www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Sitcoms/Other TV Comedy
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Sitcoms/Other TV Comedy 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Sitcoms/Other TV Comedy
Solaris wrote:
Is Star Stories the pre-Little Britain thing with Walliams and Lucas playing celebrities of the day? 'Cos that wasn't funny.

Was that Planet Rock Profiles? It was shit.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:42 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Is Star Stories the pre-Little Britain thing with Walliams and Lucas playing celebrities of the day? 'Cos that wasn't funny.

No that was something else and it wasn't funny.
Star Stories was Channel 4 and it's the best comedy of the last 20 years. No contest.

Example

Last edited by bás on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:43 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

The Golden Fang wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Was that Planet Rock Profiles? It was shit.

Wasn't that Dave Fanning's interview programme? Also shit.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:44 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

bás wrote:

Oh yeah, I remember that. Sorry, that's not amusing in any way, shape or form.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:47 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The first series of Look Around You is by no means Top 10 material, but was sort of a Fist Of Fun style parody of 80's educational science videos, and is a lot of fun if you are familiar with both of those things.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:48 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

You're wrong this time Sol.
If a miserable bastard like me can be made to laugh then it must be funny.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:50 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Painkiller wrote:
The first series of Look Around You is by no means Top 10 material, but was sort of a Fist Of Fun style parody of 80's educational science videos, and is a lot of fun if you are familiar with both of those things.

I saw one on computer games I think. I did lol.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:51 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

I have no time for impressionists, it's lazy 'comedy' and rarely funny.

I preferred the second series of Look Around You, even if it was a lot less subtle and more elbow-nudge-wink than the first.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:57 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

TOP EVER SITCOMS
1. Hancock's Half Hour
2. Fawlty Towers
3. Blackadder
4. The Young Ones
5. Steptoe & Son
6. Rising Damp
7. Dad's Army
8. Porridge
9. Fall & Rise Of Reginald Perrin
10. Yes Minister

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:00 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Chantler wrote:
10. Yes Minister

...and Curb and Alan Partridge.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:30 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Well, naturally I love Fr Ted.

I love auld comedy most obviously, and I tend to prefer British shows -

Porridge/Going Straight
Rising Damp
Only Fools
Fawlty Towers
Till Death Do Us Part
Ever Decreasing Circles
The Good Life
Reggie Perrin
Open All Hours
Python
Last Of The Summer Wine 75 - 85
Steptoe And Son
Morecambe And Wise.

Also - Blackadder, The Royle Family, Keeping Up Appearances, Red Dwarf, Bottom, The Young Ones, Rab C Nesbitt, Vic & Bob, the earlier Harry Enfield stuff, Brass Eye, Yes Minister, The New Statesman, Phoenix Nights, Early Doors, Spaced, I'm Alan Partridge etc.

As for US comedy -

Mash
Taxi
Frasier
Cheers
Roseanne (early series)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
South Park
The Simpsons
King Of The Hill
Arrested Development

I saw the absolute worst sitcom ever recently. After half of the first episode I think I can safely say 'The Neighbours' is the most unfunny sitcom of all time. Even worse than Mrs Browns Boys, or any other comedy you care to mention.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:35 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

The Golden Fang wrote:
On the other hand Simpsons (when it was good), South Park and Futurama, before it was taken off air, are three of the best comedies and best programmes ever.

Futurama was good enough but cant be compared to Simpsons. South Park was rubbish.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:05 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

South Park's had its ups and dwns but when it's good, it's really good. Unlike Futurama, which has been shit from day 1.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:42 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Futurama on occasion had imagination and flair. South Park was always demonstrably shit. Doing something really badly isn't doing something really well after all.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:45 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

You keep using the past tense, you do realise tht it's still in production, and will be for another few years at least?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:49 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I hadnt thought about it. I watched it at the start and intermittently for a few years afterwards. The movie too. I did like some of that actually.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:51 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Reading this thread has made me realise I don't actually like sitcoms much.

Red Dwarf and Blackadder were good, mind.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:50 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Love Thy Neighbour

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Reverend Jim wrote:
Futurama on occasion had imagination and flair. South Park was always demonstrably shit. Doing something really badly isn't doing something really well after all.

