www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Secret Santa 2013 - ADDRESSES SENT.
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Secret Santa 2013 - ADDRESSES SENT. 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Secret Santa 2013 - ADDRESSES SENT.
Iron Steev wrote:
with apologies to Duckstyle for taking so long (and I've only listened to one of the CDs so far):

STUFF HIS COMPUTER CHOSE (Shuffle disk).

1. Reckon this one is called 'Different Kind of Hell'. Doomy riffs, decent track.
-MADDER MORTEM "A Different Kind of Hell" off "Eight Ways"

2. Slower grungy/alt.rocky type thing with a couple of shouty bits. Aye, decent.
-VISION OF DISORDER "Downtime Misery" off "From Bliss to Devastation"

3. Ah, I know this fucker. Pantera. Something on Trendkill? Cool tune, Sandblasted Skin.
-CORRECT!

4. Devin. But Devin I don't recognize, so reckon it's off of one of the non-City SYL albums? Yeah, liked that. Reckon I'll have to give the non-City SYL albums a fair crack of the whip.
-SYL -"Consequence" off "SYL"

5. 30secs old-skool DM blastathon. Enjoyed that. Pretty cool.
-NASUM - "Lopandebandsprincipen" off "Grind Finale"

6. Stompy "thrash" (but like when thrash bands get into their 30s and mature and go more mid-paced). Not bad, to be fair.
-WHIPLASH - "Cyanide Grenade" off "Sit Stand Kneel Pray" - Absolutely nuts on description there, pal.

7. Makes your head nod this one! Slower DM riffs. Seems familiar, and really liking the vibe. Involuntary neck bounce going on!
DISMEMBER - "Hate Campaign" off "Hate Campaign"

8. Some reason, this track seems quintessentially Duckyboos! A bit of DM, a bit of tech, a splash of melody, some full on throat roar breaking into cleaner, bit of prog, bit of muscle. Liked it, good tune.
CRYPTOPSY - "Contemplate Regicide" off "Unspoken King" - I keep telling people that there are a few good tracks on this album. Still, should have been renamed as a side project.

9. Change of pace, and something a bit grungier with a slight "western" (as in wild west) feel to it. Builds nicely.
ONLY LIVING WITNESS - "Hank Crane" off "Innocents" - More of an interlude. I would have chosen 12 other songs, myself!

10. This I know... (I think) but can't put finger on it. Black metally chaotic but not raw, some cool riffs and nice parts to it.
CADAVER INC. - "Deliverance" off "Discipline" - Yes, you bleedin' well should know this!

11. Amon Amarth? No... it's got a nice bouncy melodic DM riff. Definitely something Gothenberg influenced. Early 00's? Cool, though.
SOLAR DAWN - "Artistic Blashpemy" off "Frost-Work" - Overlooked. Needed more releases to hone their craft.

12. 90's gothicy DM start into a nice groove then into some does-what-it-says-on-the-tin DM. Another decent track, Duck. Your shuffle is doing well! (Meaning your playlist/library is well stocked in terms of quality!)
DOMINUS - "A Sign from the Cryptic Winter" from "A View to the Dim" - The band that became VOLBEAT. Too bad.

13. Techy DM start, into aggro-tech DM. Not overly brutal. Head nodded involuntarily. Good stuff.
INFINTED HATE - "Demon King" off "Orchestra of Sickness" - One or two members from SINISTER. I'm a sucker for that Dutch DM sound.

14. Slow jazz DM kick off. Bit all over the place guitarwise. Not necessarily my bag this one.
NEGATIVA - "Chaos in Motion" off "Negativa" - Luc's band during the '00's when there was no GORGUTS. Listen again and you'll hear the similarities.

15. Raw and noisy. A live bootleg recorded off a sound desk? Feel like I should know it. Good chaotic Morbid Angel riffing.
INSANITY -"Blood for Blood" off '85 Demo - Stone classic. Well done, computer.

16. Decent track. odd lyrics. Dark.
ENTOMBED "Scottish Hell" bonus track off "Uprising" - DEAD HORSE cover song.

17. Electro start. Is this from the 90's? Bit of funk and electro and metal and guitar instrumental going on. Quite enjoyed, actually.
JORDAN RUDESS - Time Crunch" off "Rythm of Time" - I'm a DREAM THEATER fan and I really like Jordan's solo stuff. He always gets great guys to play with.

