www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Learning a new language
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Learning a new language 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Learning a new language
ketusmondai wrote:
He helps you understand the importance of grammer while hardly ever getting technical about it, i.e using your own intuitive understanding of English grammer as an guide.

Definitely the more you understand of English grammar the easier it is to understand it in another language. This is why the British are so fucking bad at languages - well there's several reasons - but it's insane that grammar isn't taught in British schools. Kids reading Shakespeare without knowing what a past participle is is a stupid state of affairs.

It's also why it's easier to learn one foreign language if you've learned another, I think - your brain doesn't change in any amazing way, you just get better at recognising and rationalising grammar. That's my experience anyway.

Andrew, if you do want to try a French radio station, I recommend France Inter - they do loads of podcasts too, their daily 'news story of the day' Inter Actif is good. There was an amazing episode of it where they interviewed Boris Johnson (who speaks good French, but in Boris Johnson's voice - hilarious). They had a phone-in from a fruity sounding lady who seemed basically to be trying to chat him up.

OLP: That should be 'le le le le le', as 'la' is the feminine.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Well my plan after reading this thread is buying the books you recommend to me ,but the podcast is also a very good idea .

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:01 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
ketusmondai wrote:
He helps you understand the importance of grammer while hardly ever getting technical about it, i.e using your own intuitive understanding of English grammer as an guide.

Definitely the more you understand of English grammar the easier it is to understand it in another language. This is why the British are so fucking bad at languages - well there's several reasons - but it's insane that grammar isn't taught in British schools. Kids reading Shakespeare without knowing what a past participle is is a stupid state of affairs.

Very valid point Ed - my own experience of not being taught more than basic grammar in elementary school and then forever playing catchup after that, agrees with you. It was harder than it should have been for me to learn French such as I did (which was piss poor), because I DID have to work backward and try to understand concepts like past participles....or nouns.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:43 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The thing is, you do understand grammer, you just don't know what all the names for different tenses are. We instinctively learn it as toddlers. English has lots of irregular verbs, that you use without even noticing. I am, you are, he is, are from the verb to be!?! Unless you are Moth, in which case, I be, we be, you be are all fine. Once you get your head around the common irregular verbs and the basic pattern of regular verbs you can progress very quickly.

Don't worry about learning loads of nouns. You can always point and say "it". Study to be, to want, to have, to like, to go and you're away.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:53 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:

I was going to say "Ooh la la, I'm not listening", but you got in first.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:54 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

ketusmondai wrote:
The thing is, you do understand grammer, you just don't know what all the names for different tenses are. We instinctively learn it as toddlers. English has lots of irregular verbs, that you use without even noticing. I am, you are, he is, are from the verb to be!?! Unless you are Moth, in which case, I be, we be, you be are all fine. Once you get your head around the common irregular verbs and the basic pattern of regular verbs you can progress very quickly.

Don't worry about learning loads of nouns. You can always point and say "it". Study to be, to want, to have, to like, to go and you're away.

All good points Ketus. I be agreeing with you. No, I just sound like a pirate.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:55 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I want to learn German. Can anyone recommend any teach yourself kits?

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

German would be handy for picking up sailors on the docks of Hull when the Hamburg ships dock .

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:40 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Termoid wrote:
I want to learn German. Can anyone recommend any teach yourself kits?

Michel Thomas has a German course to, although I didn't really manage to learn German with it, so either it isn't as good, or German is harder than Spanish.

Ich kann ein bischen Deutche sprechen.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:58 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

andrew wrote:
German would be handy for picking up sailors on the docks of Hull when the Hamburg ships dock .

Most foreign sailors in Hull are Russian.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Never knew that ,just assumed they would be Dutch and German .

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2