive, especially the advancement system and what sounds like a needlessly complicated alignment system (alignments are shit anyway). Being able to neutralise a wizard by giving him a makeover is a quite nice touch, though. I suspect Varg doesn't know as much about how to actually do this as he thinks, and is basically just writing another essay about his idealised European culture that never really existed, this time in a different form.

I'm going to use my axe of +5 racism and my Boots of Holocaust Denial.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:08 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

And it's got a GM screen! Fucking hell, Varg, get out of the early 80s and join us. This and the fact that he actually uses Rolemaster as a source of comparison in the intro makes it pretty clear that he isn't aware of the fact that roleplaying has developed since he was a kid.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:20 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Late 80's/early 90's RPG's were the best, quite frankly.
Everything was more interesting when it was more in depth and less simple.
Simplification makes it boring.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:58 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Depends what you're simplifying, really. Having 25 different dice tables for random encounter resolution does not make for a deeper or more detailed game, just a more fiddly one.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:46 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

They wern't necessarily the best just because they were the Golden Years. Certainly a lot of inventive stuff was going on in that period, but there's a hell of a lot of creative stuff going on in the tabletop indie world now with the advent of crowdsourcing via things like Kickstarter.

There's also the surgence of digital table-top gaming, with the ability to create your own or purchase models and set-pieces made by illustrators or 3D Modellers which is interesting and can only get better with better video conferencing and so on.

It also depends on the type of player you are, if you dig all the maths that's cool but I found that part shit and boring. I only cared about the adventure and RPing and crudely sketching out what my character looked like, and seeing the maps the DM had painstakingly drawn up, or even the overmap if it was a far reaching campaign.

So not the best just different.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:31 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Most of the best games I've ever played have been with home-brew or heavily modded systems anyway. I think when you're first getting roleplaying there's a feeling that the more skills, stats, feats and powers you have codified the better, but with experience you realise how much of that stuff can be handled by roleplaying. I'm not saying that system isn't important - clearly it is - but it's about getting a system that fits the game and encourages the right amount of collaboration between GM and players. More rules and stats do not necessarily make for a better system - some of the best games I've played have limited conflict resolution simply to two numbered stats, a series of randomly-drawn cards and one occasion a game of Jenga.

YES THIS IS SERIOUS

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:40 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

I still like DnD v2.5 even though the Thac0 system can get very puzzling.

But the RPG of choice these days is Black Crusade where I'm a psychic obese pig man with an ability to read the future through my feaces.

Also like Boardgames ala Last Night on Earth, the Kthulu one whose name escapes me, Talisman, Bloodbowl Team Manager, Spartacus etc etc.

As for 40K, it doesn't really do it for me today. The rule set has evolved into special rules retardation since V3 but especially since V5.

Prefer historical games ala Battlegroup Kursk, Flames of War, Fields Of Glory and Force on Force. I'm just painting up a few Taliban and Aussies (Task Force Bruce).

Though Necromunda and Bloodbowl still kick arse!

Yeah I'm a nerd.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:01 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

It looks like my roleplaying club is going to go ahead very soon - one of the Science teachers sent out an email yesterday about interest for running a D&D club, so we're going to do it together. We met up to discuss it today, and I was slightly surprised to learn that she knows fuck all about roleplaying apart from D&D (the equivalent of someone who's really into Metallica but knows no other bands), but she's enthusiastic and I'm actually quite excited. Going into Forbidden Planet tomorrow to buy armfuls of 4th ed. D&D books (wouldn't normally be my kind of thing, but it's a simple gate-way system designed to step into easily, the material is easily available for kids who want to get keen and buy books).

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:11 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

So you're going to groom the autistic children?

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:14 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Autistic children > Fat children

Though, to be fair, there is a lot of crossover.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:46 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

This evening I am listening to The Sound of Warhammer 40,000, a compilation album divided into three one-disc "chapters".

Bolt Thrower this is not. It's not even sodding D-Rok.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:50 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

What's on it?

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:51 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE, THERE IS ONLY BISEXUAL OILED-UP GERMANS IN PVC PANTS PILLING THEIR TITS OFF IN A WAREHOUSE BASEMENT.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:57 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Yikes. Of course, we all know that the REAL sound of Warhammer 40K is a thirty year old virgin with facial piercings acting like Fonzie to a room full of 11 year old boys because he knows the exact blast-radius of a Terminator Cyclone.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:01 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Half an inch per missile in the salvo, so 6" maximum.

This is the second track on disc one. Glowsticks, poppers and KY Jelly at the ready:

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:15 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Fucking hell.

Mali is now making a mental note to go to Games Workshop.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:39 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

He'll need a time machine. That compilation was available for about a month at or just before the turn of the millennium. I believe this was the last time GW attempted to provide their own soundtrack.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:47 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Played my first game of Force on Force on Saturday.

I controlled Taliban child soldiers and a mate had the A Team (or Operational Detachment Alpha in formal military parlance).

Mission was for A-Team to rescue a pilot whose jet suffered a malfunction and went down.

Suffice to say that maybe we should've kept the mission parametres the same - we switched out US Marines for the Spec Ops.

Turns out 40 Taliban child soldiers v 12 A-Team Spec ops is a recipe for disaster. 38 dead Taliban kiddies later and the A Team is back at base drinking a few brewksis with only a couple of guys in hospital.

It was good fun though. Great system and it really captures modern warfare well.

It's kinda like Full Spectrum Warrior on the tabletop.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:20 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Shallowthing wrote:
IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE, THERE IS ONLY BISEXUAL OILED-UP GERMANS IN PVC PANTS PILLING THEIR TITS OFF IN A WAREHOUSE BASEMENT.

Laughed heartily at this. Having been to one of those kinda raves in Berlin. Good time. Didn't get bummed thankfully. I count it as a good night.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next