18. 90's thrashy with grungey open chords on the chorus. Not bad. Didn't blow me away but was alright that.
SILICON HEAD - "Rationalized" off "Bash" - Weird little side thingy featuring Marc Grewe from MORGOTH. Pretty much as you describe.

Mate, an excellent shuffle CD. I'm often a crap receiver in these swap things, but plenty I'm intrigued to see who it is and to investigate further.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:32 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Junkie Joe Joyce wrote:
Myrddin wrote:
Mods, sticky this again, many people haven't reviewed their discs. Bastards.

Sticky me hole.

I'm not a priest.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Duckstyle wrote:
16. Decent track. odd lyrics. Dark.
ENTOMBED "Scottish Hell" bonus track off "Uprising" - DEAD HORSE cover song.

I really like this song. Incidentally only this and the Pantera track would've registered with me.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:18 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I hope I get you next year, bas.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Happy to email you the files, Bas. It's as good a CD as I've gotten from any of these exchanges.

Shall be D/Ling non-City SYL, VOD, that Dismember album (I only have LAEFS and Massive Killing Capacity), Cryptopsy 'Unspoken King' and Cadaver Inc. I may also check out Insanity, too. What album, Duck?

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:53 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

INSANITY'S '85 demo is three songs and is a corker. Can't miss. They did a compilation called "From the Grave" which is really the best thing to get. It has said demo and their '94 album, which, though pretty good, doesn't have the chaos of the demo days. That's probably due to their guitar player passing away very early in their career. They put out an exhaustive 2 disc set called "Chronicles of the Cursed" which has pretty much everything they ever recorded. Live tracks, rehearsals, demos, everything. It's great too, but hard to find.

I think they did another album in, like '07/'08, but I never heard it.

...and I maintain that in the world of SYL, "City" may be seminal, but "Alien" is definitive.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:19 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

A Very Eldritch Christmas

Judging by the hand drawn tentacled xmas tree on the cover, I'm in for some squiddy bizniss...

1. ....but not before "I Saw Mommy Kissing Yog Sothoth" desecrates all things wholesome about the holiday. Cute.

2. Recorded in a cavernous crypt next door to PORTAL's rehearsal space circa 2004. Neat little chromatic bit that repeats a couple of times while the drummer alters speed from fast to faster, barely keeping it together. Vocals are low, heavy and non-descript. Chaotic. Pretty good.

3. Holy man. Some serious shit right here. Excellent song writing while maintaining a narrative style of one brutal motif after another. No mean feat, that. 10 1/2 minutes of this style is a tall order, but they really pull it off. Slows down and builds to a huge end. Colossal. I love it.

4. Very disgusting sound. Muddy, in fact. Some neat guitar dives hither and thither. Same as the other track in the vocal dept. He's getting it done, but I feel like I need more. Song loses a bit of steam when it slows down. Gets a bit predictable and finishes soft. Could have ramped that up a bit. No need to revisit.

5. "It's beginning to look a lot like fish-men"....had to admit, the jest escaped me. I knew I was in trouble when I didn't know why a reference to Innsmouth was supposed to elicit a giggle.

6. Love the ominous beginning. They get right into it, but you can tell something more is coming. There it is. Guitars going at it playing different things then coming together when the drums decide to blast away. Atypical DM riffage, but unmistakeably DM. I feel like I know this, but can't spike it. Down under? NZ perhaps? Great stuff. Must hear more.

7. Overpowering stench of grindcore snare. Chaos, then something a bit more recognizable, but sinister. Hey a guitar solo! This band sounds like the are generally trying to outdo other bands. Also, too many 'familiar' progressions. It's fun, but doesn't pack the same punch with me.

8. Totally dig the opening riff. My ears always agree with that kind of descending structure in a riff. They go back to it a couple of times too. Gets a little ambient without getting fruity in the middle. Bit long on the spoken word sample section. Awww....picked up there for a sec, then more sampling. Kinda lost me with that. Could have powered through and had a solid 4 minute tune instead of lengthening it to nearly six. Pretty good when they lean into it, though.

9. "Death to the World, Cthulhu's Come" :lol: Best one of the bunch. In a minor key, no less.

