www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Twitter... is it worth it?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Twitter... is it worth it? 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Twitter... is it worth it?
I know what it is, what it does etc, but I still struggle to really see the point unless you're famous.

I'm being encouraged to set one up as a "professional", every other bit of professional advice on out there at the moment is that you should have a "social media presence" as it builds up networking opportunities and can improve career opportunities but 1 - who the fuck would follow me. I'm lucky to get 5 likes and a couple of responses to facebook status updates 2 - what would I say on there? 3 - how would it differ to facebook?

I honestly don't get the point, unless you're following people who actually have interesting things to say (and I say famous above, but really couldn't give a shit what Hulk Hogan or Wayne Rooney has to say about anything).

So... anyone other than TomWode use it? And is it beneficial? Does it have a point? Does it have to? (and Tom this doesn't discount you from being able to reply!)

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:03 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Twitter... is it worth it?
I never used to see a point to it but I use it more than FB now. Have met many contacts and people through using it even before I got serious about illustration and drawing. So yes. It's also entertaining and twitter is a great way to keep up to date on news as it happens too.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:10 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Steev, for professional presence it is linkedin. Twitter is too much of a minefield

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:12 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Have just signed up to linkedin - it's better than I thought it'd be, but is as much a tool for keeping professional contacts in one place as anything, but then I've not started chipping in on any groups and/or conversations yet, keeping a wary distance before plunging in on that sort of thing - and everyone on there keeps saying to get a twitter account... well, all the articles do anyway

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:16 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Fuck the articles. Linkedin has got worse since facebook brought them out, but it was essentially for headhunters, recruitment and gradually making connections. Just stivk to the golden rule of only accepting people you have worked with

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:19 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

It's not worth shite. It's a pile of fucking poo along with smartphones, facebook and sci fi.
Thank you.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:30 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Admiral Steev wrote:
every other bit of professional advice on out there at the moment is that you should have a "social media presence" as it builds up networking opportunities

Twitter encourages the worst sort of frothy, reductive, narcissistic, self-promotional groupthink banality that is stifling art and debate and turning us all into witless self-absorbed dilettantes with a three second attention span.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:32 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I take it you don't have a twitter account then, Chris?

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:35 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Twitter is what you make of it, as with any social network. If you don't like it or don't want to use it then don't but it serves a purpose and a requirement and to me it's definitely helped me get work. But then I'm in a creative industry and Linkedin while I'm on it isn't really for me.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:41 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Oh I do, I twitted a thing about the Maxichoc. I couldn't and didn't want to get my round all the bullshit bollocky sinister newspeak, retweet@hashtagsTrending:InnocentPeopleWeFinkArePaedophiles.co/twitpic.xgc, fuck yourself.

NB: Image

Yes, it's a rip-off of the Maxibon, but almost as nice and produced by New Forest Ice Creams, so you're actually more likely to find it in shops round my way and it benefits the local economy. Why the British market hasn't got ape-crazy for the Maxibon I've no idea, it's a fuckin work of art.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:42 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Tom Of The Wode wrote:
Twitter is what you make of it, as with any social network. If you don't like it or don't want to use it then don't but it serves a purpose and a requirement and to me it's definitely helped me get work. But then I'm in a creative industry and Linkedin while I'm on it isn't really for me.

This looks about right to me.

The guys I do archaeology for have found Twitter to be hugely useful in promoting the Eastbourne Ancestors project they are doing, as it's a route to gain exposure that they have utilised well. People like Alice Roberts have contacted them over it, and so on.

I never use my personal account I set up years ago, as it's just pointless for me, but I have accounts for both Sabazius and Sea Bastard, and they have proved a very useful way to communicate with people that might not use facebook, which is generally both bands most prevalent way of having an online presence.

So, Steev, maybe don't rely on it, but as Tom says, if you can utilise it in conjunction with other things, it's an extra tool you can use. Up until the band accounts, I totally agreed with Chantler!

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:32 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chantler wrote:
Twitter encourages the worst sort of frothy, reductive, narcissistic, self-promotional groupthink banality that is stifling art and debate and turning us all into witless self-absorbed dilettantes with a three second attention span.

TL;DR

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Chantler wrote:
The printing press will turn the masses against ye king!

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:24 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
Chantler wrote:

TL;DR

I was half way through counting the characters when I noticed this, :lol:, Chantler's right though.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:30 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I don't use Twitter myself, but I know people who've had good results using it professionally. My biggest objection to it is actually the fact that Channel 4 have now taking to printing tweated comments about the current show during the advertising breaks for that show - so now Cocksmoker from Fleet can tell the entire country that "lol he iz a leggend!11!1" during the break for The Boy With Two Arses. We are part of a society which values the act of sharing an opinion more than the actual content of it.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:59 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I think it's worth it just to read Charlie Brookers tweets alone.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:07 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

FaceFuck reduced to statuses alone. Some people probably suit it, not me though.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:11 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Less dickishness on it than FB, less people prone to post every personal detail of their life too.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:15 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

i use it a lot ,never post on it just follow people i am interested in ,mainly cyclists,its good .

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:30 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I don't really get the hashtag thing either, but then, I'm old and out of touch.

Although I'm not on it I do follow Andy Falkous of Future Of The Left. The guy wipes the floor with almost every comedian in Britain atm. "Currently celebrating Axl Rose's 50th birthday by staring fixedly at a rotting apple core."

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next