www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The TV Thread.
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421 ... 429  Next
 The TV Thread. 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: The TV Thread.
WATP wrote:
Need some TV recommendations along the lines of the quality of The Sopranos, The Shield, The Wire and Breaking Bad

Anyone watched Narcos or Six Feet Under?

Rome (Historical drama with two seasons). And the British House Of Cards.

Mad Men.

All I can think of.

Tue May 31, 2016 1:58 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Mad Men is Desperate Housewives for men. I watched it all but regret it.

The new Battlestar Galactica springs to mind, as do The Corner (from the creators of The Wire), Oz, Deadwood, The West Wing, The Newsroom... Another vote for Rome, I'd also really recommend Cracker and I, Claudius. Hannibal should go without saying.

Tue May 31, 2016 2:12 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I have been a big fan of Top Gear in the past, but sounds like the reaction to the new series hasn't been that flash. Chris Evans is a bit of an unknown in New Zealand, in that I've only ever seen him on old episodes of Top Gear... Is he a bit of a dick? He sounds like it, from his reaction at not being able to match Clarkson's ratings.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/80563994/New-Top-Gear-host-reacts-to-backlash

Anyway, anyone seen it? Still worth watching? And anyone saying it was never worth watching is a closet Nazi-Communist-Cheese-Eating-Surrender-Monkey.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Tue May 31, 2016 7:22 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Think I'll give Hannibal a go first, been meaning to watch Deadwood for a while.

Tue May 31, 2016 9:31 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

WATP wrote:
Need some TV recommendations along the lines of the quality of The Sopranos, The Shield, The Wire and Breaking Bad

You've probably seen all these but definitely Band Of Brothers, Rome and The Pacific.
I'd also recommend Spartacus. Stylistically it's very much in the vein of '300', but get over the initial couple of episodes and it becomes a gripping saga of cruelty, betrayal, power and ultraviolence. 'Vikings' is also fucking ace.

Tue May 31, 2016 9:53 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

WATP wrote:

Tried Blue Bloods? Its made by the Sopranos folk but it's about Police corruption in the NYPD. Not as good as Sopranos but still enjoyable imo.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Tue May 31, 2016 10:33 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Watched a bit of Blue Bloods to begin with but gave up on it.

Aye Band of Brothers is up there with the greatest TV shows of all time.

Tue May 31, 2016 4:04 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I didn't think much of the Pacific, though. Blue Bloods is appalling, so utterly lacking in any kind of tension or drama. My brother watches it but I couldn't manage any more than the first episode. Donnie Wahlberg is particularly unwatchable, which was disappointing given how good he was in Band Of Brothers.

Oooh, Boston Legal is superb fun.

Tue May 31, 2016 4:15 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Had there never been a Band of Brothers The Pacific would have been more highly thought of, but it was never going to come close.

Tue May 31, 2016 5:11 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

True. Probably better to watch The Pacific first, rather than in comparison to BOB. See also: True Detective and its disastrous second season.

Tue May 31, 2016 5:15 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

WATP wrote:

Six Feet Under is slow, but in an interesting way rather than dull, and gets better as it goes along. One of the later episodes, which basically features Michael C Hall and a hitchhiker for the full hour is incredible. Also, trying to guess who will die, and how, at the beginning of every episode is way more fun than it should be.

Narcos was excellent, although I'm not too sure how they're going to manage a second full blown series. Having read Killing Pablo (oops, was that a spoiler?), I'm not sure they can wring more than six or seven episodes out of it without dragging things out horribly, even if they change their focus.
They've already encountered several problems in its production, losing its showrunner and pushing its air date back.
Personally, I would have made the first season four episodes longer, tightening a couple of things up along the way, and finished it properly there and then.

Tue May 31, 2016 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Second season of Narcos will also include the rise of the Mexican cartel following the death of Pablo, so it could still work. Having said that, first season was awesome though slightly anticlimactic with Pablo surviving the final episode.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:46 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

WATP wrote:
Had there never been a Band of Brothers The Pacific would have been more highly thought of, but it was never going to come close.

I enjoyed Band of Brothers, but I kept getting lost with Pacific. I spent half of it thinking "Who the fuck are you again?"

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:55 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

WATP wrote:

I would recommend Chicago code. Sadly it ran for just one season but had the promise of a decent police drama

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:18 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Bit of an E.T., Fringe, Super 8 vibe to it, could be alright.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:29 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Vim Fuego wrote:
WATP wrote:

I enjoyed Band of Brothers, but I kept getting lost with Pacific. I spent half of it thinking "Who the fuck are you again?"

Band Of Brothers worked so brilliantly because it focused on the same bunch of lads for the entire series. The Pacific split the series between 3 different fellas and I think it suffered from it. Still liked it, though.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:23 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:
Vim Fuego wrote:
WATP wrote:

Band Of Brothers worked so brilliantly because it focused on the same bunch of lads for the entire series. The Pacific split the series between 3 different fellas and I think it suffered from it. Still liked it, though.

Oh yeah, definitely still liked it, but I simply couldn't keep track. My Grandfather fought in the Solomon Islands during the war, so it was of extra interest to me. He only spoke about it to me once, and then only to say that when they went swimming, they had to run from their tents to the water or they would get eaten by mosquitoes.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:39 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

GAME OF THRONES is building nicely. Probably the best series so far. Or maybe it just looks good next to the snoozefest that was Season 5.

PENNY DREADFUL continues to be excellent. Double episode to finish the season next week.

I've ditched PREACHER after a just about passable pilot and two extremely tedious episodes filled with bad acting and even worse accents.

The second season of WAYWARD PINES has also been binned off.

OUTCAST didn't grab me to start with but the last ten minutes of the second episode could be cause for optimism.

BRAINDEAD got off to a good start - an Invasion of the Bodysnatchers sci-fi show with politics, comedy, romance, alien ants, exploding heads, loose brains, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Best season of THE AMERICANS so far. Nice season finale too. No need for big dumb cliffhangers this time at all.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Quote:
In the immortal words of Julius Caesar, 'I left, I did nothing, I returned',"

Curb Your Enthusiasm is coming back! <:)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/81107285/larry-davids-curb-your-enthusiasm-returns-for-season-9-after-fiveyear-hiatus

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:56 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Will it be funny this time?

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420, 421 ... 429  Next