10. More nearly illegible brutality from the off, but then the open chorded slow down into MORBID ANGEL-ish slow riffage. Hardly a rip off either. Nice change and great atmosphere. Nice bendy bit transitions to more of what I can only call grind/doom, but with such an evil tone. This is very good. I hope it's GRAVE UPHEAVAL.

11. As much as it fits into the rest of what's here, I'm having trouble grabbing on to anything here. Very much along the lines of the other stuff, but just seem like a bit more of a mish mash of ideas that don't have much purpose. Oh, and there's that vocalist problem again. Need to mix that style up a bit.

12. PORTAL - "Curtain" Ace.

13. More Lovecraftian silliness. Sung to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne"

Tying it all together, and weighing this and that, I call upon PK to reveal himself.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:59 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Was dealing the facts there.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:30 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Duckstyle wrote:
1. ....but not before "I Saw Mommy Kissing Yog Sothoth" desecrates all things wholesome about the holiday. Cute.

Innit. HP Lovecraft Historical Society - I saw Mommy Kissing Yog-Sothoth.

Quote:
2. Recorded in a cavernous crypt next door to PORTAL's rehearsal space circa 2004. Neat little chromatic bit that repeats a couple of times while the drummer alters speed from fast to faster, barely keeping it together. Vocals are low, heavy and non-descript. Chaotic. Pretty good.

Antediluvian - Beyond Diurnal Winds

Quote:
3. Holy man. Some serious shit right here. Excellent song writing while maintaining a narrative style of one brutal motif after another. No mean feat, that. 10 1/2 minutes of this style is a tall order, but they really pull it off. Slows down and builds to a huge end. Colossal. I love it.

Mitochondrion - Tetravirulence. Their Parasignosis album is brilliant, well worth checking out.

Quote:
4. Very disgusting sound. Muddy, in fact. Some neat guitar dives hither and thither. Same as the other track in the vocal dept. He's getting it done, but I feel like I need more. Song loses a bit of steam when it slows down. Gets a bit predictable and finishes soft. Could have ramped that up a bit. No need to revisit.

Grave Upheaval - 4. Probably more of a whole album experience, but one of my favourites of last year, and pretty much the peak of the Death-Metal-As-Noise thing.

Quote:
5. "It's beginning to look a lot like fish-men"....had to admit, the jest escaped me. I knew I was in trouble when I didn't know why a reference to Innsmouth was supposed to elicit a giggle.

Fair enough, it's my favourite of the HPL Historical Society Christmas songs, though like all of them the joke is pretty thin.

Quote:
6. Love the ominous beginning. They get right into it, but you can tell something more is coming. There it is. Guitars going at it playing different things then coming together when the drums decide to blast away. Atypical DM riffage, but unmistakeably DM. I feel like I know this, but can't spike it. Down under? NZ perhaps? Great stuff. Must hear more.

Ulcerate - The Imperious Weak. I'm guessing you knew that as no other bands in the history of ever have come from New Zealand.

Quote:
7. Overpowering stench of grindcore snare. Chaos, then something a bit more recognizable, but sinister. Hey a guitar solo! This band sounds like the are generally trying to outdo other bands. Also, too many 'familiar' progressions. It's fun, but doesn't pack the same punch with me.

Impetuous Ritual - Convoluting Into Despondency

Quote:
8. Totally dig the opening riff. My ears always agree with that kind of descending structure in a riff. They go back to it a couple of times too. Gets a little ambient without getting fruity in the middle. Bit long on the spoken word sample section. Awww....picked up there for a sec, then more sampling. Kinda lost me with that. Could have powered through and had a solid 4 minute tune instead of lengthening it to nearly six. Pretty good when they lean into it, though.

Paroxsihzem - Deindividuation. Strictly a third-tier band for me, but an example of how much quality there still is in this relatively new sub(ish)genre. I agree that they need to stop sitting on the samples and slam it home more.

Quote:
9. "Death to the World, Cthulhu's Come" :lol: Best one of the bunch. In a minor key, no less.

At least one of them worked. I hammered this joke home, as is my style.

Quote:
10. More nearly illegible brutality from the off, but then the open chorded slow down into MORBID ANGEL-ish slow riffage. Hardly a rip off either. Nice change and great atmosphere. Nice bendy bit transitions to more of what I can only call grind/doom, but with such an evil tone. This is very good. I hope it's GRAVE UPHEAVAL.

