www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - In The Post
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 6817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341  Next
 In The Post 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: In The Post
Ut wears well, I have it on at the moment.

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:06 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Metallica: Hardwired... To Self-Destruct 3CD

A bit late to the game on that one, but good for you. The 3rd CD is a nice surprise. I remember when I pre-ordered it they put up some weird tracklist to throw everybody off.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:16 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

I had it downloaded alright, though I had the gig from the bonus disc previously. It's still a subpar album, though miles above the previous couple, but the completist in me wouldn't let it go. Got it handy enough on Ebay anyway.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:14 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

As is often the case with everything post-Black album Metallica (and you could probably make the argument including that album and maybe even ...And Justice For All for that matter), it’s just more than it needs to be. There’s something to be said for ‘less is more’. There’s some stuff on Hardwired that I really like, but the album becomes a slog after awhile. The second disc becomes a bit too mid-paced plodding to be all sequenced together like they are. The best 8 tracks from it and you have a really solid album. Anyway, I know we’ve probably discussed this to death.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:59 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

I've been meaning to run their last few albums through Soundforge, to trim the songs down a bit and see can I make them more user friendly. Just the thought of it turns my stomach.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:51 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

:lol:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:42 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:
I had it downloaded alright, though I had the gig from the bonus disc previously. It's still a subpar album, though miles above the previous couple, but the completist in me wouldn't let it go. Got it handy enough on Ebay anyway.

Yeah, I know that compulsion only too well. I get close to getting all the albums by one band and then I have to get them all. And then that band goes and releases more and more albums. But the completist in my just can't let it go.

Can't wait for the new Kreator! The new video is superb!

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:38 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Still, the completist in me knows I don’t need Lulu.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:15 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

That goes without saying. Jesus, how that ever happened I can't fathom.

I see they're bringing out S&M², another concert recorded with an orchestra. I can't imagine that sounding good, given that the majority of what they're released since the first one was poor.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:45 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:

I see they're bringing out S&M², another concert recorded with an orchestra. I can't imagine that sounding good, given that the majority of what they're released since the first one was poor.

I think it's mostly the same songs from S&M1 plus a few others. Actually what I've heard so far sounds really good.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:32 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

I have raised my eyebrow in skepticism. I'll give it a listen when it comes out, I suppose.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:41 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Just looking at the set list, and apart from songs that had been done in the 1999 edition, you get three tracks from Hardwired..., two from Death Magnetic, and two that seem completely bizarre in an ‘acoustic’ (not sure what that means exactly, but doesn’t fill me with confidence) ‘All Within My Hands’, and ‘(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth’, which I guess could be interesting. I don’t think they did ‘For Whom The Bell Tolls’ on the previous one either, but I’d only be lukewarm on that.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:55 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Certainly no harm to change it up a bit (though FWTBT was on the first one alright), but the way Lars and Kirk play these days, coupled with James' voice and Trujillo... doing whatever he does, on top of inferior quality songs... I'm not optimistic.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:18 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:
though FWTBT was on the first one alright.

Turns out you’re right. I just have no recollection of it for some reason.

I don’t have any problem with them mixing it up, just that considering the material they did and didn’t choose is a bit disappointing to me.

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:04 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Embertides: Between Trees & Starlike
The Mountain King: Wicked Zen
Weed Priest: Consumate Darkness

All CDs.

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:10 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Do you still buy many CDs, Sol? Are you a vinyl collector as well, or are you more digital?

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:05 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I still buy CDs, exclusively. There are a few things I plan on buying digitally, but only as the CDs are sold out and I 'know' the artist (he runs a label from relatively locally) but generally wouldn't pay for downloads. I download a lot less nowadays than I did, and I'd generally buy those that I'd tried beforehand, and liked. I don't touch vinyl, I can't abide the format, larger covers aside.

I have a pile of CDs to sort through and get rid of, stuff I don't like or listen to anymore, and shitloads of burned CDs from before I bought an Ipod. I need to make room for the stuff I want to keep.

ITP:
Iron Maiden: Rock In Rio (2015 remaster)
Metallica: Death Magnetic & Beyond Magnetic

All CDs.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:07 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Yeah, I am quite similar these days. Part of that is probably due to me being a creature of habit (and my age, or at least the era of me starting to purchase music). I do have a relatively modest vinyl collection, though I get far less enjoyment out of it than a lot of other people seem to. The digitising of my collection was one of the more bothersome experiences of enjoying music.

This is a hill I’m willing to die on (and I know most would not agree with me), but I find CD to have better quality sound, in as much as it isn’t degradable (or at the very least no near the extent of analogue audio) and I am essentially ensured a standard of listening experience that relies on the bare minimum of care (basically keeping them stored in a case).

Digital formats I tend to only rely upon when physical is not readily available. Streaming for the most part is akin to listening to the radio for me - I’ve just conditioned myself to ownership, which I would concede is certainly not the most economical means of enjoying music, but it’s just such an ingrained behaviour at this point.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:24 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Same. Someone here liked buying physical releases to accumulating future landfill, and they might have a point but I'm a fan of the CD, I like the ritual of leafing through the booklet, reading notes, lyrics, etc. The sound is objectively better on a CD, by virtue alone of not having the pops and clicks that vinyl gives you. Add the inconvenience of the format (cleaning it, getting up to switch sides - three times if it's a double album) and it can fuck off, frankly.

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:31 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Same. Someone here liked buying physical releases to accumulating future landfill, and they might have a point but I'm a fan of the CD, I like the ritual of leafing through the booklet, reading notes, lyrics, etc. The sound is objectively better on a CD, by virtue alone of not having the pops and clicks that vinyl gives you. Add the inconvenience of the format (cleaning it, getting up to switch sides - three times if it's a double album) and it can fuck off, frankly.

I completely agree here. The vinyl die-hards will always harp on about the sound being 'superior', which is utter bollocks, quite frankly. They certainly have a different sound to CD but it's not 'better' by any stretch of the imagination.
There's also the blatantly stupid vinyl releases like Sleep's Dopesmoker which splits up what was intended as one continuous track.
It took me a while to fully embrace the format back in the day, but I soon grew to prefer it. There were plenty of vinyl releases back in the 80s that sounded like absolute shite, due to flimsy materials, etc. By the same token, many CDs weren't properly mastered for the format and likewise sounded fucking dreadful.
I recall an 'Ask Earache' episode where Dig admitted that the vinyl re-issues of the first few Morbid Angel albums were taken directly from the CDs. Add this to the fact that most vinyl pressing plants work from digital files anyway and most albums are recorded digitally and it becomes very much a moot point as to the supposed 'superiority' of vinyl over CD.
It could also be argued that vinyl 'collectors' are vacuous, elitist cunts who probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 6817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341  Next