www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Favourite News Story
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 2772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 139  Next
 Favourite News Story 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Favourite News Story
Cumbria going though the mill. A lot of people dead.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Immigrants to face English test

Immigrants coming to Britain to marry or join their partner will soon be asked to take an English language test first.

All non-European migrants will have to demonstrate basic communication skills that enable them to deal with everyday life before receiving a visa.

The measure, due to come into force this autumn, will apply to spouses and unmarried couples who are already in Britain as well as overseas applicants. Anyone wishing to come to Britain must first demonstrate they can speak English at the same level required for skilled workers admitted under the points-based system.

The introduction of an English language test was one of four key elements of the Conservatives' election manifesto. Prime Minister David Cameron said he wanted to promote the integration of newcomers into British society. But his deputy Nick Clegg questioned similar policies under Labour and highlighted how Britons may struggle abroad if other nations implemented tests.

Home Secretary Theresa May said: "I believe being able to speak English should be a pre-requisite for anyone who wants to settle here. The new English requirement for spouses will help promote integration, remove cultural barriers and protect public services. It is a privilege to come to the UK and that is why I am committed to raising the bar for migrants and ensuring that those who benefit from being in Britain contribute to our society.

"This is only the first step. We are currently reviewing English language requirements across the visa system with a view to tightening the rules further in the future. The announcement is one of a wide range of measures the new Government is taking to ensure that immigration is properly controlled for the benefit of the UK, alongside a limit on work visas and an effective system for regulating the students who come here."

The prospect of English language tests for migrants heading for Britain was raised several times by the previous administration. In 2002, the then home secretary David Blunkett announced proposals for tests on language and the ways of British life. Citizenship tests were introduced but English tests for foreign spouses failed to win backing and were quietly shelved.

The new plans mean a spouse coming from outside Europe must provide evidence they have passed an English language test by an approved provider. Visa applicants in these circumstances must already meet a range of criteria before being allowed to enter the UK under current rules.

All applicants must show their marriage or partnership is genuine and that they can support themselves financially. Whether people are married in the UK or overseas, the non-UK partner must apply for a two-year settlement visa to come and live in the UK as a spouse. At the end of the two years they can apply to the UK Border Agency for indefinite leave to remain.

Last year some 38,000 visas for spouses were granted and a further 21,000 people were granted indefinite leave to remain. The move is likely to have a particular impact on Britain's Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities, who make up a large proportion of these figures.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100608/tu ... 23e80.html

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I think this is kind of pointless really. From living in a foreign country, I can tell you that not being able to speak the language perfectly doesn't really inconvenience other people much at all, it just makes life harder for you. Ditto for my ladyfriend's grandma, who can't speak English; no-one else cares when she just stays at home and keeps to herself - why should they? It just makes her life harder when it means she can't go to the doctor's without a family member to translate.
Admittedly this is my narrow view - perhaps someone who worked as a bailiff or call centre person could tell me different!

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

What about Irish, Scots Gaelic, Welsh, etc. etc. speaking UK citizens? Do they have to take the English test too? What a load of fucking bollocks. That's what you get for voting the Tories in, Brits.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:42 am
Post gone.

Last edited by Sacrebleurgh on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:11 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

robitusson wrote:
What about Irish, Scots Gaelic, Welsh, etc. etc. speaking UK citizens? Do they have to take the English test too? What a load of fucking bollocks. That's what you get for voting the Tories in, Brits.

I believe that the current requirement for new migrants is that you have to show basic competancy in one of the UK languages, so you could be a Bangladeshi immigrant proving you can speaking Gaelic, but not English.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:02 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Edward Penishands wrote:
I find it particularly frustrating when trying to explain to a non English speaker that their son is a little darling.

Doesn't a sound tasering work in every language?

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:46 pm
Post deleted so I don't get myself in trouble. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Sacrebleurgh on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:48 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

:shock:

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:43 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:

:shock:

What a load of old arse.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:56 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Wolf Bender wrote:
robitusson wrote:

I believe that the current requirement for new migrants is that you have to show basic competancy in one of the UK languages, so you could be a Bangladeshi immigrant proving you can speaking Gaelic, but not English.

Cymraeg and Gaelic speakers were probably born here and 99.99% will be bilingual English speakers. Irish speakers will either be from the UK(NI) or Eire and are EU citizens. Cymraeg is the oldest language on this island so Jocks and Sais should have to be tested on it. If they fail they should be deported to Ireland (Jocks) or Germany (Sais).

I don't want to see immigrants persecuted in any way or to see immigration narrowly squeezed but various cultures from poor countries have tradtions of arranged marriages which brings poor, possibly uneducated people who often do not speak English to the UK, and potentially other members of their families. I don't think this is a good thing, we already have huge amounts British born, uneducated, impoverished and marginalised who were born here.