No - GU were the ones you didn't really like! This is Abyssal - The tongue of The Demagogue. Great album, tough perhaps longer than it needs to be.

Quote:
11. As much as it fits into the rest of what's here, I'm having trouble grabbing on to anything here. Very much along the lines of the other stuff, but just seem like a bit more of a mish mash of ideas that don't have much purpose. Oh, and there's that vocalist problem again. Need to mix that style up a bit.

Aevangelist - Prayer For Ascetic Misery. An album I enjoy, but very much a background listen.

Quote:
12. PORTAL - "Curtain" Ace.

Yo.

Quote:
13. More Lovecraftian silliness. Sung to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne"

HPLHS again - Death May Die

Quote:
Tying it all together, and weighing this and that, I call upon PK to reveal himself.

I'm surprised there was ever any doubt.

Glad you seemed to enjoy it, and sorry about the slightly lame duck-themed presents. I knew I was running a risk with a one-genre comp, especially such a one-note genre, but I did anyway.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:54 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Very much enjoyed. In have that ULCERATE cd and I've given it a listen possibly 3 times. I do like it, but am not as familiar as I should be since it is CLEARLY up my street.

I saw MITOCHONDRION last year and they were terrifying. I bought one cd from them, but left it in my rental car. Never replaced it. I shall remedy that and seek the album that this track comes from.

Had higher hopes for GRAVE UPHEAVAL and AEVANGELIST.

Nicely done, PK. I'm cool with the themed disc. Gives me a nice overview of a genre I'm interested in. Makes me want to delve deeper. I always appreciate your sense of humour. The squiddy tree was a nice touch.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:27 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

You might enjoy the first Aevangelist album more, it's a bit more focussed and less "ambient". I like the second one, but it took a bit of adjustment, and I get why turdy doesn't. I'd say the Grave Upheaval's worth a full-album go. Treat it like a Noise/Dark Ambient album rather than a DM one, and it really sneaks up on you.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:51 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Duckstyle wrote:
I hope I get you next year, bas.

Yes I could do with an education on Death.

Iron Steev wrote:
Happy to email you the files, Bas. It's as good a CD as I've gotten from any of these exchanges.

Shall be D/Ling VOD

You've probably heard 'Imprint', Steev. It was released around 98 I think. One track called By the River featuring Phil Anselmo was on a Metal Hammer cd and there was a really cool song called Jada Bloom that was very Helmetesque.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:24 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Still got that album, Jada Bloom is a great song, the one with Phil Anselmo and another called Up In You is quality as well. Don't think I could listen to all that screaming and shouting now.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:53 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Screaming and shouting satisfies me.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:44 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I like the maturity of "...Bliss...", but "Imprint" is worthy. They were pretty unique, actually.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:29 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

WHAT THE DUCK CHOSE:

1. Think Duck is trying to seduce me. Slinky bassline, sultry female vocal. Not metal - sounds like "her" wots from Skunk Anansie. A good slick pop song

2. Chug! Chug! Chug! Beefy start. Thrash/HC bit, breakdown into a moshbit. There's some huge bits in this, to be fair. Modern thrashy. Like it.

3. Nice sombre build up, cool slow harmonies/lead. Was expecting heavier vocals after such a doomy start. Ah, there's some heavy voice. Some cool bits actually as it goes on, but outstays its' welcome slightly.

4. Dark and lurching. Good rhythm. Was hoping for a bit more "oomph" but not bad at all.

5. BM. Long intro (Dissectiony) Then into the cold chaos. I especially like the bits with the Emperor type chords. Nice, expansive slower bit in there too

6. Funky punky bass intro, then all speeds up, like moving a 33 to 45. Wasn't sold, all in, though.

7. Not sure of the vocals - guy sounds like he's straining for every note! Like the riffs/guitars though. He's better and more comfortable on the clean section.

8. Crisis with a different vocalist? Na, that's an odd reference and not quite right. Sludgy, post-HC riffs. Could get into an album of this.

9. Old skool slightly (deliberately) sloppy DM. Bit like Atrocity before they started on all the gay 80's covers and goth shit. Aye, not bad.

10. Sinister... ohh, no, not for long, for like 10 seconds and we're off and running. BM with those Dissectiony up and down the strings single note guitar lines. Liking this, especially when they venture into the more trad metally zone. Decent stuff.