I've not watched a massive amount of South Park, but the first few series, where it's all just jokes about poo and willies, is very different from what it turned into. It's one of the few programmes I've ever seen which can talk about serious political or ethical questions in a nuanced, intelligent and still funny way. Despite what you'd think, it can be very subtle.

The Fast Show is the best sketch show ever - yes, better than Monty Python. Everyone seems to forget that there were a fair few bits of Monty Python that were weird or envelope-pushing but not actually hugely funny. MP is incredible though just for the fact it was ever made. Can you imagine a TV show nowadays with a sketch called 'The All-England Summarise Proust Competition"? How many viewers would get that joke? It would never be comissioned.

Saying US or UK sitcoms are 'better' is kind of missing the point because they're different beasts. US series have to have 24 episodes, usually have to run for at least 5 series, etc. - whereas there are only 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers. The characters develop in different ways and the style of humour has to be different because of the format. The US could never do anything like FT, Spaced or The Office (for proof look at their version of that, which has lasted forever - thus destroying the central joke that it's an observational documentary), but the UK couldn't do anything like The Simpsons or Friends. Fuck off - for what it was, Friends was actually really good for a while there.

Also, fuck Family Guy. It was funniest when it was just a Simpsons rip-off, but the later series are so horrible they make the funnier ones worse. It's so sad that the Simpsons ended up borrowing from Family Guy - I mean, come on guys.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:56 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Reverend Jim wrote:

I've not watched a massive amount of South Park, but the first few series, where it's all just jokes about poo and willies, is very different from what it turned into. It's one of the few programmes I've ever seen which can talk about serious political or ethical questions in a nuanced, intelligent and still funny way. Despite what you'd think, it can be very subtle.

Quite, Robit, you are demonstrably talking shit. As Ed said, the first few series and film are a very different beast to what it has become. It manages to talk about "serious issues" , like racism, sexism and homophobia, in an intelligent way whilst not making any concessions to political correctness, which is quite something. It can be and often is, extremely subtle and nuanced, despite the fact that it is full of swearing, dumb slapstick and elements like Cthulhu visiting South Park or the World being destroyed by giant guinea pigs.

Ed Blackadder wrote:
The Fast Show is the best sketch show ever - yes, better than Monty Python. Everyone seems to forget that there were a fair few bits of Monty Python that were weird or envelope-pushing but not actually hugely funny. MP is incredible though just for the fact it was ever made. Can you imagine a TV show nowadays with a sketch called 'The All-England Summarise Proust Competition"? How many viewers would get that joke? It would never be comissioned.

I don't know what the best sketch show ever is, I love The Fast Show, but, like all Sketch shows it is inevitably hit and miss. Jessie's Diets/Fashion/Tips, the drunk old man and Ted and Ralph were perfect. Monty Python was brilliant ideas wise but it was bad or average more often than it was good. Also, it's not as out there or envelope pushing as its given credit for, have you seen Q Milligan? That's a few years earlier and is very, very similar as a sketch show, Python took things further but Milligan had already moved into that territory.

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Saying US or UK sitcoms are 'better' is kind of missing the point because they're different beasts.

I agree that they are very different, that does not miss the point, they are both sitcoms and UK ones are much better overall.

Ed Blackadder wrote:
US series have to have 24 episodes, usually have to run for at least 5 series, etc. - whereas there are only 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers. The characters develop in different ways and the style of humour has to be different because of the format. The US could never do anything like FT, Spaced or The Office (for proof look at their version of that, which has lasted forever - thus destroying the central joke that it's an observational documentary), but the UK couldn't do anything like The Simpsons or Friends. Fuck off - for what it was, Friends was actually really good for a while there.

I am aware of the parameters of UK and US sitcoms, I appreciate that these different demands create different end products, I just don't care. UK sitcoms are better. Friends is less shit than most US sitcoms, it's still bland, dull, lifeless, soulless, corporate, beige toss for stuffed with obvious jokes.

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Also, fuck Family Guy. It was funniest when it was just a Simpsons rip-off, but the later series are so horrible they make the funnier ones worse. It's so sad that the Simpsons ended up borrowing from Family Guy - I mean, come on guys.

Yes, FG is a privileged, rich, whiteman making nasty jokes at the expense of women and minorities and replacing genuine humour with pop cultural references.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next