My landlord's friend is Sri Lankan he has indefinite leave to remain and has been here over ten years, he and his wife speak very little English and my landlord deals with banks, bills/taxes for them (he's also Sri Lankan and a fluent English speaker). Her son from a previous marriage is sixteen, was born here and his English is so poor he will fail most of his GCSEs. He was born here.

If I get on my PGCE course in all likelyhood I'll be teaching in Tower Hamlets which has a very large Bengali population and one of the areas with widespread problems like I mentioned above.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:02 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

That's interesting stuff Myr. I'd like to think that in the majority of cases though, the children speak English, even if their parents don't. My own very limited experience was working at a school with a large number of Somali and Pakistani kids; one teacher told me that parents evening was always hilarious as a lot of kids would translate for their parents, and obviously not be telling them what the teacher had actually said.

I don't think it's pedantic to point out that it's a long way from 99.99% of Welsh/Gaelic speakers who are bilingual with English. I was quite suprised to learn that there are actually quite a few people who only speak Welsh, and areas that are monoglot Gaelic - not large areas, admittedly, but they do exist.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:25 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Wolf Bender wrote:
That's interesting stuff Myr. I'd like to think that in the majority of cases though, the children speak English, even if their parents don't. My own very limited experience was working at a school with a large number of Somali and Pakistani kids; one teacher told me that parents evening was always hilarious as a lot of kids would translate for their parents, and obviously not be telling them what the teacher had actually said.

I don't think it's pedantic to point out that it's a long way from 99.99% of Welsh/Gaelic speakers who are bilingual with English. I was quite suprised to learn that there are actually quite a few people who only speak Welsh, and areas that are monoglot Gaelic - not large areas, admittedly, but they do exist.

There are only something like 60,000 Gaelic speakers, I'm not disagreeing with you but i'v never heard of monoglot areas. I've never head of anyone other than eldely Welsh people in rural areas who do not speak English. I have met quite a few North Walians who are very much English second language and you can hear that in their intonation, one girl I met who was younger than me hadn't began learning English until she was 10.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:30 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
There are only something like 60,000 Gaelic speakers, I'm not disagreeing with you but i'v never heard of monoglot areas. I've never head of anyone other than eldely Welsh people in rural areas who do not speak English. I have met quite a few North Walians who are very much English second language and you can hear that in their intonation, one girl I met who was younger than me hadn't began learning English until she was 10.
That's what I mean, maybe not monoglot then, but certainly with English as a second language. There was that Welsh chap on Big Brother who'd only just learned English to go on the show, I think.
Morf, is your first language English or Irish - or does it not quite work like that?

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:35 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Wolf Bender wrote:
Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
That's what I mean, maybe not monoglot then, but certainly with English as a second language. There was that Welsh chap on Big Brother who'd only just learned English to go on the show, I think.
Morf, is your first language English or Irish - or does it not quite work like that?

I think Morf is English first language from what I can remember, I don't think he's from the Gaeltacht. A large percentage of fully fluent Welsh speakers would be Welsh first language, but wouldn't have started learning English as late as 10, I'd be surprised if that bloke only learned to be on Big Brother, maybe he brushed up on his language skills rather than learned from scratch.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:42 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Ireland's mainly English speaking as a first language, there're a few areas where Irish comes first (Gaeltacht) and the odd spot where (like Myr mentioned) some elderly folks won't have a word of English, mainly islands off the West coast.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:53 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Yes, it's called Irish. Just like the country is called Ireland and not "Southern Ireland" or "the Republic of Ireland". Apparently now there's more Chinese speakers than Irish speakers in Ireland. That's what I heard anyway and I'd well believe it.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:53 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I called it Irish not Gaelic, I would write "Gwelga" if I knew how to spell it you whinging bastards.

It is officially Republic of Ireland/Eire, isn't it?

Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:56 am
My mum calls it Gaelic and she speaks it. :?

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:01 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Fine Points of the Law (I): In super-gay Rehoboth Beach, Del., it's against the law for men to reveal their junk, front or back, and it's against the law for women to reveal their stuff, front or back, or their breasts. But there's nothing in the law about men revealing the B- and C-cups they've just acquired as they set out on transgendering. News Journal (Wilmington)

Fine Points of the Law (II): Inventor Jiro Takashima, 75, says he never felt comfortable letting his Pro-State massager medical device ($78.50) be marketed off-label as a sex toy, but his daughter Amy Sung, 35, is a bit more capitalism-oriented and so packaged the same item as the Aneros ($49.95, on the rack right next to the Doc Johnsons). At medical conventions, the two of them are quite popular, but in their booth at sex expos, they are rock stars. A U.S. District Judge is currently deciding whether the pair can block knock-offs. Houston Chronicle /// Pro-State on Sale ($54.99)

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 139  Next