11. 90's stonery rock vibe. Decent track. Reckon my brother would be really into this. Cool.

12. What I image Mindfunk to sound like, but no idea why. American 90's groove rock/post-Nirvana.

13. Noisy, aggressive, full on and distorted. Nice blast of aggro!

14. Slabs of riffs!! Heavy HC with a touch of DM. Cool vibe.

15. Bit stop starty. Kinda passed me by. Sorry.

16. Like an odder more metal Clutch? Ha! Odd?!

17. "Metal"y head-nodding intro, always a good sign. Goes into a much heavier than the norm for "beauty and the beast" stuff. Is this very early Gathering? Electro-break into a chuggy bit. Sounds too modern for early Gathering, perhaps? Interesting stuff, plenty of changes. The HM bit is back now, then a good riff. A bit of everything in this one. Good, all in though!

Cheers Duck, mate, across both CD's plenty for me to investigate, and about 30 (give or take) bands I'd not heard before. Well done, mate, and cheers!

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:18 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

bás wrote:

I bet you say that to all your victims.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:24 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

oneleggedpunk wrote:
bás wrote:

I bet you say that to all your victims.

I would have spat coffee but had mercifully just swallowed.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:30 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Don't come over all superior with me.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:48 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Random Acts of Senseless Shuffling

1. Floaty intro that ends right as it's about to go into something....

2. Funeral Doom time. Very SHAPE OF DESPAIR-ish. Italian from the sound of the lyrics. Nice melancholic descanting melodies. Good for what it is.

3. Slightly raw BM/BEHEMOTH sound, but with some very odd, interesting notational flourish. Cruising along nicely, then a sudden slow down to simple drum beat and little guitar widdles. Actually, sounding more and more like Satyr fronting an avant BM band. Not ferocious, but catchy and unpredictable. Pretty cool.

4. DISCHARGE - "Protest to Survive". Money.

5. KING DIAMOND - "7th Day of July 1777" - I only know this because "Abigail" is the only KD I ever gave a damn about.

6. The distorted no matter how far I turn it down production is slightly offensive to my ears, but I love the overall tone of this. Power, head bangin' riff that goes half time and gets grooving. Mid bit with a slightly doomy riff full of a woman's screams, then takes off in a very late 80's Swedish thrash kind of way. Damn, I feel like I should know this.

7. REPULSION - "Slaughter of the Innocent" Ahhh....songs of my youth.

8. Scuzzy sound. Vocals are sung, but more like a punkish singing with a bit of gang vocals in the back....Oh...MISFITS....

9. Flutes, keys, toms and acoustic guitars. Sounds Spanish. Reminds a little of YEARNING in their softer moments. Singer sounds like he's telling a story. Not much my bag.

10. This is fucking Power Metal .5 seconds in. Choir, pompy keys. Let's see where she goes...

...is this Japanese? Guitar interplay isn't bad and they riff a little heavier than a lot of this ilk. THERE IT IS.....up tempo chorus of affirmation! Not repetitive and some good riffs to be found. I'm not a power metal guy, but this held my interest for 6 whole minutes.

11. Oooo....slow and nasty. I like it from the off. I feel a blast of energy coming on. Yup, downbeat, distorted guitars with a VERY good sounding snare. I like the music lasting longer than usual before vocals come in, which alternate from mid-high then drop. Riff after riff, but nothing complicated. My cuppa.

12. This is VERY metal. Mostly up tempo with a slight even UPPER tempo shift. Good transitions to good ideas. Digging this a lot. Nice little shift to a kind of hi-hat heavy groove in the middle. It's kind of a BM riff. Just enough of a sinister vibe not to sound hokey. Sort of peters out toward the end, but I liked that one.

13. This is decidedly 80's metal. A little heavier than most, but still very trad metal. MASS possibly? Familiar, but I don't quite know it. Some decent Halford-esque screams.

14. This HAS to be IMPALED, but I don't recognize it. I'm a fan. "Forced me to listen to ANTHRAX and MEGADETH". :lol:

15. More trad metal stylings. I like the dual guitar attack on this one. Singer has an accent, but I can't place it. Good solo. Wish more modern players took a page from this guys soloing book. Pretty good stuff.

Nice mixture there, Killah. Enjoyed both discs very much.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next