www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Dog vs Cats
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Dog vs Cats 

Best pet?
Dogs 57%  57%  [ 12 ]
Cats 43%  43%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 21

Dog vs Cats 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Dog vs Cats
Thank you. We also rarely hear whether the dog was well cared for or abused/mistreated by their owners. Dogs don't attack for no reason.

That's not no double negative, by the way.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:22 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Absolutely agreed.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:27 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I was bitten as a child by dogs on three occasions and I was doing nothing other than walking by. I've earned the right to be mistrustful of the cunts. On the last occasion, my dad was this close to going round and murdering the thing and/or its owner. Pretty much the whole family had to restrain him.

"Oh, well you must have done something to provoke it." Nope. I'll fully admit I wasn't a particularly nice child but I confined my malign intent to other children, not animals.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:28 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Dogs only attack if they feel threatened, which is true of most animals. Perhaps those dogs had been mistreated in the past, to the degree that they viewed everyone with suspicion/fear, or something in your posture/stance triggered them to respond as they would to their abusers?

We've had dogs all my life, and Staffs for the last 15 years (you know, those 'childkillers' that are actually highly recommended as family dogs and particularly loyal and protective of children?) without a single incident.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:33 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Solaris wrote:
Thank you. We also rarely hear whether the dog was well cared for or abused/mistreated by their owners. Dogs don't attack for no reason.

That's not no double negative, by the way.

I'm afraid I disagree there, I'm although mistreatment and/or provocation play a part in the majority of dog attacks, some dogs seemingly do go crazy for no reason. I wouldn't have believed this (other than in aggressive dog breeds, I know that's a minefield) if it weren't for two stories I heard from relatives.

Firstly my mum knows an old lady who had a mongrel who she'd owned for years and was extremely placid, one, when she was alone with him and had had him for several years, he savaged her face, tearing her bottom lips from her face. I find it very difficult to believe she had provoked him and as far as I know, she was his only owner.

Second case, my aunt knows a family with a spaniel (of some sort), alone in the house one day with him, she screamed having accidentally picked up a spider, thinking it was a bit of fluff. Ridiculous reaction, as Shal will no doubt point out but he then grabbed her leg and proceeded to pull her across the floor, with such aggression he tore the muscle away from the bone in her upper leg. Unbelievably he wasn't put to sleep, he'd have been worm food were I his owner, years later she and her husband were messing about dancing to the radio when he attempted to do the same thing again. The husband was there to restrain him/calm him down. Needless to say he was put to sleep after that.

In both cases I don't know the full histories of either dog and no I don't know how they were treated by their owners but there's no reason to think either were mistreated and neither were rescue dogs. I love animals and would generally blame human beings for the behaviour of domesticated ones but those two stories have made me see dogs in a different light, I'm not afraid of every dog but I have that in the back of my mind. I'm sure these sorts of events are very rare but humans can snap and I suppose any other animal can too.

I still prefer dogs to cats and am transformed into a cooing simpleton when I meet them, though that said I am like that with most animals.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:52 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

The Golden Fang wrote:
Firstly my mum knows an old lady who had a mongrel who she'd owned for years and was extremely placid, one, when she was alone with him and had had him for several years, he savaged her face, tearing her bottom lips from her face. I find it very difficult to believe she had provoked him and as far as I know, she was his only owner.

Was it an old dog? Dogs get senile too. Just a guess, I have no idea.

The Golden Fang wrote:
Second case, my aunt knows a family with a spaniel (of some sort), alone in the house one day with him, she screamed having accidentally picked up a spider, thinking it was a bit of fluff. Ridiculous reaction, as Shal will no doubt point out but he then grabbed her leg and proceeded to pull her across the floor, with such aggression he tore the muscle away from the bone in her upper leg.

You've explained that one yourself. She startled the dog (all the more frightening as they presumably looked after the dog, and it wouldn't have any reason to fear them in normal circumstances - if they'd been mistreating it, it would have had a dodgy disposition in general),the fight-or-flight reflexkicked in, unfortunately for her 'fight' was the response on that occasion.

The Golden Fang wrote:
years later she and her husband were messing about dancing to the radio when he attempted to do the same thing again.

Same thing, he didn't understand what was going on, he thought one was threatening the other, attacked. Or maybe he was just frightened by what he would have regarded as the pack leaders fighting.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Clint Ruin wrote:
And what other animal voluntarily eats its own shit?

Edit - rabbits do, but they kind of need to.

