www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Learning a new language
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:55 pm



Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Learning a new language 
Author Message
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 pm
Posts: 8683
Post Re: Learning a new language
ketusmondai wrote:
He helps you understand the importance of grammer while hardly ever getting technical about it, i.e using your own intuitive understanding of English grammer as an guide.

Definitely the more you understand of English grammar the easier it is to understand it in another language. This is why the British are so fucking bad at languages - well there's several reasons - but it's insane that grammar isn't taught in British schools. Kids reading Shakespeare without knowing what a past participle is is a stupid state of affairs.

It's also why it's easier to learn one foreign language if you've learned another, I think - your brain doesn't change in any amazing way, you just get better at recognising and rationalising grammar. That's my experience anyway.

Andrew, if you do want to try a French radio station, I recommend France Inter - they do loads of podcasts too, their daily 'news story of the day' Inter Actif is good. There was an amazing episode of it where they interviewed Boris Johnson (who speaks good French, but in Boris Johnson's voice - hilarious). They had a phone-in from a fruity sounding lady who seemed basically to be trying to chat him up.

OLP: That should be 'le le le le le', as 'la' is the feminine.

_________________
Guardian-reading Fairtrade coffee-drinking bollocks


Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 am
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:47 pm
Posts: 3176
Location: wigan
Post Re: Learning a new language
Well my plan after reading this thread is buying the books you recommend to me ,but the podcast is also a very good idea .


Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:58 pm
Posts: 15202
Location: The wrong side of 50....... just
Post Re: Learning a new language
Ed Blackadder wrote:
OLP: That should be 'le le le le le', as 'la' is the feminine.


Image

_________________
Image


Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:01 am
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 5190
Post Re: Learning a new language
Ed Blackadder wrote:
ketusmondai wrote:
He helps you understand the importance of grammer while hardly ever getting technical about it, i.e using your own intuitive understanding of English grammer as an guide.

Definitely the more you understand of English grammar the easier it is to understand it in another language. This is why the British are so fucking bad at languages - well there's several reasons - but it's insane that grammar isn't taught in British schools. Kids reading Shakespeare without knowing what a past participle is is a stupid state of affairs.


Very valid point Ed - my own experience of not being taught more than basic grammar in elementary school and then forever playing catchup after that, agrees with you. It was harder than it should have been for me to learn French such as I did (which was piss poor), because I DID have to work backward and try to understand concepts like past participles....or nouns.


Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:43 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:34 pm
Posts: 2633
Post Re: Learning a new language
The thing is, you do understand grammer, you just don't know what all the names for different tenses are. We instinctively learn it as toddlers. English has lots of irregular verbs, that you use without even noticing. I am, you are, he is, are from the verb to be!?! Unless you are Moth, in which case, I be, we be, you be are all fine. Once you get your head around the common irregular verbs and the basic pattern of regular verbs you can progress very quickly.

Don't worry about learning loads of nouns. You can always point and say "it". Study to be, to want, to have, to like, to go and you're away.


Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:53 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:34 pm
Posts: 2633
Post Re: Learning a new language
Ed Blackadder wrote:
OLP: That should be 'le le le le le', as 'la' is the feminine.


I was going to say "Ooh la la, I'm not listening", but you got in first.


Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:54 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 5190
Post Re: Learning a new language
ketusmondai wrote:
The thing is, you do understand grammer, you just don't know what all the names for different tenses are. We instinctively learn it as toddlers. English has lots of irregular verbs, that you use without even noticing. I am, you are, he is, are from the verb to be!?! Unless you are Moth, in which case, I be, we be, you be are all fine. Once you get your head around the common irregular verbs and the basic pattern of regular verbs you can progress very quickly.

Don't worry about learning loads of nouns. You can always point and say "it". Study to be, to want, to have, to like, to go and you're away.


All good points Ketus. I be agreeing with you. No, I just sound like a pirate.


Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:55 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11056
Location: Hull
Post Re: Learning a new language
I want to learn German. Can anyone recommend any teach yourself kits?


Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:47 pm
Posts: 3176
Location: wigan
Post Re: Learning a new language
German would be handy for picking up sailors on the docks of Hull when the Hamburg ships dock .


Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:40 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:34 pm
Posts: 2633
Post Re: Learning a new language
Termoid wrote:
I want to learn German. Can anyone recommend any teach yourself kits?

Michel Thomas has a German course to, although I didn't really manage to learn German with it, so either it isn't as good, or German is harder than Spanish.

Ich kann ein bischen Deutche sprechen.


Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:58 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 11056
Location: Hull
Post Re: Learning a new language
andrew wrote:
German would be handy for picking up sailors on the docks of Hull when the Hamburg ships dock .


Most foreign sailors in Hull are Russian.


Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:47 pm
Posts: 3176
Location: wigan
Post Re: Learning a new language
Never knew that ,just assumed they would be Dutch and German .


Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.