Double edit - Pigs. And they'll happily gobble up the turds of other animals too. Some cultures with no access to plumbing actually use them as "toilet pigs" to gobble up all the shit before killing them and eating them at the end of the year. Not sure about the last part though, it's half remembered from a Ray Mears show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_toilet

Lovely.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:16 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:18 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I gather that a lot of the reason dogs do it is that they're lacking (a sufficient amount of) something in their diet and what little they pass, they eat again. It's also partly learned behaviour from their mother - she'll clean their bed/box/whatever when they're pups, which involves eating it. Nice.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:20 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Bitches who have been spayed (hurrr) are adorable creatures but even then I tire of their simpleton, tongue hanging out grin and running around wobbling their arses. Cats will roll over, let you rub their belly, rub along your leg then five minutes later it's "fuck off I want to sleep or eat". I much prefer cats.
There's nothing like falling asleep to the feeling of fur on your face and purring in your ear.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:20 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

bás wrote:
Bitches who have been spayed (hurrr) are adorable creatures but even then I tire of their simpleton, tongue hanging out grin and running around wobbling their arses.

:?:

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:25 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

So that's what she got up to that people in an uproar? pfffft

To the OP - cats win every time.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:26 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Solaris wrote:
The Golden Fang wrote:

Was it an old dog? Dogs get senile too. Just a guess, I have no idea.

The Golden Fang wrote:
Second case, my aunt knows a family with a spaniel (of some sort), alone in the house one day with him, she screamed having accidentally picked up a spider, thinking it was a bit of fluff. Ridiculous reaction, as Shal will no doubt point out but he then grabbed her leg and proceeded to pull her across the floor, with such aggression he tore the muscle away from the bone in her upper leg.

You've explained that one yourself. She startled the dog (all the more frightening as they presumably looked after the dog, and it wouldn't have any reason to fear them in normal circumstances - if they'd been mistreating it, it would have had a dodgy disposition in general),the fight-or-flight reflexkicked in, unfortunately for her 'fight' was the response on that occasion.

The Golden Fang wrote:
years later she and her husband were messing about dancing to the radio when he attempted to do the same thing again.

Same thing, he didn't understand what was going on, he thought one was threatening the other, attacked. Or maybe he was just frightened by what he would have regarded as the pack leaders fighting.

I don't think the first dog was very old, maybe 7 or 8. I did think the second one hard been startled, yes, but that's one hell of an overreaction and one that would earn it a lethal injection were I the owner.

The fact is that in those three situations, whatever the reasons, dogs savaged and in the final case attempted to savage people. In all three cases the owners could not anticipate the reaction and animals behaviour was disproportionately aggressive and potentially lethal.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:29 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

lawnchair redux wrote:
cats win every time.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:30 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

The Golden Fang wrote:
The fact is that in those three situations, whatever the reasons, dogs savaged and in the final case attempted to savage people. In all three cases the owners could not anticipate the reaction and animals behaviour was disproportionately aggressive and potentially lethal.

Agreed.

Speaking of overreactions, what sickens me is the banning and/or automatic putting down of dogs simply based on their breed, regardless of whether they've actually done anything. As a few rescue charities say on their posters/flyers, "punish the deed, not the breed".

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:34 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Are some breeds not killing machines though? Selective breeding does this and it only takes a few generations, as does docility. I'm very, very wary of rottweilers and dobermanns, though I've never known anyone who owns one. I know staffies have a similar if less extreme rep, various friends and family members have had them and they actually reminded me of labradors in temperament.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:38 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

The Golden Fang wrote:
I don't think the first dog was very old, maybe 7 or 8. I did think the second one hard been startled, yes, but that's one hell of an overreaction and one that would earn it a lethal injection were I the owner.

And this is the problem. When cats go senile they tend to stand in corners facing the wall, pissing on the carpet and otherwise being smelly and difficult but they don't tend to try to rip your face off. I've got close friends who just had to put their older dog down because it attacked and mauled their younger dog and then attacked the woman of the couple with extreme prejudice. She required many stitches but I think the emotional upset of the entire episode was more damaging to her. They were devoted to their dogs, they were VERY responsible pet owners, their dogs were well trained, well behaved and led great doggy lives - in short and as Dee has pointed out they could not anticipate that this would happen and regardless of whatever set the dog off it reacted as a dog with its teeth. Massively disproportionately aggressive. This does happen and it doesn't require an irresponsible owner to make it happen.

I'm not suggesting that all dogs will end up doing it, I'm just saying it does happen.

Thus cats rule.

Since everyone's posting like crazy before I got mine in, I'll add that putting down dogs based on breed alone is disgusting.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:40 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
bás wrote:
Bitches who have been spayed (hurrr) are adorable creatures but even then I tire of their simpleton, tongue hanging out grin and running around wobbling their arses.

:?:

That is probably the most appropriate gif response in the history of message board replies.

If you were Billy Ray Cyrus would you be terribly disappointed in your daughter?

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

No. Billy Ray does well to remember to breathe.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

You hear that faint thud, Lawnchair? That's his achy breaky heart and you've just broken it.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next